Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3814405 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #650 on: 27 May, 2008, 07:15:49 pm »
yes, but cut short after 10 miles when my ruddy (cheap) seatpost kept giving up it's feeble grip on the saddle and pivoting nose-to-skywards.  Really very dull of it when I've been chained to my desk all day.

Am now Wiggling for a new one :D

gordon taylor

« Reply #651 on: 27 May, 2008, 07:41:04 pm »
I've done a Clyde coastal 65 miles today from my mother-in-law's in Renfrew via Yoker, Helensburgh, Faslane, Garelochead, Kilcreggan, Coulport, Arrocher, Tarbet and to Luss on Loch Lomond. It was a fabulous ride, despite the high winds, on surprisingly quiet roads.

I met the family at Luss where we scattered my father-in-law's ashes to the wind and the waves. We all feel good about that, for various reasons.

annie

« Reply #652 on: 27 May, 2008, 08:01:04 pm »
I've done a Clyde coastal 65 miles today from my mother-in-law's in Renfrew via Yoker, Helensburgh, Faslane, Garelochead, Kilcreggan, Coulport, Arrocher, Tarbet and to Luss on Loch Lomond. It was a fabulous ride, despite the high winds, on surprisingly quiet roads.

I met the family at Luss where we scattered my father-in-law's ashes to the wind and the waves. We all feel good about that, for various reasons.

:)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #653 on: 28 May, 2008, 11:07:57 pm »
'Tis a wee bit dreich richt noo.. I'm wanting to get out and take some rather specific photos of a certain place so I spent some time with an OS  1:25000 map and plotted sightlines, made good use of contours etc. and identified four potential locations. As several were off down paths and dirt roads I set off with the mountain bike to get a bit of a ride in - the ride encompassed a few wee braes.

It was middling warm - I wasn't quite boil inna bag in my waterproof but it was touch and go as to whether I was wetter inside or out. Definitely warm and toastie.

Blasting my way out - wind behind, knobbly tyres thrubbing on tarmac. First location. A bit of traipsing. A few nettle stings. A bit of a rethink due to a line of trees and eventually a passable viewpoint with a few leccy cables that should clone out OK with photoshop if necessary.

Take 2. I've done a bit of a loop so now I'm heading to a location to which I have never been  - the old pier at Invergowrie. Well, not just an old pier but the rest of the harbour too. It isn't a good location for gallicanting at night. It has been abandoned for some considerable time - the harbour is silted up and large cracks are appearing between the old stones - big enough to take a foot or two. A perfectly cut round hole about 30 inches across and plummeting to water level bears testament to a  long lost crane or derrick. Anyhow, this proved to be an ideal viewpoint and worthy of a visit in it's own right. I'll be back.

Back onto the roads I know well, the level crossing was down on the first  Longforgan Road so I carried on to pass the prison and climb to the roundabout the back way. Breezed the first bit and was feeling good till I realised how much more there was to go - a deceptive climb.

Dron farm was the next point - a steep climb of which the first part was good and the second part just turning th epedals in the twiddly gears after my enthusiasm for putting effort in failed to accompany me upwards. That spot was no good - too many trees - even if I could have seen Dundee through the mists and rain. Rolling downhill, the daylight fading, then the step climbs through Fowlis and into Liff. Rolling into thewind now, feeling the drag of the knobblies.. Camperdown park - still at night with just a couple of dog walkers and the straying geese from the pond to worry about.

And home. It wasn't fast but it was fun. The weather was bad but not foul, and I feel tired but not exhausted. A good night out.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #654 on: 29 May, 2008, 01:10:15 pm »
A very pleasant 95 km morning ride from Bristol to Cheddar and back, to meet the
'Bristol Thursday Old Time Cyclists' for breakfast, before their ride into the Somerset Levels.

Left Bristol and went via Chew Magna and past Chew Valley Lake, climbed up West Harptree hill onto the Mendips and then dropped down Cheddar Gorge for breakfast at the excellent Fortes Ice Cream Parlour.

A couple of photos of the BTOTC leaving the cafe.

I then retraced my route back up the Gorge, and going through Bishops Sutton, Stanton Drew and the regally named Queen Charlton before joining the Bristol-Bath cycle track.
A lovely ride in good weather on peaceful country lanes  :)

« Reply #655 on: 29 May, 2008, 03:06:55 pm »
Just got in from a 47.3 hilly ride ....why do I do it

ronstrutt

« Reply #656 on: 29 May, 2008, 03:17:33 pm »
Tuesday evening, after work, a 100km ride from Guildford down to Portsmouth via the scenic route, postponed from the rather wet bank holiday Monday - when I went for a damp hike through the Surrey Hills instead.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #657 on: 29 May, 2008, 03:18:58 pm »
Went to my mums to drop off a cat blanket, Lazy Leo is coming to live with us from Sunday so we wanted something that smelt of his mum so he doesn't feel so alone once he gets here.

Weather gorgeous, topped up my cyclists tan...

18 miles all in all, will add another 6 onto that when I go and collect TLD from Pre-school
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Chris S

« Reply #658 on: 29 May, 2008, 10:02:13 pm »
After being tied to a compiler since 6:30 this morning, I was desperate for some fresh air come this evening. Of course, by then it was raining  ::-).

Never mind - a chance to dip a toe (sic) into the strange murky world of riding in the rain with sandals. You'd think at 13'c, moderate rain and lots of puddles, I'd get cold feet - but I didn't. It was a whole new experience, and one I must transfer to an audax soon.

Anyway, 35 soggy km. I need a new waterproof top - my Altura Nevis doesn't really keep much rain out these days.

« Reply #659 on: 29 May, 2008, 11:54:48 pm »
Managed 30 miles from Chorlton to Mobberley Station and back.
Got caught in a downpour on the way back although, coming back into S. Manchester, it seemed that it hadn't rained there at all.
It started throwing down just as I opened the front door.

« Reply #660 on: 29 May, 2008, 11:57:45 pm »
Just about 1.5 hours in the rain... Loved it though as I am not riding much these days. It was a bit dark too. Came back along the river trail, then path; we were flying on the trail (well...)!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #661 on: 30 May, 2008, 09:40:38 am »
I've been out all right.

Sitting at traffic lights in a slightly hungover fashion (who has leaving drinks on a thurs?!),  I feel a bit hot and yank the zip down on my gilet.

It wasn't my gilet. And my jersey has a very deep zip.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #662 on: 30 May, 2008, 09:44:19 am »
I've been out all right.

Sitting at traffic lights in a slightly hungover fashion (who has leaving drinks on a thurs?!),  I feel a bit hot and yank the zip down on my gilet.

;D

No cycling, but a pleasant hour or so was passed yesterday evening in the company of Zanda and Daniel Cadden.

Cheers chaps!
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #663 on: 30 May, 2008, 10:28:07 am »
I've been out all right.

And the local motorists think you really are that sort of girl after a night on the tiles  ::-)

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #664 on: 30 May, 2008, 05:39:54 pm »
Dinting-Penistone-Hadfield via the TPT- about 44m including to/from Manchester Piccadilly.
Got wet again going over the Woodhead tunnels when IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE SUNNY TODAY.
Also got chatted up by a drunk woman in the pub in Penistone. She had a black eye and a very scary looking boy-friend. I fear that these two facts may be related.............

I swallowed a couple of flies on the way back, one of which is still rather retchtastic.
Any tips for breathing heavily and not ingesting ?

« Reply #665 on: 31 May, 2008, 09:16:05 am »
YESSSSSSS 1st time for nearly 3 weeks.

Only 7km but at least I averaged 21.6 km/h.

Now waiting for lungs to leave chest cavity so that I might manage a small breakfast.

alan

« Reply #666 on: 31 May, 2008, 09:52:45 am »
Took the fixie to the village,the long way round involving an uphill start in the wrong direction, & think doing the Pie Run on fixed may be too much to be enjoyable :-\

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #667 on: 31 May, 2008, 10:08:01 am »
I'm taking Sheldon up to Epping Forest for a spin, camping overnight and then having another spin before toddling home.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

annie

« Reply #668 on: 31 May, 2008, 10:41:53 am »
Yes, 35kms, bit lumpy in places.  Hard work, tired and ready for some food.  My bottom is just wonderful but my other bits are most certainly not :(

There was a little incident at the top of a hill, a hill that I crawled up at a snail's pace and whilst gathering myself together at the top and changing gear I hear a woman shouting out what I thought was the name of a child, it was a tad breezy and what I didn't realise is that the child was not a child but a dog, a terrier, a terrier that could run very fast.  Only when I turned round and saw it closing in on me did I stop and prayed that it wasn't of a kind that liked to snack on ankles and lycra.  I told the dog to go home in a very stern voice, it looked somewhat shocked and turned round to head home after letting out a pathetic whine.  The owner pulled up in a car that she had flagged down and thanked me for stopping.

Ave:  22.6kph, not too bad considering I stopped at the LBS to consume 4 biscuits and drool over a new frame. 

« Reply #669 on: 31 May, 2008, 11:01:07 am »
Yes, first time this morning!

Last Thursday, I nipped out first thing to pick up my new specs. On the way back, I stopped in at Birmingham City Cycles to buy a new bike pump. While I was pumping away, another bloke (possibly the owner?) arrived. He brought out a big floor pump, inflated my tyres (which makes me think I've never ridden on properly inflated tyres before in my life), suggested my bike was too small for me, measured it in several different ways, decided it was, ordered me back into the shop to buy some chain lube, then as a kind of by the way, mentioned that he ran a 30 mile ride at 7 on Saturday morning and I could come along if I fancied.

I couldn't quite decide if he was being oddly friendly or mildly challenging, but after a brief consult with my wife, she decided I should go :) Thursday was also my birthday, and I'd been given some new cycling shorts and a top, so clearly I had to use them. I spent Friday fretting mildly, nipping out to get a spare inner tube, one of those little saddle packs to carry it in, and so on.

I was worrying about nothing really, although I would guess that my bike was at the cheaper end of the 30 or so on display this morning. I don't wear a helmet, putting me in a minority of two, and I don't have clip-in pedals, putting me in a minority of one. Every time the group stopped, there was this little round of click-click-clicking as everyone unclipped, and then another round as they slotted their cleats back in again. I was slightly overdressed too, and so finished up with my shell jacket stuffed down the back of my shorts.

It was odd riding in the group initially. I've never ridden at speed with more than one other person, and that was years ago. In the city, you're very aware of your space and anything encroaching on it usually represents a danger, so it was strange to begin with. Once I'd relaxed a bit and got into the swing of things, I really began to enjoy myself  I was suffering a bit about two thirds of the way through, but we had an enforced stop when my neighbour in the pack's derailler broke off, snapping his chain. Good news for me (and the two blokes who nipped into the bushes), but pretty bad and expensive for him. It was a lot of fun, especially when the pace picked up running down the A38 from Sutton Coldfield back into the city centre.

My kids are back at gymnastics training next week, so the Saturday timetable will be a bit different, but I'll go again if I can.

« Reply #670 on: 31 May, 2008, 12:21:41 pm »
:)  Good work, Jez - be careful, it's addictive...

Quick run into cambridge this morning to get a new seatpost.  Found a nice thompson micro-adjust jobbie in MikesBikes [no relation] and the slightly odd bloke at the till discounted it by 50% without me asking - so I bought two!  Now Mrs Mike and I have new shiny seatposts.

absolutely lovely out there.

Naggers

• Lost in a daze
« Reply #671 on: 31 May, 2008, 02:41:16 pm »
Nice read, Jez  8)

I don't have clip-in pedals, putting me in a minority of one. Every time the group stopped, there was this little round of click-click-clicking as everyone unclipped, and then another round as they slotted their cleats back in again.

That's great, isn't it  ;D

Naggers

• Lost in a daze
« Reply #672 on: 31 May, 2008, 02:46:39 pm »
After a pityfull 90 miles for the week commuting went out to make up the 100.
Still a rubbish week but better than most recently  :-[

Great to have to slap suncream on the head and to ride without the courier bag.

Was really enjoying the lanes and could have stayed out for at least a couple of hours but had a deadline of only about 45 mins  :'(

Managed to knock out a tad over 15 miles.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #673 on: 31 May, 2008, 03:55:57 pm »
50 odd miles out to Maldon and back. No idea what the real mileage was as I turned the Flightdeck off at some point whilst riding on the hoods.  >:( >:(

Then a few miles from home I was suddenly visited by a world of pain in my right eye. Something had got through the defences. I was only a couple of miles from work, so I went there, irrigated my eye with copious amounts of water and myself with a couple of pints of Stella (medicinal!!!!).

Now at home. Eye hurts, but there's nothing in it that I can see  ::-). No idea as to the cause. All I know is that it fecking well hurt!! In fact it was almost swollen shut by the time I got to work.  ;) ;) ;) ;)

It's a bit better now.
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #674 on: 31 May, 2008, 07:23:05 pm »
Ouch, that sounds most unpleasant FB. Perhaps something stung you and buggered off again.

I had an interesting little ride today. Went up the prom to Fleetwood and then across to Knott End on the ferry. Met a nice chap on the crossing who was riding a fixed and we pedalled a few miles together until our routes diverged. I rode across the flatlands towards the Trough of Bowland and after a lovely pint of Black Sheep turned south towards home. Mrs. TKP rode out from home and met me at Wrea Green for another pint and then home for lots of food. Feeling tired, satisfied and just a tad sunburned now.