Author Topic: Dry January  (Read 12269 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: Dry January
« Reply #75 on: 14 January, 2013, 02:53:43 pm »
Think you are looking at it wrong, LG, there are times when it is perfectly acceptable to skip:

1) At the end of a heavy night (or between pubs)
2) when the whole world is going just right and you are enjoying the feeling
3) When you are walking anywhere with a 8 yr old.

HTH :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

LindaG

« Reply #76 on: 14 January, 2013, 02:59:54 pm »
Think you are looking at it wrong, LG, there are times when it is perfectly acceptable to skip:

1) At the end of a heavy night (or between pubs)
2) when the whole world is going just right and you are enjoying the feeling
3) When you are walking anywhere with a 8 yr old.

HTH :)

You misunderstand.

I was thinking of the kind of 'breaking into a skip' that leads to the experience, next morning, of 'waking up in a skip'.

We've not had a proper night out together have we Phil?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #77 on: 14 January, 2013, 03:01:10 pm »
Ah, I see now.

No we haven't, something we need to rectify some time soon :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #78 on: 14 January, 2013, 03:31:04 pm »
Is it only me who boggled for ages at that one, thinking that breaking into a skip is something you'd only do at the end of a specially heavy night?

Maybe.  I've skip-dived while sober on many occasions, though I can't say that much in the way of burgling was required.  Unfortunately the one outside is mostly bricks and rubble, rather than Useful Bits Of Wood or perfectly good computer hardware.

It wasn't until reading tiermat's post that I thought of the other meaning of skip  :facepalm:

Toady

« Reply #79 on: 14 January, 2013, 09:26:57 pm »
BBC article
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21009756

Half way there!  Keep it up everyone! (runs up and down touchline clapping hands in coach fashion)

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #80 on: 16 January, 2013, 11:44:33 am »
I expected to feel some sort of benefit from stopping but in truth I feel worse.  The only benefit seems to be a slight feeling of smugness.  However I am hoping that after a while there will be tangible benefits.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Chris S

« Reply #81 on: 16 January, 2013, 12:08:13 pm »
Maybe you didn't drink enough in the first place?  :)

Coming "down" off 40-80 units a week makes a huge difference.

« Reply #82 on: 17 January, 2013, 01:11:23 pm »
The benefits for me are-6lbs lighter,gout better and no headaches.I have quit eating crap as well though. Just need to start riding my bike again now :thumbsup:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #83 on: 17 January, 2013, 02:23:09 pm »
I had a single cherry liqueur chocolate yesterday. I don't really think this counts. There might be 0.75 to 1g of alcohol in a chocolate, which is  about a tenth of a unit...

shyumu

• Paying my TV license by cheque since 1993
    • Balancing on Two Wheels
« Reply #84 on: 17 January, 2013, 07:51:28 pm »
17th January... well done so far.  Only another 14 days to go and only two weekends.  DryJan finishes at midnight on a Thursday, so the following Friday/Sunday of drunken debauchery should have us well prepared for Lent.  Roll on Easter!
a journal of bicycle rides I have enjoyed:

http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.co.uk/

LindaG

« Reply #85 on: 17 January, 2013, 08:47:47 pm »
I just left work. Two weeks off now. The temptation to pick up a bottle of wine on the way home ....

My first time off since September ...

But I resisted.

Would love a glass of red.

shyumu

« Reply #86 on: 17 January, 2013, 08:56:05 pm »
Thinking of you LG.

O:-)

LindaG

« Reply #87 on: 17 January, 2013, 08:57:25 pm »
Thinking of you LG.

O:-)

Yeah I bet you are. With a glass in your hand. Git.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #88 on: 17 January, 2013, 09:00:40 pm »
LG, might I interest you in a Nice Cup Of Tea?

« Reply #89 on: 17 January, 2013, 09:11:32 pm »
<hugs> LG. I'm drinking elderflower cordial with fizzy water, you are wlecome to join me.  :-*

I want to thank Shyumu for my not drinking, entirely by coincidence, for the last few months :).
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

shyumu

« Reply #90 on: 17 January, 2013, 11:55:36 pm »
<hugs> LG. I'm drinking elderflower cordial with fizzy water, you are wlecome to join me.  :-*

I want to thank Shyumu for my not drinking, entirely by coincidence, for the last few months :).

yeahbut too late to launch a "Folic acid for fun" thread.  Buttersmall mercies.  Now, what to spend the alcohol-saved cash on?  Do Rapha do bib's?

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #91 on: 18 January, 2013, 06:52:15 pm »
Actualy I consumed leftover folic acid supplements from my wife's second pregnancy. I was drinking quite heavily at the time, and I read that it helped with certain conditions brought on by alcohol dependency...
Embrace your inner Fred.

« Reply #92 on: 24 January, 2013, 01:40:17 pm »
Only one week to go :thumbsup:I hope you are all getting on OK,on a positive note I have lost another 2lbs this week,I have however improved my diet as well. l have noticed how dominant alcohol is in our society.In the supermarket for example its not just a case of avoiding the alcohol aisle, or in my supermarkets 3 aisles, but they also put the stuff on the end of aisles.Hope fully the roads should be ice free next week,so might be able to get out on my bike.

Chris S

« Reply #93 on: 24 January, 2013, 01:43:54 pm »
You want to try a low-carb diet in conjunction with Dry January! 80% of my local Tesco is rendered Out of Bounds in one fell swoop.

I'm only interested in the Meat, Dairy and Salad sections now. Makes shopping really easy!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #94 on: 24 January, 2013, 01:51:58 pm »
Online shopping makes avoiding unnecessary purchases easy; I don't click on 'Baby' and I seldom click on 'Drinks'.
I did click on 'Drinks' this week so I could order some' no added sugar' lemon squash.

« Reply #95 on: 24 January, 2013, 03:45:45 pm »
The supermarkets are making us fat and sucking the life out of our towns.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #96 on: 24 January, 2013, 04:01:01 pm »
The supermarkets are making us fat and sucking the life out of our towns.

Try eating sensibly if you're housebound and car-free.
I'm getting slimmer and not eating junk.

« Reply #97 on: 24 January, 2013, 05:53:43 pm »
Well done HM it can't be easy for you. It just goes to show what we can do with a bit of positive thinking.

Chris S

« Reply #98 on: 29 January, 2013, 04:29:57 pm »
Who is still in then? Own up!

More than four weeks since I had a drink. That's the longest stretch for a long long time  :thumbsup:.

It's pretty much a non-issue now. I was grumpy on one or two evenings, but it's gradually got easier. I certainly don't feel the need to go get hammered on Feb 1st  :).

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #99 on: 29 January, 2013, 04:48:02 pm »
I had a ginger beer at the weekend.  Other than that, nowt.  And this thread served as a prompt for me to be a bit more mindful about it, and maybe get back to my default setting of thinking 'do I want a glass of wine/whatever' rather than having a drink because it is there, or because someone else is, or because I happen to be in the pub.  A useful exercise!