Author Topic: Not so shy amimals  (Read 2980 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Not so shy amimals
« on: 27 April, 2008, 04:15:09 pm »
Where I grew up it was always within less than 2 min walk to the country side, if I could not see the fields or forest it was because of a tree in our garden.

But I have always been told that the foxes, herons, deer and some squirrels and some bird were very shy. And if you wanted to see them you had to get up very early in the am and be very quite plus lucky to be able to the them.

But living in London, you just have to to go out after 10pm and you will see more foxes than cats around. Or just pop down onto the canal and you will see herons wandering around. And when you ride through Richmond Park you see more deer (I know that they are a managed herd) than you can shake a stick at.

When I grew up it was quite a big thing to say that you managed to see a heron while out walking, foxes and deer was a major thing. But in London they are all over the shop.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Not so shy amimals
« Reply #1 on: 27 April, 2008, 08:54:53 pm »
I've seen three herons this weekend.  There was the magnificent one on the canal, and two in Lavender Pond in Southwark (the old Surrey Docks).

Really cool.
Getting there...

« Reply #2 on: 27 April, 2008, 08:57:16 pm »
We saw herons today.

« Reply #3 on: 27 April, 2008, 09:08:28 pm »
Woolly yes there seems to be loads of Heron around on the canals.

We counted 3 this morning.

Paul

« Reply #4 on: 20 May, 2008, 11:40:28 am »
But I have always been told that the foxes, herons, deer and some squirrels and some bird were very shy. ...

The squirrels in London parks certainly aren't shy, I've had to throw my shoes at squirrels in Hyde Park to stop then going through my bag. :-\
Actually, it is rocket science.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: 20 May, 2008, 11:50:37 am »
Like the otters I saw on Jura. Me cycling along the road wearing a girt big hi viz jacket, and them just mooching around chomping on fishy stuff and diving about. Not bothered by me standing there watching them at all, even when I was eventually joined by Pingu n' Bob (also in high viz).  :thumbsup:

None of this "you must lurk in a hide at the crack of dawn and be very, very quiet", nonsense!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Tiger

« Reply #6 on: 20 May, 2008, 01:25:40 pm »
We are infested with herons here in Chiswick - bloody things all over the garden frightening the cats and eating the frogs out of teh pond. Had to sring wires across the garden to keep them out. Also infested with foxes which stink and shout at night. 

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7 on: 20 May, 2008, 03:23:27 pm »
The urban foxes around Larrington Towers are cheeky bastards, who quite often wander around shamelessly in broad daylight and only run away when they're about to be hit by the dustbin lorry.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #8 on: 20 May, 2008, 03:25:28 pm »
Today I saw a car stop to avoid running over two shagging pheasants in the middle of the road. ::-)
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #9 on: 20 May, 2008, 04:58:53 pm »
Today I saw a car stop to avoid running over two shagging pheasants in the middle of the road. ::-)

Do you think they were having a pheasant pluck?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Zoidburg

« Reply #10 on: 20 May, 2008, 05:49:51 pm »
I have doves attempting to nest in the shop at work