Author Topic: 100 Lux dynamo light  (Read 83406 times)

Re: 100 Lux dynamo light
« Reply #375 on: 12 January, 2018, 08:36:20 pm »
It does sound like both my lights have the same issue Kim identified but I don't find it too much of an issue, in fact it's a good indicator to ensure I have reconnected my dynamo correctly after the bike has been in the team car

The inconvenience of the switch fault depends mainly on the geometry of your bike, vis how easily you can reach the switch while in motion.

With my recumbents this is 'difficult' (requires sitting forward in the seat while freewheeling) and 'impossible' (you can't sit forward in the seat - the handlebars are in the way) respectively.  Similarly if it's mounted low on the forks or if access is blocked by luggage, or whatever.

When I thought it was bad design rather than a fault, I installed a handlebar-mounted switch which interrupts the supply from the dynamo.  Since the sensor doesn't actually switch the light off, and DRL - while occasionally useful - wastes power I might rather be charging batteries with, I've kept the extra switch for convenience.

Which switch is it? A good switch can maybe turn mine back to life (being used) again.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #376 on: 12 January, 2018, 09:09:36 pm »
Which switch is it? A good switch can maybe turn mine back to life (being used) again.

Because nice handlebar switches are hard, I used eBay's finest cheap shitty motorcycle light switch from China.

Something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-8-Motorcycle-Motorbike-Handlebar-Headlight-Fog-Spot-Light-On-Off-Switch-2Wire/152529341546

I de-soldered the supplied wiring (which is relatively thick) and connected Schmidt coax to the siwtch terminals directly, for neatness and to eliminate an extra point of failure.

It seems to work well enough.  Not *too* massive if there's somewhere sensible for it to fit on your bars.  It's following the "open, so the water drains out" school of weatherproofing, and the way I see it, if it can cope with DC and motorcycle speeds, it should be fine on a bicycle.

(If your IQ-X is in warranty, you might as well get a replacement, thobut.)

« Reply #377 on: 12 January, 2018, 10:31:21 pm »
I used this rewirable switch for an additional  'main' beam(hence switch):
http://www.classicmotorcyclespares.com/index.php/default/dip-switch-universal-style.html#Switches

« Reply #378 on: 12 January, 2018, 10:42:52 pm »
It's almost a wonder we don't talk about T-lights rather than DRLs
That's because cars started using daytime lights long enough before pedal bikes that DRL was already a widely accepted term

« Reply #379 on: 12 January, 2018, 11:23:37 pm »

Because nice handlebar switches are hard, I used eBay's finest cheap shitty motorcycle light switch from China.

Something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-8-Motorcycle-Motorbike-Handlebar-Headlight-Fog-Spot-Light-On-Off-Switch-2Wire/152529341546

I de-soldered the supplied wiring (which is relatively thick) and connected Schmidt coax to the siwtch terminals directly, for neatness and to eliminate an extra point of failure.

It seems to work well enough.  Not *too* massive if there's somewhere sensible for it to fit on your bars.  It's following the "open, so the water drains out" school of weatherproofing, and the way I see it, if it can cope with DC and motorcycle speeds, it should be fine on a bicycle.

(If your IQ-X is in warranty, you might as well get a replacement, thobut.)

In that case I might better dig out the old Shimano switches I still have somewhere in a box.
I already sent in the IQ-X once, Bumm doesn't rate this as a failure....

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #380 on: 12 January, 2018, 11:27:30 pm »
I already sent in the IQ-X once, Bumm doesn't rate this as a failure....

They did when I emailed them about it.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #381 on: 13 January, 2018, 09:53:19 pm »
Assuming you've got a bike that's light enough and unencumbered by luggage so you can easily pick up the front end and spin the wheel to switch on, that bit's not really a problem. What's far more of a problem in practice is riding the first ten metres in darkness. And not having standlights until you've ridden a bit further.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #382 on: 23 September, 2018, 09:39:57 pm »
Anyone tried the 'baby' version 70 lux IQ-XS yet?

« Reply #383 on: 10 November, 2018, 09:30:13 am »
Slight thread resurrection - sorry haven't read through all 16 pages...
Are these still considered a decent light, or have things moved on?  They're currently available for £65. a good buy, or are there better at around the same price?
Thanks

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #384 on: 10 November, 2018, 12:28:47 pm »
Not personally, but I know someone who has one on a bike he's currently riding round Japan. He seemed very pleased with it before he left, but he'd hardly (if at all) used it at that point, so I'll ask him when he's back. It certainly looks very neat.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #385 on: 10 November, 2018, 12:31:43 pm »
Slight thread resurrection - sorry haven't read through all 16 pages...
Are these still considered a decent light, or have things moved on?  They're currently available for £65. a good buy, or are there better at around the same price?
Thanks
Very good for the German price.  On no account should you pay SJSC price!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #386 on: 10 November, 2018, 01:09:38 pm »
Frankly it’s a bargain at £65.

I think you’d pay more for an Edelux 2, which seems better made and more reliable but does give any better light (may actually be not quite as good based on my two, but they’re mounted differently so not quite fair comparison)

Both are more than fine though

Mike

« Reply #387 on: 10 November, 2018, 02:44:11 pm »
Thanks for the comments, yes looks a good deal so I've ordered one.
Light collection will now be - Original Supernova E3 with upgraded LED about eight years ago - Edulux mk1 and now this B&M.  reading the reviews I may need to shuffle them around a bit to match the lights to the bikes as their usage is a bit different.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #388 on: 10 November, 2018, 04:51:17 pm »
Most (all I think) of the German places doing the light charge at least 5 for postage

But even so, quite a good deal.  I had an early one that failed, might get another.  Usually the later versions of B&M stuff are better

« Reply #389 on: 26 November, 2018, 11:43:36 am »
First non urban ride with it last night, impressive, I was concerned by the comments that it's a narrow beam, unnecessarily as it's at least as wide as my other lights which I've never considered inadequate.  I know the technology has been improving over recent years,  I hadn't realised by how much, it considerably outshines the others.  Having avoided the lumen wars for a decade I find myself being drawn back in.  I've made the mistake of custom fitting it to the bike which probably needs it least...   

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #390 on: 26 November, 2018, 12:24:14 pm »
I used to have a IQ-X (100Lux), also have had old Cyo(60 Lux), Luxos-U(70 Lux) and now Cyo premium(80 Lux)

The IQ-X, the Luxos and the Cyo premium all have a "flatter" beam pattern than the old Cyo.  But they are otherwise predictable that the more Lux the better

« Reply #391 on: 26 November, 2018, 02:16:28 pm »

I've ordered one today so will report back once it's arrived and I've ridden it a bit.

I already have an Edelux I, Edelux II, B&M IQ-X and  Supernova E3 pro so will be interesting to compare the 'baby' IQ-XS and see how it fares for a light roughly 1/2 (or less) the price of any of  the others.

« Reply #392 on: 26 November, 2018, 06:59:34 pm »
I had a Supernova E3 pro, but sold it to fund an Edulux II. I much prefered the beam pattern of
the Edulux II and thought it much brighter too.