Author Topic: Beer!  (Read 88479 times)

Re: Beer!
« Reply #600 on: 26 September, 2018, 07:49:46 pm »
I'll be volunteering behind the bar at Amber Valley Beer Festival on Fri/Sat.

ian

« Reply #601 on: 26 September, 2018, 08:29:32 pm »
This unit was manufactured in the Amber Valley (it's not actually amber, is it?). Belper is where my posh gran came from (for some measure of posh, she smoked like a chimney and squeezed out twelve kids in what appeared to be a competition with the Irish family across the road). Basically, to the people of Heanor, Belper is the poshest place ever. But remember, they're comparing it with Ripley, Alfreton, and Il'son.

« Reply #602 on: 26 September, 2018, 08:36:16 pm »
This unit was manufactured in the Amber Valley (it's not actually amber, is it?). <snip>
It's another of those Celtic words for river, like Avon.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

ian

« Reply #603 on: 28 September, 2018, 08:40:23 pm »
So basically it's the River River. It mostly avoided the part I lived in, we had the River Erewash which might have actually been amber. Ambergate is even posher than Belper. The Erewash is only called that to discourage foreigners who dunt say it rate. I'm from a town that foxes a universal translator.

In other news, another shout out to Brasserie de Meaux, not just because we made the owners give us a tour in English, but because I'm drinking their beer right now while giving up pretending to work and it's rather nice so you should drink it too. Admittedly that might require a trip to an industrial estate in a town 30 km to the east of Paris, but really, what else were you going to do tonight?

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #604 on: 29 September, 2018, 10:29:01 pm »
Viven smoked porter. Om nom nom  :P

« Reply #605 on: 30 September, 2018, 08:09:40 pm »
Some guys from the Monster Raving Loony Party were in the AVBF on Fri (there party conference was in Belper this w/e). I asked about Screeming Lord Such but then told he died 19 yrs ago, oops!

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #606 on: 06 October, 2018, 07:52:09 pm »
Leffe Blonde on offer in Waitrose again, £4 for a four-pack of the small bottles
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #607 on: 06 October, 2018, 09:20:00 pm »
oooooh look what I found in town today

https://beermonkeybrewco.com/ - New brewery in town with a wee little bar, had a natter with some of the staff and got a free tour of the brewery :)

http://www.thegrowlingshrew.com/ - New bottle shop, with local craft beers and a few foreign (aka from outside Yorkshire) and you can your growler filled there too
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #608 on: 06 October, 2018, 10:01:47 pm »

IMG_9370_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Arf @Mrs P  :)

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #609 on: 14 October, 2018, 10:49:37 pm »
Left Handed Giant  :P From Cudzo-land, moi luvver.

IMG_9417_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

ian

« Reply #610 on: 15 October, 2018, 09:31:39 am »
I drank the cycle one yesterday. Seemed pleasant enough, but then everything tastes a bit snotty at the moment.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #611 on: 16 October, 2018, 11:21:38 am »
I had a bottle of Harvey's brewery extra double imperial stout. Gorgeous. 9% of liquid smoky treacly goodness!!!! It takes 18 months to ferment and settle before bottling.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #612 on: 02 November, 2018, 07:52:27 pm »
Just tried a Brewdog Nanny State (0.5%) and was most pleasantly surprised. I'll do that again.

ian

« Reply #613 on: 02 November, 2018, 09:15:14 pm »
Magic Rock Saucery session IPA. Rather good. Before that a very fruity Bramble Sour from Gypsy Hill. Beers and tunes (Meg Myer's Take me to the Disco) and the smell of slow roasting veg (that is fated to be pizza topping in about 30 minutes). It might be the end times of Brexiting Trumpogeddon, but occasionally you can shuffle all that shit to one side for enough minutes to qualify as contentment.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #614 on: 02 November, 2018, 09:33:20 pm »
Speaking of Magic Rock, I am saddened by the passing of their old can designs, i.e. the blobby things. :(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #615 on: 02 November, 2018, 09:40:20 pm »
Surely not! I love their can designs.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #616 on: 02 November, 2018, 10:26:37 pm »
Tis true. I love Salty Kiss but it'll never be the same now...
https://www.magicrockbrewing.com/blog/core-cans-re-design/?age-verified=fbaa15b825
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #617 on: 30 November, 2018, 07:57:59 pm »
(Belatedly)

The new can design is still cool, but yes, the ghost blobs. Sob.

She's put 'don't drink this!' post-its on stuff in the fridge again. Control freak.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #618 on: 03 December, 2018, 10:29:43 am »
I had a white stout by Park Brewery in the rather lovely Albion pub in Kingston on Friday. All the coffee/chocolate flavours without the cloying sweetness/heaviness or high alcohol levels of a traditional stout.

ian

« Reply #619 on: 09 December, 2018, 06:54:35 pm »
We popped into our local* micropub for a quick drink on the way home after a hike in the wilds of, erm, Hertfordshire yesterday. Suitably lubricated by about 9pm we got up to head home and get some food. Just as we did that, the landlord put on a new beer. To Øl's Jule Mælk, a festively 15% imperial milk stout. We got home a little later than intended...

*not entirely local, but it's between the train station served by the faster East Grinstead-bound trains and the bus stop that has a service with a stop a few minutes from The Asbestos Palace, and well, what better way to wait for a bus.

ElyDave

« Reply #620 on: 09 December, 2018, 07:03:37 pm »
Einstock Icelandic White Ale yesterday, nice. 

Was going to go for a wild beer chocolate, milk, soemthing else stout, but it was more than I could conceptually deal with

« Reply #621 on: 18 December, 2018, 02:01:58 pm »
Last night at the Euston Tap, a variety of things; I quite liked the peanut butter milk stout in a sweet-toothed novelty kind of a way, but the spiced chocolate mocha stout with an unpronounceable South-American-looking name was a bit much. I did find myself wishing they offered thirds, which would have allowed me to try more of the headbanging stuff.

ElyDave

« Reply #622 on: 18 December, 2018, 08:06:25 pm »
Pint of Beavertown Gamma Ray at lunch today, OK for an americanian hoppy thing.  Went well with smoked bratwurst, poached eggs, onions and hollandaise

« Reply #623 on: 18 December, 2018, 09:40:35 pm »
Jeez. Imagine the farts from that combo  :facepalm:

ElyDave

« Reply #624 on: 18 December, 2018, 09:41:24 pm »
I'll tell you tomorrow  ;D