Linked Events

• Ride To The Goths: 04 November, 2016

Author Topic: Friday Night Ride to the Goths 4th November 2016  (Read 15110 times)

Re: Friday Night Ride to the Goths 4th November 2016
« Reply #50 on: 28 October, 2016, 04:46:41 pm »
You've still got a week to recover 😷
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

Chris S

« Reply #51 on: 28 October, 2016, 06:36:27 pm »
As I'm still lurgified & feel like death warmed up I don't think I'll be joining you for this.   Have fun.

Surely you'll be better by next week? Wotcha got, bubonic plague?  ;)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #52 on: 28 October, 2016, 06:54:54 pm »
I should probably clarify that I'm not coming:  The tedious Achilles injury seems to be on the mend, and I'm now rated for mild walking and driving, but I haven't risked cycling (or descending more than one flight of stairs) on it yet.  And obviously after 6 weeks of not leaving the house, I've got some lurgy too, for good measure.

Fortunately, my lack of mobility means you[1] don't have to put up with me ranting about how annoying it is.

[1] Where you != barakta.

« Reply #53 on: 28 October, 2016, 07:34:29 pm »
Well boo to the lurgified and injured, and yay to those of us who've been hoarding halloween tqt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #54 on: 28 October, 2016, 08:13:20 pm »
I expect photos.

« Reply #55 on: 01 November, 2016, 07:49:33 pm »
I have some great tat, I've been saving it for years. Not to mention the special Halloween playlist  :D One of these days, I will do what I've been threatening, and have the Monster Mash on permanent rotation all night.

Route-wise, I reckon we should do Murton - Warthill - back o'Stamford Bridge - Malton - A169 all the way to the Esk, then the run-in along the Esk and the waterfront.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #56 on: 01 November, 2016, 08:05:48 pm »
I seem to have said I'll be coming, Even though I last paid any attention to Guy Fawkes back in about 1980.
Is if definitely 'November' temperature I need to dress for???  I may just about manage a ninja look.
Am planning to arrive in time for a detour via the crinkly den, on the assumption that crinkles will be at home with (sleeping) cubs.
fwiw trains arrive either before 8 or before 10 (only 2-hourly  for Ips-Pbo leg)
I've left it too late to do anything other than a return to Darlo which is probably as easy as buying an add on.
Anyone like to comment on the requirement for a cycle reservation on the sunday?
ta.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #57 on: 01 November, 2016, 08:28:46 pm »
On the first of the whitby rides I ended up in my vest, having taken off my t-shirt because I was too warm... I did put a fleece on for the brew stop at the HofH, where it was a tad breezy :)

Yes, we can provide a lurking spot with (checks mental database of forumite drinks preferences) supplies of hot chocolate, I do believe?

Chris S

« Reply #58 on: 01 November, 2016, 08:54:27 pm »
Crinkly, happy for us to leave The Van in your street? If so, we'll drive down Friday eve, dump The Van and I'll come and collect it sometime later Saturday?

CrinklyLion

« Reply #59 on: 01 November, 2016, 08:59:25 pm »
Yep, no prob.  We might be out on the Saturday, depending on timings.... bonfire and fireworks to ooh and aaah at!

Chris S

« Reply #60 on: 01 November, 2016, 09:01:46 pm »
Yep, no prob.  We might be out on the Saturday, depending on timings.... bonfire and fireworks to ooh and aaah at!

:thumbsup:

« Reply #61 on: 02 November, 2016, 09:48:08 am »
For those coming from a distance, it has been damn cold the last few nights in York. 2C this morning with ice on cars. Friday is due to be a tad warmer, but maybe with a bit of drizzle, so I'd wrap up really warm.

I can't ride, but will try to meet up beforehand. Are people gathering at the station before the off?

Just read back up thread and seen that some people are gathering in the York tap from about 2218 onwards.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #62 on: 02 November, 2016, 11:08:59 am »
For those coming from a distance, it has been damn cold the last few nights in York. 2C this morning with ice on cars. Friday is due to be a tad warmer, but maybe with a bit of drizzle, so I'd wrap up really warm.

I can't ride, but will try to meet up beforehand. Are people gathering at the station before the off?

Just read back up thread and seen that some people are gathering in the York tap from about 2218 onwards.

Also looks like, via YR.NO, that Friday will be wet.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #63 on: 02 November, 2016, 03:21:52 pm »
Noooo, it can't be wet! :'(

I've finally decided it's time to dig out my trusty Northwave winter boots (must replace the cleats as they're ridiculously worn) as it's cold up here at the moment too. Saw my first gritter of the winter last night! :-\

Chris S

« Reply #64 on: 03 November, 2016, 10:07:29 pm »
My Great Nephew (FFS, I don't know - he's the son of my niece, work it out for yourself!) is something of a Goth, and in a Facebook exchange earlier, listed a load of Goth bands that he'd like to see, playing at Whitby this weekend. Sadly, he's in Brighton, so won't be able to make it.

ETA - I'm assuming this is the preferred route? https://goo.gl/cs9hpN

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #65 on: 03 November, 2016, 10:19:04 pm »
Well there's Heaven 17 who I'm sure you know, then there's The Mission who are basically The Sisters of Mercy, then there's Chasing Dragons who I've heard of but probably that's because they're local ...

Weather-wise, yr.no and metoffice.gov.uk both suggest that the first half of the ride will be dry, with maybe a shower or two later on.  We had rain n York this afternoon, so it's hopefully rained itself out for the next couple of days.

« Reply #66 on: 04 November, 2016, 12:55:15 am »
I'll try to fetch a small stove for a brew-up in Pickering - fetch your own water and beverage of choice.

« Reply #67 on: 04 November, 2016, 06:47:38 am »
 :thumbsup: I've got marshmallows to burn (though no spare spoke - will need to remember a skewer!).

CrinklyLion

« Reply #68 on: 04 November, 2016, 07:10:30 am »
There will be lions in the Den from around 4pm, so if anyone needs a lurking space beforehand, feel free to show up.  If you aren't sure of the Den's location, just PM me!

« Reply #69 on: 04 November, 2016, 08:56:43 am »
I've just checked the weather forecast again: looks as though there will be a strong headwind and rain from about 4-5am! :o

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #70 on: 04 November, 2016, 09:01:40 am »
I've just checked the weather forecast again: looks as though there will be a strong headwind and rain from about 4-5am! :o

I don't know what you are looking t, but I can see the rain but the wind is forecast to be from the NorthWest, so sort of a headwind (quartering).

By that time, though, we should be not far from the downhill bits into Whitby, going on previous runs (though Blue Bank might be a bit of a challenge in heavy rain...)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #71 on: 04 November, 2016, 09:11:12 am »

I don't know what you are looking t, but I can see the rain but the wind is forecast to be from the NorthWest, so sort of a headwind (quartering).

By that time, though, we should be not far from the downhill bits into Whitby, going on previous runs (though Blue Bank might be a bit of a challenge in heavy rain...)

I was looking at the BBC, so hopefully it's wrong!

Ah well, Blue Bank in the rain should be a good test for my disc brakes...

« Reply #72 on: 04 November, 2016, 02:23:58 pm »
Bugger, don't think i'm going to make it. Can someone else fetch a stove? Assuming you want hot drinks

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #73 on: 04 November, 2016, 03:02:27 pm »
I'll pack one.  I guess I need to bring tea and mugs too? 

Given that I work in Pick, I could always pack the work keys and invite you all in.  I doubt the boss would be too impressed, mind!

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #74 on: 04 November, 2016, 03:27:08 pm »
I'm afraid that I won't be able to make it tonight. These sudden changes in the weather are playing absolute havoc with my sciatica. :-(

Enjoy the ride! :-)
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome