Author Topic: 100 Lux dynamo light  (Read 83687 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: 100 Lux dynamo light
« Reply #50 on: 07 April, 2016, 02:10:22 pm »
Presumably the whole thing together counts as one item and tickles Her Maj's Shiny Things Box. But not her Shining Things Box. It does seem odd though that they'd even bother to get it certified to a standard no one enforces or takes any notice of!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #51 on: 07 April, 2016, 11:17:27 pm »
Okay, it eventually got dark enough to be worth going for a ride, so instant review time:

Firstly, DarkerSide's video is a reasonable representation of what the beam looks like, though bear in mind the eye sees more outside the bright part of the beam than the camera does.

So, what you've got is a lovely smoothly illuminated nearfield, and then a couple of brighter wedges in a very shallow inverted V with an extremely sharp cutoff above it, to throw more light down the road.  I can't over-emphasise how even the nearfield beam is - it wipes the floor with the Cyo Premium's weird artefacts, and is reminiscent of a mountain bike light's flood mode if it only shone below the horizontal.  The top part of the beam is a bit like having a pair of partly overlapping 60 Lux Cyos side-by-side, aimed just above the half-a-mountain-bike-light.  Hopefully that description makes some sense...

So, I did a short ride taking in an assortment of traffic densities, street lighting and off-road cyclepaths:

The first thing I noticed was how bright all the reflective road signs and number plates were, and how much they were flickering as the bike's suspension did its thing.  Pretty much like you get from a car's dipped headlights when you drive over an unsurfaced road (and a reminder to re-adjust my suspension damping after servicing the fork last week).  I stopped at a convenient car park with a fence to aim at, and re-aligned the beam downwards slightly, so it wasn't shining above the horizontal when I lay back in the seat.  This reduced the flicker from road signs, and seemed to keep the beam off the windows of overtaking cars (the numberplates were still brightly illuminated).  Otherwise, like most other bike lights in urban traffic, the effect is mostly lost in streetlighting and car headlights, other than the well-lit nearfield.

On less cluttered but street-lit residential roads, the distance illumination is more apparent, and seems similar to that from a Cyo Premium.  I noticed the colour temperature of the LED seems to match that of the streetlights that were recently installed in our area, so it's not obvious where the side edge of the beam is.

But where it really got interesting was on the local Sustrans route (in lieu of a properly dark lane):  Unlit, mostly tarmac, varying hazards and appropriate speeds.  The beam on this thing is huge, and you've got the even nearfield illumination to make sense of the surface conditions while still having plenty of brightness thrown into the distance for spotting people, dogs, bollards and so on.  As a recumbentist, I was pleased to note less foot flash than the Cyo (tbh, it's more a case of foot blanking of the spill at the edge of the beam - you don't really notice the illumination of your feet), and that the extra width meant that tight cornering without the aid of a head torch[1] was practical.

Downsides?  Well, there's a noticeable darker strip between the two parts of the beam - not that it isn't lit, but you do notice it as a beam artefact.  Also, as the distant part of the beam is such a narrow vertical angle with sharp cut-off, it's very sensitive to vertical alignment.  On a suspended bike dealing with BCC's finest tree rooted hand-rolled shared path, the cutoff and dark strip bounce around, drawing your attention to the shape of the beam, rather than what it's illuminating.  On proper machine-rolled road, this is much less of a problem, and I expect the effect is much less on a rigid bike.

As there's so much light on the road, you become acutely aware that you're illuminating pedestrians from the waist down.  I was amused by the sight of a dog being walked by what momentarily appeared as a pair of disembodied trousers.

In the absence of an assistant, I didn't get to look into the beam with my remaining eye, other than by putting the bike on its stand and observing the standlight.  From ~30 metres the lamp pleasingly appears as a white disc.  If you crouch down into the beam it becomes the usual point source of glare.

I also couldn't do side-by-side comparisons with the Cyo Premium (and they wouldn't be completely fair anyway, as it's mounted very low on a Brompton), but subjectively there's a *lot* more light.  Whether it's worth the price differential is going to come down to how much night riding you do and the speed/conditions.  I can see this being a worthwhile upgrade if fast descents are a feature.  I don't have a Luxos to compare.

I can't comment on the annoyingness or otherwise of the blue ring - there's a derailleur post in the way.  It doesn't appear to be excessively bright.

[1] This is often an issue on cycles where lighting is fixed to the frame rather than the steering axis.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #52 on: 08 April, 2016, 07:09:16 pm »
Interesting review. Looking at Darkerside's video and comparing the beam with my (battery powered) Exposure Strada, it looks much narrower and also more of a spot – a circle – than I'm used to, but the eye is probably more sensitive than the camera to the less illuminated parts of the beam. Within that spot it certainly does look even.

I've got no intention of switching to a dynamo (I can see the advantages but not to the extent that it would be worth replacing my Strada, which I'm very pleased with) but I have been vaguely thinking of seeing if there'd be any interest in a forum night ride this summer, so maybe there'll be a Strada v ... what was the name of this one? It's not another Luxos, is it?... comparison opportunity.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #53 on: 08 April, 2016, 07:30:20 pm »
It's called "Lumotec IQ-X".  Which counts as imaginative compared to "Lumotec IQ OneFive" (a 30Lux  light designed for 1.5W dynamos that they seem to have sneaked out below the radar).

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #54 on: 11 April, 2016, 10:59:38 pm »
Before I forget again, I've realised (I'm sure everyone else has too) why it has a BS certification for its reflector. It's because UK law requires a front reflector on new bikes @pos. So this allows sensible boring manufacturers of sensible boring bikes, like Thorn, Ridgeback or Spa, to fit a sensible boring dynamo and still sell a new bike legally.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #55 on: 11 April, 2016, 11:16:30 pm »
IIRC well known sensible-if-not-actually-boring bike manufacturer Brompton were (?are) fitting Cyo 'R's, presumably for the same reason.  (The equivalent 60Lux version would be better optically at 16" fork crown height.)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #56 on: 21 April, 2016, 03:11:41 pm »
Okay, having ridden with the IQ-X a bit (though not much in darkness), I've come to the conclusion that the switch arrangement is profoundly annoying.  The way it seems to work is this:

Starting with the light on, come to a stop and it goes to standlight.  Eventually the standlight discharges and it goes dark.  Start riding again and it comes on, as you'd expect.

Press the switch while riding along, and it toggles the light on and off as you'd expect.

Press the switch when it's in standlight mode, and it turns off.

Press it again and nothing happens, even though the capacitor has charge.

So if you turn the light off using the switch, the only way you can get the light working again is to start riding your bike and then press the button.  Which means setting off in darkness, and possible contortions to reach the button at the front of your recumbent, fork crown of your folder, or underneath your bar bag.  If you're not a fan of daylight running lights this could get boring quite quickly.

« Reply #57 on: 21 April, 2016, 09:51:54 pm »
Mine arrived today. The first big ride with it is scheduled for end of may.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #58 on: 23 April, 2016, 09:51:08 pm »
Did last night's FNRttC with it.  A couple of observations:

I managed to get a bit of time on my own on the token dark laney bit up to Higham.  The performance was impressive, particularly the width of the beam - good coverage of the usual area in front as you'd expect from a Cyo, but spreading all the way to the far side of the road on the right, and thoroughly covering the verge on the left.  Occasionally enough light off to the left to illuminate the crops in the adjoining field.

As previously noted,  the beam is wide enough that you don't get a dead spot when going round corners on a recumbent.

Judging by the reflection on convenient bus shelters and shop windows, the dedicated side visibility optics put out enough light to be visible in the glass of bus shelters and shop windows.  I appear to have fortuitously aligned things so the right side shines through the gap between the middle and big chainrings a bit, which is nice.

The bright illumination of retroreflectives in an urban environment - particularly traffic cones which get the brunt of the beam - was still striking (though not as much as when a member of the flashing front light brigade was riding behind me  >:().

Related: If you're the sort of person who feels inclined to complain about riders in front having bright reflectives, this isn't the light for you.  At group riding distances an Ortleib pannier's reflective patch or similar is incredibly bright.  As the beam is fairly wide, riding slightly off to the side (as savvy night riders tend to do to avoid putting the rider in front in their own shadow) doesn't always work for keeping the beam off them.  If you happen to catch a specular reflection of the light off the outer surface of the bike in front's rear reflector, it can be quite blinding (though the same can be said of most lights).

The effect on a Provis jacket in the middle distance as crap road surfaces bounced the top of the beam around was indescribable.  It reminded me of the way characters in 90s platform games flicker out when killed.   :D

I should also say that it got about an hour and a half of light rain, followed by a couple of hours of intermittent spray from riders in front without mudguards.  No apparent issues.  I'll report back whenever it gets the full Mancunian treatment.

I think this light would benefit from a group riding mode with greatly reduced output, particularly to the upper beam.  If you're planning to do a lot of that, then you might want to consider some alternative lighting arrangement to switch to.   A/B switching with a Lyt might be a good option, if you can work out a good way to mount them.

« Reply #59 on: 30 April, 2016, 11:49:02 pm »
Before I forget again, I've realised (I'm sure everyone else has too) why it has a BS certification for its reflector. It's because UK law requires a front reflector on new bikes ....
No, at point of sale UK law requires a front lamp OR a front reflector
(and at 'night'  a front lamp is required but the front reflector is optional*).

http://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-library/regulations/safety-regulations

I suspect Brompton supply UK buyers with the lesser Cyo R because the Germans do require both lamp and front reflector.

* http://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-library/regulations/lighting-regulations

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #60 on: 01 May, 2016, 01:03:46 pm »
Before I forget again, I've realised (I'm sure everyone else has too) why it has a BS certification for its reflector. It's because UK law requires a front reflector on new bikes ....
No, at point of sale UK law requires a front lamp OR a front reflector
I stand corrected. Though I might have been correct until 2010!

(and at 'night'  a front lamp is required but the front reflector is optional*).
Clearly.

Nevertheless, it seems most likely they sell it with a BS reflector because it's much easier to get that than a BS light.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #61 on: 23 May, 2016, 01:52:42 pm »
Just remembered:  My IQ-X got bashed as I yanked the bike around the luggage area of a CrossCountry Voyager last weekend (there were two unreserved bikes occupying the three bike spaces), hard enough to mis-align the bracket.  Still works, no apparent damage.

I need to give some thought to replacing those torx bolts on the bracket, though.  It's no good if you need two torx bits (not even the disc brake size that tends to feature on multi-tools) to adjust it away from home.

« Reply #62 on: 23 May, 2016, 08:30:32 pm »
Interesting review. Looking at Darkerside's video and comparing the beam with my (battery powered) Exposure Strada, it looks much narrower and also more of a spot – a circle – than I'm used to, but the eye is probably more sensitive than the camera to the less illuminated parts of the beam. Within that spot it certainly does look even.

I've got no intention of switching to a dynamo (I can see the advantages but not to the extent that it would be worth replacing my Strada, which I'm very pleased with) but I have been vaguely thinking of seeing if there'd be any interest in a forum night ride this summer, so maybe there'll be a Strada v ... what was the name of this one? It's not another Luxos, is it?... comparison opportunity.
Just to say, if you call up exposure, they are coming up with new mounting options for the support cells. They sent me a new strap and a rubber thingy for mounting the 3.1 support cell to the underside of my stem. I find the Joystick on 10hr mode gives me plenty of light for audax. The 3.1 cell more than doubles this. At 66g (including cable but not mount), I don't mind carrying one.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #63 on: 26 May, 2016, 05:03:00 am »
Right, got mine yesterday, and the Thing2 is beavering away building Thing dynohub wheel number 9 (I think... we've sold a few) to run it.

Question: How do folks here deal with the trailing wires for the rear light?  we're not planning to use a rear light on this setup.
The light came shipped with the two spade connectors pushed together inside a single piece of plastic wrap. The instructions say the connectors must be "isolated" if not in use. I assume this means from each other and from frame and anything else.
I'm sort of half tempted to just cut them right off and then.... not sure what. Blob loose ends in epoxy and put a bit of heatshrink over them. But I hate the idea of irreversible cutting. But I also want them to be isolated and not look a big mess.

Cleaner suggestions?

EDIT: I also got part way through dismantling the housing to see if I can push them back inside it somewhere. Can't see I can. And also it draws to attention how much air-gap there is around the grommet. It'll be interesting to read the long term water ingress reports from people in places with Weather.

« Reply #64 on: 26 May, 2016, 10:05:14 am »
Just put a bit of shrinktube over the loose ends and shrink it. That works fine.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #65 on: 26 May, 2016, 11:12:56 am »
Cut the wires, I say.  You can always solder them back on.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #66 on: 26 May, 2016, 11:21:59 am »
Just put a bit of shrinktube over the loose ends and shrink it. That works fine.

That's what I'd do if there wasn't a rear light to connect to.  The loose ends will cunningly hide within the bracket on this one.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #67 on: 26 May, 2016, 11:31:14 am »
I didn't explain this very well

My one has no trailing wires.

There is a neat clippy spring steel box thing with a mini spade connectors in it built into the mounting bracket.  The wires come out of the IQ X and have a spade connector
point inside the box.  The exposed spade connectors have a bit of tubing (like shrink) over them

I think this looks much more weather proof and robust than the row of exposed connectors on the Luxos or the "tails" on the Cyo

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #68 on: 26 May, 2016, 11:38:15 am »
My one has no trailing wires.  There is a neat clippy spring steel box thing with a mini spade connector in it built into the mounting bracket.  Inside that there are the wires.  I think this looks much better than the row of exposed connectors on the Luxos or the "tails" on the Cyo

It's a shame it's not quite big enough for 4 pairs of spade connectors.  So while it hides the rear light connections, I've had to make the connection to the wire from the dynamo (cable run is longer than the supplied trailing wire) externally.  They obviously haven't thought of that.

I'm still undecided on how much I like it as a bracket.  The torx bolts are a major downside.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #69 on: 26 May, 2016, 11:41:46 am »

I'm still undecided on how much I like it as a bracket.  The torx bolts are a major downside.

I found the little Ikea-style key that the light comes with and also another T20 bit and tightened it up last night.
It would be better if it was a 4mm allen key

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #70 on: 26 May, 2016, 10:23:25 pm »
Oh I should have mentioned, I'm not planning to use the supplied mounting bracket, instead I'll be connecting it directly to a Velo-Orange Low Down Type 2 alike front wheel QR mount thing.  A benefit of that setup is it means basically no wiring run needed from dynohub to light. I just have very dangling unused rear spades to deal with.

The exposed spade connectors have a bit of tubing (like shrink) over them

So yeah mine had this, (what I called "inside a single piece of plastic wrap"). Problem is it has nothing to stop the two spades shorting together as best I can tell. Seems a dumb default configuration to ship it in, if they do want them left open circuit when not in use.

Last night I put black tape around one spade and then heat-shrinked the pair together. It'll do, but I'll need to fold them a bit to keep out the way. Once the wheel is built and test run in, I may eventually snip them off. (Consolation being even if I do want a rear light in future it's not like those mini spades are the only, or best, choice of inline connector to use there anyway)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #71 on: 30 June, 2016, 12:08:13 am »
Okay, having ridden with the IQ-X a bit (though not much in darkness), I've come to the conclusion that the switch arrangement is profoundly annoying.

[...]

So if you turn the light off using the switch, the only way you can get the light working again is to start riding your bike and then press the button.  Which means setting off in darkness, and possible contortions to reach the button at the front of your recumbent, fork crown of your folder, or underneath your bar bag.  If you're not a fan of daylight running lights this could get boring quite quickly.

Interestingly I've just fitted another IQ-X to a different bike, and found that this one doesn't have this 'feature'.  Instead, as long as there's some charge left in the capacitor, you can switch the light back on when stationary (it will resume standlight functionality from where it left off, mimicking the behaviour of the Cyo Plus's physical switch).

Intrigued, I emailed B&M asking if this was a design change or a fault and received this reply:

Quote from: i.A. J. Dietrich
Dear Kim,
we are sorry to hear that there are problems with your IQ-X.
The effect which you describe is an malfunction. Please reclaim this IQ-X at your dealer.
If there are any further questions, please don´t hesitate to contact us again. 

Which is pretty unambiguous.

I'm now awaiting a response from Pedal Pedal about returning it...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #72 on: 30 June, 2016, 01:38:58 pm »
I'm now awaiting a response from Pedal Pedal about returning it...

Just received an email, they're going to return it to the distributor, and have attached a postage paid return label for me to use.

Wonder how long this is going to take...

« Reply #73 on: 30 June, 2016, 10:46:35 pm »

Intrigued, I emailed B&M asking if this was a design change or a fault and received this reply:

Quote from: i.A. J. Dietrich
Dear Kim,
we are sorry to hear that there are problems with your IQ-X.
The effect which you describe is an malfunction. Please reclaim this IQ-X at your dealer.
If there are any further questions, please don´t hesitate to contact us again. 

Just some technical German, J. Dietrich wasn't the real author, it was written by someone anonymous on behalf of J. Dietrich (possible head of customer services or something similar). i.A. means 'im Auftrag'.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #74 on: 30 June, 2016, 10:48:08 pm »
Ah, I did wonder.  It was an automated signature, so the weird case stood out.

(Dodgy IQ-X is now in the post...)