Author Topic: Best pump head for Bromptons  (Read 8956 times)

Best pump head for Bromptons
« on: 26 July, 2022, 06:34:50 pm »
I am finding it almost impossible to get my current track pump head to fit on the valves of my Schwalbe-tubed Brompton. I have just had to give up entirely on one wheel. It won’t allow me to actually inflate so all I am doing is pressuring the tubing twixt pump and head.

It’s a well-used Topeak Smarthead - this is the closest I can find to it:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/pumps/topeak-smarthead-pump-head-hose-upgrade-kit/

It’s always been fine but until acquiring a Brompton it has only ever been used on Presta valves. Even when I can get it to work, it is a bit of a tight fit between the spokes as it needs to be jammed on hard before using the lever and inflating.

Any recommendations for a replacement pump head that fits well in the restricted Brompton wheel? Obviously it needs to be good for Presta as well.

Re: Best pump head for Bromptons
« Reply #1 on: 26 July, 2022, 06:40:26 pm »
There's a little screw-on device which turns the valve through 90°
Makes life much easier.
Cannot remember who does it at the moment.
Here y'go
I think mine came from SJS.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 26 July, 2022, 06:45:07 pm »
There's a little screw-on device which turns the valve through 90°
Makes life much easier.
Cannot remember who does it at the moment.

I've got one of those, and I also can't remember what it's called.  Non-return valve, so you can take your time faffing about with the pump.
 Brilliant for children's bikes, trailers and things.

My Brompton has Presta tubes in it (to avoid wrong pump issues), which I tend to inflate with either the Prestaflator angled head, the Brompton-issue mini pump, or a CO2 wossname, depending on how much type 2 fun I'm having.

« Reply #3 on: 26 July, 2022, 06:57:54 pm »
Topeak Pressure Rite adapter. They have versions for Schraeder or Presta.
https://www.topeak.com/global/en/product/265-PRESSURE-RITE-SCHRADER-VALVE-ADAPTER

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 26 July, 2022, 07:13:11 pm »
https://www.topeak.com/global/en/product/265-PRESSURE-RITE-SCHRADER-VALVE-ADAPTER

That's the badger.

« Reply #5 on: 26 July, 2022, 07:59:21 pm »
Thanks all - I’ll get one of those adapters and see if the existing head fits ok on that.

What I can’t understand is that I can always get the head to work on the front wheel but not the rear. Both have the same tubes, and I can push the head on to the valve equally well on both. But on the rear I can’t get it to pump through, as if the head is failing to push the valve stem in. It’s not the limited space between the spokes as that is only an issue when getting the pump head off.

Might replace the washer on the Smarthead too.

« Reply #6 on: 26 July, 2022, 11:01:59 pm »
I've got a Topeak Twinhead kit on my pump - because the previous head wore out - fitting it was nothing to do with the Brompton, which came later. It works fine on my Brompton - no issues at all.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: 26 July, 2022, 11:05:07 pm »
I have a Twinhead on one track pump and a Smarthead on the other. Choose the Twinhead every time, is my advice.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #8 on: 27 July, 2022, 07:40:41 pm »

That's the badger.

Got one today. That makes things much more civilised with an immediate reduction in bad swears.

Also treated myself to a new pump head too - Topeak Smarthead Threadlock. Much better and made me realise that the old one wasn't that great on Presta valves either.

« Reply #9 on: 28 July, 2022, 10:17:30 pm »
Well I shall revise or reserve my opinion on this:

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/product/421-SMARTHEAD-THREADLOCK-UPGRADE-KIT

Very good on Schrader valves, but it has just repeatedly unscrewed the core of a Presta, annoyingly.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 28 July, 2022, 11:57:21 pm »
I don't like screwy-on heads with Presta valves in general.  Usually they're fine, but they all seem inclined to loosen the valve off eventually.

Mind you, the ones that chew their way through washers are equally annoying, but less inclined to let you down at the roadside.  And necessary for covered wheels.

« Reply #11 on: 29 July, 2022, 07:57:10 am »
Probably a bit late, but the Silca crack pipe (it might actually be called the disc wheel adaptor) is great. Perfect for small spaces and the not-so-small.

« Reply #12 on: 29 July, 2022, 08:46:44 am »
I don't like screwy-on heads with Presta valves in general.  Usually they're fine, but they all seem inclined to loosen the valve off eventually.

That’s my conclusion too. Good for Schrader, not for Presta. Unscrewed the core even when the core was much tighter than it needs to be.

« Reply #13 on: 31 July, 2022, 06:29:19 pm »
I agree that is a PITA. A drop of threadlock does the trick, but that is also a PITA.

« Reply #14 on: 24 October, 2022, 10:51:31 pm »

I haven’t been getting on well with this. Every time I attach it, I have to reposition it and fiddle about to get it to allow air to enter. It’s as if both connections have to be sitting at 90 degrees exactly (or exactly in line at the other end) to get the thing to work. And they are never sitting at 90 due to the weight of my pump head and the weather inflexible pump tubing that I have. Going to try an alternative.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #15 on: 25 October, 2022, 08:17:02 am »
Our current floor pump is a Pedros Super Prestige which does Bromptons without any problems.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #16 on: 25 October, 2022, 09:20:10 am »
My floor pump is also a Pedros, but the head is (now) a Topeak Twinhead, which is excellent aside from on Brompton wheels (too big for the front) and when using that Topeak 90 degree adapter.

« Reply #17 on: 25 October, 2022, 01:46:39 pm »
My floor pump is also a Pedros, but the head is (now) a Topeak Twinhead, which is excellent aside from on Brompton wheels (too big for the front) and when using that Topeak 90 degree adapter.
I use a Topeak Twinhead too and don't have any major problems with either of my Brompton's tyre inflation, but I also use presta valved tubes. No other adapters needed.

« Reply #18 on: 26 October, 2022, 08:57:47 am »
There's a thought. I'm not sure why I've stuck with the Schraders on the Brompton, I don't have them on anything else.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19 on: 26 October, 2022, 12:52:03 pm »
There's a thought. I'm not sure why I've stuck with the Schraders on the Brompton, I don't have them on anything else.

PSA: The Brompton mini-pump has a reversible thinger to fit Presta.

(I Presta-ified mine for compatibility with everything else.)

« Reply #20 on: 26 October, 2022, 06:20:35 pm »
Are Presta and Schrader valves the same diameter at the rim?

Anyway, I’ll probably have to persevere for the time being, otherwise what would I do with 2 Schrader Brompton tubes if I changed over. 

« Reply #21 on: 26 October, 2022, 06:26:09 pm »
No.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #22 on: 26 October, 2022, 06:41:17 pm »
If you want to go that way, use a grommet with Presta valves.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #23 on: 26 October, 2022, 07:01:49 pm »
Some valve lock rings (specialized I think) have a protrusion so they self centre in Schraeder sized valve holes.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #24 on: 26 October, 2022, 07:46:34 pm »
Schwalbe do