Author Topic: London - Penzance. Train + Bike  (Read 767 times)

London - Penzance. Train + Bike
« on: 16 February, 2024, 09:43:02 am »
I'm looking at trains from London to Penzance for a LEJOG adventure in the summer. I've taken this route before with a bike what seems like just a few short years ago, but I now realise it was actually nearly 20 years ago!

I seem to remember just bunging my bike in the guard's van and all was good. Is this still the case?

I notice on GWR's website it says "When making a reservation, please be aware we can only guarantee your bike will fit if it has a tyre width of 7cm or less and a rim diameter of 50cm or less."

The 50cm or less thing seems a bit weird. I can only assume from that, that it's not just a shove-it-in-the-guard's-van thing and there is some horrible bike space designed by someone who has no idea what shape a bicycle actually is, that may or may not involve hanging it up or squeezing it into a space totally unsuitable for a bike. Especially one with luggage.

Has anyone done this route or know anythng about bikes on it?

Cheers
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: London - Penzance. Train + Bike
« Reply #1 on: 16 February, 2024, 09:45:50 am »
When we did it, we took the sleeper and that had a guard’s van. But that was 17 years ago.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2 on: 16 February, 2024, 10:08:08 am »
A direct day time train will be a class 800 with a horrible bike wardrobe:
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=109914.0

If you’re not in a hurry you could avoid them by taking a train from Waterloo to Exeter and using a local train onwards.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #3 on: 16 February, 2024, 10:22:24 am »
We took the sleeper to Truro just over a year ago and that was fine. I now can't remember whether it was hanging up or not, but it really wasn't an issue with two traditional
ish touring bikes. It's a bit spendy but a really nice way to go. In my opinion the refurbished sleeper coaches on the Cornish Riviera service are better designed and more comfortable than the new Cal sleepers. I think they still have a seated coach too.
We have also taken the same bikes to Exeter on the class 800 which was a bit trickier. It's not so bad when you start in London as if you make sure you are onto the platform early you can get to the bike space before anyone else puts anything in it. Coming back boarding at Exeter was not so good and we ended up with bikes in the corridor near our appointed space until some reprobates got off at Taunton and we all played bike twister.

« Reply #4 on: 16 February, 2024, 10:30:15 am »
Thanks all. I had my suspicions about the regular GWR trains. I'd probably seen the thread grams linked to before, but forgotten about it!

The sleeper is looking like a better bet as they have "three special bike racks in the guard's van". I guess that means a row of three stands (ridiculously close together) which is what was on the train I got to Glasgow last year. A squeeze, but ultimately fine.

I notice if I just slum it in a seat rather than booking a cabin, the price is pretty good!

« Reply #5 on: 16 February, 2024, 10:50:27 am »
Last time I used it a year or two ago - only from Exeter - it was a small compartment with a three bike limit.  On a different occasion, friends of mine managed to cram five bikes in and ignored the objections of the guard. 

« Reply #6 on: 16 February, 2024, 10:53:44 am »
Well, me and bike are booked on the sleeper for May 20th! 43 quid. Not the best deal I've ever got, but still pretty good.

Suppose I better plan a route now  :)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7 on: 19 February, 2024, 12:06:25 pm »
43 quid London to Penzance sounds a bargain to me. Doubly so for avoiding the dangly bike cupboard.  :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.