Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 524504 times)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #3225 on: 27 July, 2018, 07:22:17 pm »
The Helpers' ride is locked in for rendezvous at the Witham Labour Hall @ 7am Saturday, with at least one scoop up along the way about 40 minutes later. 
The train is actually scheduled to arrive at 07.02 so it will be at least 07.05 when we make it to the Labour Hall - although I suspect this is only an issue if we have a Pscylist Arrow style spreadsheet for the day (unlikely I think).

Is the route sheet to check the one currently on Aukweb? If so will print and bring with us.
Yes, the route sheet and GPX to check are as uploaded to AUKweb.  I've just downloaded from there myself to verify I uploaded the current version  ;D
I think we have our merry band for tomorrow (Jem and Sister Carol are playing the family time card in disguise of CBA)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3226 on: 27 July, 2018, 08:56:20 pm »
Bivvy Night was discussed at our end of the gathering - looking at August dates, there aren't may Friday/Saturdays when I'm free; September likewise, so October might be a better option? East Mersea seems to be a popular choice of venue.

Certainly offshore seems like a great idea - though I was hoping to take advantage of the August weather for my first attempt... Fridays & Saturdays are the obvious ideal but I am happy to do a Thursday if that works? (Still need to buy a bivvi that isn't bright orange and has a mozzie net!)

ETA: I am notice to head abroad in Aug for work at the moment so Thurs 2 or Thurs 9 Aug might work for me (23 Aug is results day so may have to be at home for that)

Ivy night!!!  Yes

« Reply #3227 on: 02 August, 2018, 01:05:40 pm »
If you hear noise, it ain't the boys...

Kool and the Gang were about the only people not at the inaugural MEMWNS ladies night at the Spiritual Home yesterday evening.

It all started off quietly enough when I rolled up to Spa to find Stanners Kiwi, Hotblack, the Hustler, Jem and Huggy raring to go.  When I say raring to go what I mean is standing around admiring Stanners' new steed (very nice with very shiny fenders) and trying to work out the shortest and flattest route to the Spiritual Home.  In the end we extended our loop slightly, covering a massive 17km before we arrived at the pub.  In the Epiphany Field we found Bungle and Josie and OD and TCMR. It all looked quite civilised until we joined them.  We were soon joined by Bill Bailey, Toby's Dad, Philip Schofield and Tomsk.  Eventually Calico Jan pulled in (presumably as a control on a DIY 600) and we became 16 when Huggy's partner Laura arrived (by car but she still counts).  How disappointing for the ladies and most of the men that the Lynx was otherwise engaged.  Mind you, with no crash barriers or security on the premises, it could easily have got out of control if he had pitched up.

With so many of us there, the usual abuse was spread across several different conversations.  Every now and then you would hear an explosion of indignation from someone followed by mocking laughter from those closest.

We sampled Joust by Bishop Nick, Mandarina by Green Jack and Brewers Reserve by Kent Brewery.  After a close run and contentious meeting of the judging panel, Mandarina took the coveted Quaffers' Choice Award, narrowly beating Joust in the process.  I am not sure if the wine drinkers and G&T drinkers among our number last night held their own votes and nor do I particularly care.  The poor Hustler was becoming increasingly fractious as he tried to cope with so many people ordering different drinks.  His mentor, Bungle, has booked him in for some re-training and a 360 degree appraisal.  Hopefully that will be the last hissy fit for a while.

It was difficult to follow all the lines of conversation and it was too dark to see anyone eventually but I did note that Pip Schofield (resplendent in his Mille Cymru jersey) was awarded his brevet for the ACME Grand and Bungle convened a meeting of the Dutch Sub-Committee (not an urban dictionary term but an actual thing).  The Dutch Trip (not an urban dictionary term etc) looks as if it is extending well beyond the original "most expensive 200 ever" concept that Schofield was so keen on last year.  We seem to have two tandems with us now so plenty of towage across the flat bits.  Huggy, meanwhile, was plotting how to spring his Dutch Oven (an urban dictionary term and an actual thing) party piece on Calico during their room share.

Having arrived much earlier than usual, it was inevitable that we left at closing time anyway.  It was still a lovely warm evening (I did pop a pair of socks on under cover of darkness but there was no need for Huggy's seven layers) but a bit fresher than of late and by the time I reached the coast it was becoming quite cool.  I had a closed road experience on the way home.  Having continued past all the signs as usual, I was met by a fence across the whole width of the road and two blokes saying the road was covered in melting liquids and impassable but I was welcome to cycle along the verge with its three foot high uncut grass - so the verge it was, much to the amusement of the many people involved in supervising those who were actually working on the road.

The Witham peloton also witnessed my first noticeable visitation since going tubeless in 2016 and what a drama it was !  I noticed latex spurting out of a hole in the sidewall of my very old tyre as we passed through Gt. Leighs on the way to the pub.  It soon stopped and I rode to the pub.  At the pub I pumped the missing 20 psi back into the tyre.  When I left the pub the combination of the additional pressure in the tyre and my weight on it led to a bit more spurting of latex so I put my finger over it for a whole 30 seconds, then I rode the 25 miles home.  I could hear various people muttering things about that's why they prefer tubes and it just puts them off trying tubeless.  In retrospect, I am sure they are right.  It would have been far easier to stop, loosen the hub bolts with a spanner, loosen the brake, take off my wheel, loosen the tyre, remove the tube, look for what had made the hole, put a new tube in, put the tyre back on, pump it up, put the wheel back on, tighten the brake, tighten the hub bolts with a spanner, ride for a few minutes, realise I hadn't found the thing that made the hole, stop again....Mind you, it is probably time that I replaced the tyre with the new one that I bought to replace it a few weeks ago  :facepalm:

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3228 on: 02 August, 2018, 01:23:45 pm »
Excellent, nicely written as always ted.  Having passed you heading into Witham as we were heading out it was good to see you rock up at the pub, we wondered if you were heading home.

The low point of my evening came when that cheeky scamp psyclist asked whether I was still capable of riding 200km.  When I pointed out that last year I had ridden the distance on Fred with over 30kg of kit on the bike he then enquired whether I had ridden the distance in one day  >:( 

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3229 on: 02 August, 2018, 01:36:57 pm »
he then enquired whether I had ridden the distance in one day  >:(
well, was it all on the same day??

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3230 on: 02 August, 2018, 01:46:40 pm »

YES!!!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3231 on: 02 August, 2018, 01:56:01 pm »
What a cracking night - I have no recollection on what we agreed on for the sub-committee meeting, something about moving the Tuesday night hotel location?

It was quite chilly in my Bivvy last night - I had to get out and go get a sleeping bag but at least I remembered a pillow this time.... still experiment #2 completed, bivvy in cycle gear after riding... and on the plus side, it didn't rain either...

Next experiment... an actual bike related bivvy!

Regards,

Joergen

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3232 on: 02 August, 2018, 01:59:17 pm »

YES!!!

20k short though but.....  :facepalm:

You need to get a 200 in to prove you might have overcome the 'turn left syndrome' - I think there's a local one near you this weekend, perhaps plus kudos for bringing Penelope out on it?  :thumbsup:

(seriously, there isn't much of a turn left (or right) option for the route at the moment on this year's trip, but you could double back on it to make it shorter - it does go over some big bridge like structures which I think you were interested in last year)
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3233 on: 02 August, 2018, 02:35:07 pm »
We are away this weekend - shame really!

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3234 on: 02 August, 2018, 02:40:32 pm »

Jan is probably doing a DIY tomorrow  :thumbsup: you could tag along lol  ;D
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3235 on: 02 August, 2018, 02:41:58 pm »

Jan is probably doing a DIY tomorrow  :thumbsup: you could tag along lol  ;D

I'm working, I have yet to retire, unlike Jan  ;D

« Reply #3236 on: 02 August, 2018, 03:33:12 pm »
I could hear various people muttering things about that's why they prefer tubes and it just puts them off trying tubeless.  In retrospect, I am sure they are right.  It would have been far easier to stop, loosen the hub bolts with a spanner, loosen the brake, take off my wheel, loosen the tyre, remove the tube, look for what had made the hole, put a new tube in, put the tyre back on, pump it up, put the wheel back on, tighten the brake, tighten the hub bolts with a spanner, ride for a few minutes, realise I hadn't found the thing that made the hole, stop again....
And that is exactly what I have finally found to be the true advantage of Tubeless. I was annoyed when I first got a puncture (5km into my tubeless experience) but I have since learnt that Tubeless does puncture but it should be a very rare occasion that it actually leads to needing to remove a tyre.

Changing your mindset to the fact you may have to hold your finger over a hole for a few seconds or maybe even stab your tyre with something sharp to help the sealant on it's mission it all comes good.

I will unlikely ever go back to tubes (even if I do still often carry one on longer rides....just in case)

« Reply #3237 on: 02 August, 2018, 03:48:08 pm »
I could hear various people muttering things about that's why they prefer tubes and it just puts them off trying tubeless.  In retrospect, I am sure they are right.  It would have been far easier to stop, loosen the hub bolts with a spanner, loosen the brake, take off my wheel, loosen the tyre, remove the tube, look for what had made the hole, put a new tube in, put the tyre back on, pump it up, put the wheel back on, tighten the brake, tighten the hub bolts with a spanner, ride for a few minutes, realise I hadn't found the thing that made the hole, stop again....
And that is exactly what I have finally found to be the true advantage of Tubeless. I was annoyed when I first got a puncture (5km into my tubeless experience) but I have since learnt that Tubeless does puncture but it should be a very rare occasion that it actually leads to needing to remove a tyre.

Changing your mindset to the fact you may have to hold your finger over a hole for a few seconds or maybe even stab your tyre with something sharp to help the sealant on it's mission it all comes good.

I will unlikely ever go back to tubes (even if I do still often carry one on longer rides....just in case)

I'm a believer, praise the latex.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3238 on: 13 August, 2018, 06:21:48 pm »
It's the beer festival at The Spiritual Home this weekend I am lead to believe :)

Do we have any collective plans to attend??

Regards,

Joergen

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #3239 on: 13 August, 2018, 09:01:28 pm »
Have an outside chance of being there on the Sunday after Jos and Linda did such a good job of selling it to me last weekend whilst manning the control desk.

« Reply #3240 on: 13 August, 2018, 09:08:16 pm »
Somewhere Tomsk posted a list of PBP qualifying rides he's planning to run next year. Does anybody know where that might be? I've checked the obvious places.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #3241 on: 13 August, 2018, 09:15:51 pm »
Somewhere Tomsk posted a list of PBP qualifying rides he's planning to run next year. Does anybody know where that might be? I've checked the obvious places.

It's here ... https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=108997.0

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #3242 on: 16 August, 2018, 09:41:50 am »
Once Upon a Time in the West

For those of us who do not live in the epicentre of mid-Essex, it is always a treat when the Witham peloton deigns to visit.  A couple of weeks ago they headed east and the venue was a few hundred yards from home so I thought I ought to make the effort to visit the western fringes last night.

The Cock Inn at Hatfield not Peverel has been visited before but it is about as far as we have been towards the western outer rim.  Beyond that, the map is just white with pictures of dragons.

On a pleasant summer evening (albeit with a nagging headwind) and quiet lanes, it was no bad thing to be travelling a bit further than usual.  I had made an early dinner date with Bungle and arrived to find him excitedly waiting outside for me at the appointed hour.  No sooner had we sat down at our candlelit table for two to pick our pie (for it was Pie Night), than the Westerners started to arrive.  It turned out that Bertie Wooster (gentleman cyclist) had instigated a three line whip and cajoled Bernster and T'sD out not only to the pub but for dinner as well.  We were soon joined by Mr and Mrs Spiritual Home, who were riding a tandem but more of that later.  Our merry band was completed when Ferdijand Magellan, Hotblack and Sid James finally managed to navigate their way across.  Judging by the state of Hotblack and Sid, they had not only got slightly lost but may have strayed into the badlands beyond. 

Having gorged on pies with chips and gravy - it's a northern thing that Bungle is trying to migrate down south, we moved on to sample; Rare Breeds by Butscombe, Korev lager by St Austell and (for those lucky enough to get in before it ran out) New England IPA by Adnams.  Rare Breeds took the Quaffers' Choice narrowly from Korev.

With such a gathering of noted cyclists (and me), talk inevitably turned to a series of increasingly improbable events with unfathomable initials.  Bertie, in particular, seems to have scoured the internet looking for the hardest and most unusual rides - 900km of off road MTB tracks on a road bike anyone ?  When he can't find something that fits, he makes one up.  This Saturday, "for fun", he is riding a 200k DIY across the South Downs Way on a unicycle (it might actually be a road bike on an off road trail).  With only 4000m of climbing and rain forecast this week, who could wish for a better day out.

When the SHs announced that they were off home, it was too much of a temptation for the rest of us - we have had tandems out before but they have never towed us home and with the added bonus they knew where they were going, the Withamites and Easterners were ready in double quick time.  What fun it was being towed through the lanes even if the promised tailwind never quite seemed to be working in our favour.  So much fun in fact that we allowed them to lead us astray at Howe Street leading to a circuitous route back across to Witham.  Once the tandem had sped off to SH Towers, the wind seemed to go out of Sid's sails.  The frisky rider that had been sprinting up hills on his titanium wonder bike was now a distant light behind us on the road.  He muttered something about saving himself for later as he limped on.  I am not even sure he made it home, it looked as if he was only going to get as far as Witham.  I hope he found somewhere to sleep, perhaps he had a bivvy bag with him.

Aside from the slighly depressing moment when I realised I wasn't even half way home and the street lights had been turned off, it was a quiet and pleasant ride back in blustery conditions.  I opted for a no sandals ride which was probably wise.  Does that mean they are back in the cupboard for another year ?

Next week Bungle wants to arrange some sort of convoluted planes, trains and automobiles outing that takes in the Clacton beer festival, that really is East.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3243 on: 16 August, 2018, 02:18:39 pm »
I am sorry I missed yesterday evening, I should have liked to attend and get some miles in my legs ahead the Dutch shindig.  But I was on WAG duty selflessly dining with The Current Mrs R and Mrs Oaky in that London place.  Heroic.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #3244 on: 17 August, 2018, 01:16:59 pm »
I am sorry I missed yesterday evening, I should have liked to attend and get some miles in my legs ahead the Dutch shindig.  But I was on WAG duty selflessly dining with The Current Mrs R and Mrs Oaky in that London place.  Heroic.

Slackers!

« Reply #3245 on: 23 August, 2018, 10:11:46 am »
Hot town, summer in the city.

How convenient that we should end up at the Woolpack during Bungle's rest week prior to his Devon escapade.  You would almost think he planned these things.

I arrived for a lonely supper having left about an hour before the usual Witham peloton departure time and ridden the usual 20 miles or so to the pub.  I was slightly surprised, therefore, when said peloton rocked up about fifteen minutes after me.  Bungle was claiming they had organised a fast and efficient paceline but Huggy admitted that they had done the bare minimum distance in their eagerness to reach the beer festival.

They were joined in the peloton by the Hustler, OD, NBM, William Kidd and Hotblack.  Our party was completed with the arrival of Tomsk and Doc Brown, both of whom had ridden a respectable mileage at least.

Not only was it a beer festival, it was also preview night at £2.50 a pint for Camra members - or at least those that had remembered their cards.  Fortunately, Ted Huggy, NBM Huggy, Hustler Huggy and Huggy Huggy all had a card, literally, a card.  Special mention on the sampling must go to OD who boldly went for a rather chewy 6.3% ale as his first sample.  His pint of Jazz Police at least gave us some amusement as we watched him struggle.  The Quaffers' Choice Award almost went to being able to buy very generous half pints for £1.25 but Strathaven Ale's Teuchter took the coveted prize in the end - not so good on beer miles but a fine brown ale.

Before too much sampling had taken place, Huggy Huggy managed to bring some order to proceedings (ie persuading OD to be quiet for more than 30 seconds) to make a sombre announcement - the sale of ACME's much loved team van.  OD looked particularly upset about this, which was odd as he rarely ventures out on audaxes these days - apart from his alleged annual 200 that is.  In fact, it turned out he just had a load of stuff to take to the dump.

The arrival of Mrs Bungle with two dogs meant a late migration to the beer garden where, oddly, it was warmer at 10 o'clock than it had been at 8.  OD, having finally managed to digest his Jazz Police, was in full flow by now, regaling us with his new career plans - I didn't think there was that much call for fluffers around these parts but he seems convinced.

The warm weather had also enabled a respectable turn out of sandals with four of us drawing jealous glances from other cyclists as we luxuriated in the comfort and style.  Last night was another reminder of just how pleasant Wednesday evenings are at this time of year with good weather and quieter than usual roads.  The first half of the ride back seemed to whizz by but it was quite a bit slower after I had alighted from the train at Marks Tey and got back on my bike for the last 20k home.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3246 on: 23 August, 2018, 11:05:30 am »
Brill report as always - I can see why Doggers retired now - just couldn't keep up the to teh expected quality!  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3247 on: 23 August, 2018, 11:16:16 am »
Brill report as always - I can see why Doggers retired now - just couldn't keep up the to teh expected quality!  :thumbsup:

There's only one Bard and it's ted. 

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3248 on: 30 August, 2018, 09:47:56 am »
What a super evening we had yesterday.  Alas The Bard was not among us but I will do my best...

I left the house a little early so did a quick loop which found me outside huggy's back gate in time to see him loading ACME kit into his Carradice.  An impromptu trying on session resulted in me purchasing an ACME gilet size XXXL  :o but despite the ridiculous sizing fitted very well and is proving to be comfy.  Slightly behind schedule we set off for the Spa Road roundabout where BFC was waiting.

A flit through Terling, then across the Boreham Road up TMNH to meet Grey Sheep by the Generals Arms.  Right turn into Riffhams Chase and I can hear mutterings at the back about not taking the direct route, mutterings which were ignored.  Instead of turning left down Dogger's Lane we carry on to Chapel Lane then left down Church Road and left again on to Hammonds Road, sneaking up on the doggers from the other side of the ford.  Amaze balls!  Prompted by Grey Sheep's Tweet the fly tipping have been cleared away.  There are two or three cars nature watching in the gathering dusk and I'm surprised to realise we have lost huggy and Grey Sheep.  BFC thinks they stopped on Chapel Lane; I conclude they were put off by the lack of route directness.  The trooper that he is, BFC is more than happy to accompany me as we twist and turn up and around TMNH.

Eventually, at 2124hrs, we get to The Cats.  Inside is Jem and her two consorts, The Lynx and Chris, plus huggy and Grey Sheep.  It transpires they did most of my loopy route and stopped on Chapel Lane to put fresh batteries in huggy's Hope.  Abbotts, IPA and G&T are sampled enthusiastically.  We talk about Jem and The Lynx's nuptials.  Jem is consumed by mirth every time someone says something even remotely smutty.  ACME kit is tried on and apparel purchased, or it will be if huggy remembers to send out his magical PayPal links.

There was one particular highlight for me.  Mrs Wally is sat at a neighbouring table talking to her friends.   BFC, in a voice a gnat's cock too loud, enquires of me "Is that Mrs Wally?".  Mrs Wally (Lynne) turns, looks at BFC then at me only to exclaim "You're the man who wrote that article in the magazine aren't you?"  With mental agility I'm not normally known for I immediately work out she is referring to my Arrivee article about how me, Oaky and chief turned huggy's 2107 R&R 200 into a pub crawl.  Mrs Wally jumps to her feet and rushes off upstairs to fetch the offending magazine - I'm somewhat taken aback and not a little worried!  Turns out Mrs Wally isn't offended at all - phew! - and loved the article!  I'm mystified as to how she saw the article let alone has her own copy in which she has highlighted the section about The Cats.  It transpires that a copy has found its way to The Peartree Pantry on Spring Lane, the Peartree Pantry folks know Wally and Lynne and passed the mag on to them!

Three rounds of drinks later we brave the slightly chilly night air, Jem declares she's a bit pissed and won't be bothering with her gears lest she falls off - that Abbotts is strong stuff!  But, nonetheless we make it back to Witham in the early hours of today.

A grand night awheel. 

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3249 on: 03 September, 2018, 11:04:42 am »
The ACME Merchandise Shop has new stock for adult sized people added to the existing Italian child sized stock.  The recent stock replenishment brought these now available to be sold to you:
Men's slim fit short sleeve jersey, £45: S, M, L, XL, XXL, XXXL
Ladies' club fit short sleeve jersey, £42: S, M, L
Gilet, £50: M, L, XL, XXL, XXXL

Let me know if you'd like me to bring a garment with me when out awheel or postage can be be arranged.