Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3896057 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #675 on: 31 May, 2008, 07:25:30 pm »
52 miles with the CTC.  Also an embarrassing litany of mechanical failures including a classic snakebite puncture (at 145psi - it was some pothole!), upon which I realised I had brought a 26" tube with me, the difference between "Race 26" and "Race 28" being illegibly printed on some Conti tubes  :-[  I impressed a few people by demonstrating how QRs can be used as tyre levers, though.

My new Dura-Ace chain showed an uncanny ability to spontaneously develop stiff links.  Free one off, and 10 miles later another one started clicking.  I've come to the conclusion that the factory lube Shimano use is, in fact, not a lube (SRAM's is, and quite a good one).  I had to stop four times and spread the offending link - a different one each time - with a chain tool.

Still, 4 hours in the saddle and I feel OK.

Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #676 on: 31 May, 2008, 08:09:17 pm »
No. Frustratingly I've just been sitting in all day while the plumber finishes putting in a boiler and central heating. I've just said goodbye and done an online transfer for a rather large sum of money.  ::-)

Am now mostly penniless, but at least I'll be able to have a shower when I get in from a ride rather than mess about waiting for an elderly, leaking immersion heater to heat enough water. And I won't be able to see my breath in winter. Also, getting rid of the huge old cylinder means I have room to put away my ever growing box of bike bits  ;D

I think tomorrow I'll cycle to the Camden Green Fair and Bikefest in Regent's Park.

« Reply #677 on: 31 May, 2008, 08:26:54 pm »
Ouch to FB's poorly eye, and ouch to NSTN's injured bank account :(

Not been out today. Woolly transferred my chainset to Stella today, so let's see how he gets on spinning to the coast tomorrow on my shorty 165 cranks ;)

Maladict

« Reply #678 on: 01 June, 2008, 12:50:23 am »
5 mile round trip to a party some friends were having.

Another mutual friend who was there decided to embarrass me in front of everyone for his own amusement.  >:(

Perhaps friend is the wrong word.

« Reply #679 on: 01 June, 2008, 01:07:05 am »
Tonight was marvellous:  I didn't get out until after 8 o'clock, but by then the humidity of the afternoon had faded, leaving a cool and clear evening, perfect for cycling.  The suggestion of a breeze refreshed me as I cruised along - in fact, zoomed along is more like it.

30 miles on the A-roads around the northern end of the Tees Valley, at a (for me) astonishing 18.1 mph :thumbsup:

Highlights included: the hundred-strong herd of red deer grazing in Raby Castle grounds, including about half a dozen with milky white hides and some very impressively-antlered bucks; trying to draft a tractor and trailer and giving up when I realised I'd accelerated to 30 mph and was still 50 yards behind it; the long stretches without traffic on trunk roads; and finally, chasing the sunset home a la Hammer horror movies.

Maladict

« Reply #680 on: 01 June, 2008, 04:19:58 pm »
7.5 mile round trip.  Went on the Galaxy which felt slow.  I was going to take it easy, but the legs had other ideas.  Cycled into town to the recycling centre at Tesco, then visited a few shoppes.  Came away with a headset for Skype, and some packing materials to send that rack top bag I sold off to Blade.

« Reply #681 on: 01 June, 2008, 04:37:59 pm »
longest ride of the year for me, 103 miles.  The plan was to take it steady the whole way round just to get the miles in, but about 20 miles from home I did the mental sums and realised I was on for seven hours if I worked a bit harder - so I did, and made it in 6.59, nearly expiring at the top of the last hill about a mile from home.

It was colder and wetter than i was expecting, and I'd stupidly dressed for yesterdays sunshine so I popped into 'king cycles' in Bury to see if they could sell me some sleeves or a warm top, when i asked the bloke behind the till where the kit was, I wasnt expecting him to say 'sorry mate, we only sell shit bikes' :D  [he didnt appear to be wrong]

beautiful ride though, especially the bottom half from saffron walden across through claire and long melford to Bury st eds.

annie

« Reply #682 on: 01 June, 2008, 04:44:17 pm »
Not today as being mum all day.

Mr A is away at the Waitrose Farm in Hampshire doing a spot of fishing, how splendid.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #683 on: 01 June, 2008, 05:44:01 pm »
52miles in the Surrey hills, pint of Spitfire and shared a baked Camembert in East Clandon at the Queens Arms. Top ride though had to walk one or two of the feckers.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #684 on: 01 June, 2008, 07:33:53 pm »
Yep. Cycled to the Green Fair and Bikefest in Regent's Park, leading another woman who I met a while ago at another cycling-related event who didn't know the way (I did as it was mostly my commute).

Got an LCC map I'd been after (wilds of North London), some cheap herbs from the herb stall, some soap and numerous free reusable bags (hate carrier bags). Supporting small businesses which I like to do. Also had an interesting acupressure massage that was quite painful at times, they reckon I had 'blockages' in my stomach  ::-) That'd explain why I always get sick on FNRttC!  ;D

Also had a go at the roller racing at the Rollapaluza stand, on a Condor fixie type thing. Good fun. There may be a photo appearing on their website shortly  ::-)

« Reply #685 on: 01 June, 2008, 08:02:48 pm »
I just got back from a test-ride on the tandem that my wife and I have borrowed from my Dad. We did the London to Cambridge charity ride on it last year, and that was our only tandemming experience, so today was a bit shaky! The saddles both needed adjusting en-route, and I forgot to check before we set off which gear lever was which, and which way was up and down, so changing gear was interesting at first! We made it back alive though, and hopefully we'll be out on it a lot more in the next few weeks ;D

« Reply #686 on: 01 June, 2008, 09:11:28 pm »
No ride today, but went out all day yesterday.  I wanted to do a long ride before next weekend's White Rose Classic, so I rode from home (in Leeds) to Hutton le Hole on the North York Moors and back.  Went out via Sherrif Hutton and Castle Howard, and back through Nunnington, Hovingham and Yearsley.  Did 126 miles all told, my longest ride of the year so far.  A lovely day too, the only slight problem being a nagging headwind at times on the outward journey.  Still, it made the return journey easier!

Andrew

« Reply #687 on: 01 June, 2008, 09:25:14 pm »
105 miles, mostly in the rain.

« Reply #688 on: 01 June, 2008, 09:28:47 pm »
First pootle since October.   Not far, not fast but very very happy  ;D

« Reply #689 on: 01 June, 2008, 09:39:55 pm »
52miles in the Surrey hills, pint of Spitfire and shared a baked Camembert in East Clandon at the Queens Arms. Top ride though had to walk one or two of the feckers.
And lovely it was, too. The Surrey Hills are such great cycling country  :D

« Reply #690 on: 01 June, 2008, 09:49:01 pm »
Nottingham to Lincoln, taking a slightly longer route for a 4.5 hour ride, damp but avioded most of the rain today, had to go as it was my first ride in a week after a week's holiday on Arran.

« Reply #691 on: 01 June, 2008, 10:26:26 pm »
Out from Ealing towards Osterley Park, not too much traffic. Chat to a man on an old Kirk frame, fixed with a drop-down tensioner, at traffic lights. Down a few side streets following my nose and cross the A316 towards Twickers.

There's a match on and the police are on point duty. Once through the crowds I find myself at Teddington Locks, so dismount to cross the bridge, then along the Thames path towards Richmond. Lots of walkers, dogs, mud, wobbly cyclists, and a tree across the path. I'm grateful to hit smooth tarmac again.

Finding myself at Ham Gate I continue into the Park. Lots of cyclists including po-faced would-be roadies who avoid eye-contact. Out again into the real world and dice with the traffic through Richmond and over the bridge.

I follow the signs for Isleworth and eventually recognise the road to the Gillette Tower, right at the lights on to the A40 and left to pass Boston Manor and home.

A brief outing, but sufficiently fast to clear the cobwebs.

« Reply #692 on: 01 June, 2008, 10:29:42 pm »
17.5 miles with MiniQ on the tandem, mostly on the Phoenix trail Route 57 in Oxon.  A nice time was had by all.

ronstrutt

« Reply #693 on: 02 June, 2008, 12:36:21 am »
Well, it was actually yesterday now.

Rode back from Newport (South Wales) to Woking, 129.1 miles. Not a particularly inspiring route - the A48 up to the Severn Bridge, then cut round the north of Bristol and Bath via Yate and Chipping Sodbury to Chippenham and then the A4 through to Reading. Did take a pleasant diversion between Marlborough and Hungerford on the original London to Bristol road via Ramsbury, though.

« Reply #694 on: 02 June, 2008, 08:41:21 am »
slough windsor cookham henley and back, 31 miles .i was rideing with a friend who has ms and rides a trice s well . we had a nice lunch stop in henley before grinding up winter hill on the way back ;D
the slower you go the more you see

alchemy

« Reply #695 on: 02 June, 2008, 09:51:34 am »
Beautiful second day of (official) winter, 20+ degrees, blue skies  8), so I rode out towards the hills, rode up Greenmount Hill and rode back down, rode around a bit more and came home.

Just under two and a half hours for 60km, which is about as many km as I've managed in the last fortnight  :-[ :-\

alan

« Reply #696 on: 02 June, 2008, 05:14:47 pm »
Just nipped down to the village on the fixie.The issue worthy of note is that I can now get back up the hill without standing on the pedals.It's not a lot but it is progress :)

« Reply #697 on: 02 June, 2008, 06:43:38 pm »
slough windsor cookham henley and back, 31 miles .i was rideing with a friend who has ms and rides a trice s well . we had a nice lunch stop in henley before grinding up winter hill on the way back ;D

Yesterday we took the train from West Ruislip to Princes Risborough, by which time ((9.00) it was pouring with rain. Set off towards Thame along the (now muddy) Phoenix trail, then turned south to Riverside Cafe at Benson for coffee. Luckily  the rain had ceased. Up the Chiltern escarpment to Cookley Green and Russells Water, then a long drop into Henley and on to The Flowerpot at Aston for lunch. On to Knowle Hill, Sustrans 4 into Maidenhead and Burnham Beeches for tea. 65 miles back to Uxbridge, at an average of 13.2mph. Usually only manage about 12!

« Reply #698 on: 02 June, 2008, 06:58:46 pm »
Bromley Cross to Southport today, about 50m in total.
The sky was black all day but the rain stayed off.
Going through the moors around Bolton/Chorley was really nice- it's amazing what is on the doorstep of Manchester.
At one stage I was cruising along at 20mph (must have been downhill) and I could see the front tyre turning away and the chain slipping along and I thought what a lovely, effortless way it was to travel. The thought stayed with me for a long time, even going uphill  :thumbsup:

Chris S

« Reply #699 on: 02 June, 2008, 07:30:33 pm »
A quick 30km loop to loosen the legs after a weekend of garden slavery.

Shut the garage door, and walked to the house just as the first cloudburst of this evenings weather started. Timing  :thumbsup:.