Author Topic: Beer!  (Read 88513 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: Beer!
« Reply #450 on: 14 February, 2018, 08:00:45 pm »
Somehow, can't think why  O:-) I ended up at 6-deg north again this evening.

Beef stew, with an oaked porter, followed by a wee sniffer of a 12% Imperial stout by the name of Death.  If this is death, I hope there's an afterlife.  Both beers by Northern Monk.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #451 on: 14 February, 2018, 08:20:23 pm »
Maybe one of these days we'll get a pint with you...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #452 on: 14 February, 2018, 08:32:55 pm »
I had a third of Death at the weekend. Splendid. Try the Glory, if you get the chance.

We did the Bermondsey beer mile for the first time in a while at the weekend. Even more stuff has popped up, it's a fair challenge again. Southwark Brewing (a bit unexciting, we skipped), Bianca Road (a bit off the main drag, but a nice blood orange IPA), London Beer Factory (they're barrelling stuff, but have taps, Hazy Days and Spring Thyme are nice), a cider place we skip because madame doesn't like apples, Anspach & Hobday (a Red IPA), Bottleshop (the aforementioned Death and Glory), UBrew (we skipped, owing to the two hefty thirds we'd just had), Moor (obviously co-locating from Bristol, another nice black IPA), BBNo (x2, we did the second, some kind of fruity hefe weisse), (no) Kernel (because sulky pants), Affinity (Belgian golden ale, they have some really interesting stuff), Spartan (just getting going, it seems, don't have any brewing equipment; a smoky pale ale), eeBria (Redwillow tap takeover, I think we had a tasty session IPA), Partizan (oh I can't remember, but I think I enjoyed it, and a squashsage roll that I'd forgotten about in my pocket), and Fourpure for the new taproom extension opening (and three new beers which I'm sure where nice but I don't remember other than an imperial bourbon maple stout, oh and tour of their new kit).

I couldn't manage that every weekend, but I'm limbering up for Craft Beer Rising.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #453 on: 14 February, 2018, 08:37:55 pm »

Definitely, I've been somewhat disorganised in planning Aberdeen evenings these last couple of trips
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #454 on: 14 February, 2018, 08:39:13 pm »

Definitely, I've been somewhat disorganised in planning Aberdeen evenings these last couple of trips

:thumbsup:

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #455 on: 14 February, 2018, 08:40:18 pm »
We did the Bermondsey beer mile...

That sounds like a looong mile  :)

ian

« Reply #456 on: 14 February, 2018, 08:46:54 pm »
Google says it's about 1.3 miles. A bit extra to get to Bianca, but we had quesadilla to sustain us. As it was a soggy and very cold Saturday afternoon, not especially busy either (other than Fourpure).

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #457 on: 15 February, 2018, 07:43:48 pm »
Windswept Clavie smoked porter. Om nom nom...  :P

ian

« Reply #458 on: 16 February, 2018, 08:31:35 pm »
Mr Smith Gose to...

Watermelons. If you like. I do. A bit summery for the conditions mind, the sort of beer from barbecues and warm evenings.

I think in an attempt to moderate my cold, I need to step up a level to the sort of IPA that can destroy a city block or three.

« Reply #459 on: 17 February, 2018, 11:38:25 am »
Pedigree is now bottle conditioned, I noticed the other day as I poured a bottle.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

ian

« Reply #460 on: 18 February, 2018, 06:40:33 pm »
Quite enjoyed working through the stock at Ghost Whale in Brixton yesterday. A good selection of bottles and a couple of taps.

As a friend of mine lamented, he remembered the once-upon-a-time when he got mugged in Brixton, as was tradition back then. And all they took was his takeaway jerk chicken.

« Reply #461 on: 24 February, 2018, 10:03:03 pm »
Quite enjoyed working through the stock at Ghost Whale in Brixton yesterday. A good selection of bottles and a couple of taps.

As a friend of mine lamented, he remembered the once-upon-a-time when he got mugged in Brixton, as was tradition back then. And all they took was his takeaway jerk chicken.

If only KFC hadn’t run out of chicken.

Anyway tonight we have been sampling “Dead Pony Club “ and Harviestoun “Bitter and Twisted” in celebration of a rare Scottish victory over England.  Of the two , the Harviestoun brew is the better .

ian

« Reply #462 on: 02 March, 2018, 09:10:51 pm »
Fourpure Deep South peach sour. Not so sour, very fruity. Deceptively quaffable.

Pressure Drop Dandelion and Burdock Porter. Not lying. If you like D&B, it's pretty awesome. Go to their tap room, they're very nice people.

We did Craft Beer Rising last weekend. It's a bit commercial these days, but some good stuff. We got bundled into an American Beer Association tasting which was very good and very free. Though the couple next to us 'didn't like dark beer.' WTP. In this case Wrong Fucking Place, guys. My favourite was Six Points Hootie Hoo which was an awesome nuclear hop blast. We got extra dark beers for some reason (thanks guys). Very much also enjoyed the Port City Monumental IPA too. Nice place to go if you're in Alexandria, VA, btw (my employers have mothership hovering overhead).

Owing to my wife's fluttering eyelashs we seem to have secured brewery tours in USAnia and free stuff in the mail. She's utterly shameless. Long may it continue.

« Reply #463 on: 04 March, 2018, 01:04:19 pm »
I had a third of Death at the weekend. Splendid. Try the Glory, if you get the chance.

Ha, came on this thread to say I had a can of Death last night. Very nice...

ian

« Reply #464 on: 06 March, 2018, 07:43:53 pm »
Good Night, Future Boy! Beavertown-Cloudwater collab, snarfed out of their taproom fridge because it had a nice can. I'd not read the label.

I can't say I've rated lager-IPA confluence before, so I wasn't ready to be blown away.

I wish I'd bought more cans. All of them.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #465 on: 06 March, 2018, 08:09:40 pm »
Oh rly? How many % was that? Beavertown sensible or Cloudwater daft?

ian

« Reply #466 on: 06 March, 2018, 08:27:48 pm »
Cloudwater isn't daft, you just have to drink it slower. Actually, they do some OK ABVs, I have a couple in the 5-6% range hiding somewhere about the house.

Anyway, I think it was 5.8% or thereabouts. Basically brewed with pilsner malts but hopped up (and not overboard). We also got some Do Not Open Until 1985 (also a Cloudwater collab) – a DIPA at a more morning unfriendly 9%. Also very good, but I liked the IPL better. The best DIPA and IPAs at the moment are from Verdant. Consistently awesome.

Also had some BbNo DDH Pale Anniversary Ale which everyone has raved about, but I thought it was mostly OK. I'm not complaining but socks failed to be blown off.

In other news, the micropub near us is doubling its number of keg lines to four. I've never seen anyone else drinking the keg stuff, so that might be my fault.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #467 on: 06 March, 2018, 08:42:49 pm »
Two Roads Tanker Truck sour series, Plum Gose.
Cat not to scale.
2018-03-06_08-39-16 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #468 on: 10 March, 2018, 08:04:09 pm »
Partizan tap takeover at 6°N. Om nom nom.

IMG_0549_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

ian

« Reply #469 on: 11 March, 2018, 06:44:48 pm »
Their actual taps in the their new(ish) tap room are appropriately cool. Their porter is quite nice. Also, they did couple a collabs with Modern Times including a nice IPA.

Had some nice Trois Dames stuff at the Bottleshop (and caught the owner eagerly grabbing several bottles as a belated delivery came in).

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #470 on: 11 March, 2018, 11:21:48 pm »
I thought the porter was a bit sweet. Mrs P described it as bein like 'flat coke'. I wonder what she's sticking up her nose these days. The stout was good. Anyway, we both liked the 6% IPA  :P

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #471 on: 12 March, 2018, 06:01:44 pm »
^ Grew up on that stuff :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

ian

« Reply #472 on: 12 March, 2018, 06:13:40 pm »
I thought the porter was a bit sweet. Mrs P described it as bein like 'flat coke'. I wonder what she's sticking up her nose these days. The stout was good. Anyway, we both liked the 6% IPA  :P

I think most porters tend towards the flat coke spectrum and there does seem to be a trend toward the sweet. Not my favourite beer style, but I thought the Partizan one was interesting. Much prefer the imperial stouts.

Anyway, stars of the weekend were Verdant's I Played Bass on the Tune and BbNo's Grape DIPA. The Lervig / Oud Beersel Acid Crush was pleasant and I wasn't sure how that would go (IPA meets lambic, erm).

Also very good was Arbor's Super Yakima, a very balanced DIPA and a step back from some of the attempts to cram as much hops as possible, which was no bad thing and a good way to end the weekend.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #473 on: 12 March, 2018, 07:00:26 pm »
A one-litre can?

(Boggles)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Pingu