Author Topic: John Radford  (Read 59219 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: John Radford
« Reply #250 on: 06 November, 2014, 06:07:01 pm »
That is sad, and also a closure and an end to uncertainty. Albeit the worst end to that.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #251 on: 06 November, 2014, 07:19:13 pm »
I've only just caught up with this situation after a few months of inactivity on the Audax front. This is truly sad news. I met John a few times and he was a nice guy. My thoughts to his wife and family.

RIP John.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #252 on: 06 November, 2014, 08:12:43 pm »
Sad news,

RIP John.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #253 on: 06 November, 2014, 08:33:52 pm »
His daughter, Helen Gorman, wants to know why he wore this hat

that she is modelling.
Any ideas or knowledge?

« Reply #254 on: 06 November, 2014, 10:56:22 pm »
Emma has posted the details for the funeral

JOHN RADFORDS FUNERAL
 We would like to thank you all for the kind words you have written about our amazing dad.
 The Funeral will take place at Christ Church Helme (near to Meltham) on 19th November at 12 noon.
 The service will be a celebration of dads life, and we want lots of smiles!
 Cycling was my dads life and I am sure that he would appreciate an array of cycling jerseys in the church to highlight this. Some of you may want to arrive by bike which we also welcome!
 We have asked that only family send flowers, a collection at the service will be split between Helme church and Street Bikes CIC.
 We hope that you can join us
 Emma, Helen and pat.....xx

« Reply #255 on: 07 November, 2014, 07:50:40 am »
I will be there.   anyone want a lift from the midlands.

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #256 on: 07 November, 2014, 08:44:19 am »
A sad end to this terrible business. I hope that the CPS consider a more serious charge in light of the outcome.

« Reply #257 on: 07 November, 2014, 08:58:55 am »
This is so incredibly sad. Sincere condolences to John's family.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #258 on: 07 November, 2014, 12:55:44 pm »
I will be there.   anyone want a lift from the midlands.

Geoff

Sadly I've haven't any holidays left otherwise I'd have joined you.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #259 on: 07 November, 2014, 03:19:41 pm »
Update from the Police

This is an update in respect of the traffic collision on Huddersfield Road, Holmfirth on July 31 last year in which John Radford was seriously injured after the bike he was riding was in collision with a vehicle.

Assistant Chief Constable of West Yorkshire Police Mark Milsom said: "We are saddened to hear the news of John Radford’s death. Our thoughts are with his family and we will continue to support them.

"The driver convicted in respect of the collision in which John was seriously injured is presently awaiting sentencing at the Crown Court on the 25th November.

"We have therefore immediately raised the matter with the Crown Prosecution service, to enable them to refer the case to the Attorney General who is responsible for considering further proceedings in such circumstances."

« Reply #260 on: 07 November, 2014, 03:39:20 pm »
I wonder if that means that sentencing will be adjourned.

« Reply #261 on: 07 November, 2014, 03:42:35 pm »
It's time for a new offence on the statute book: manslaughter/murder by aggressive driving. No conviction presently available to the courts is adequate when the car has been deliberately used as a weapon.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #262 on: 07 November, 2014, 03:51:11 pm »
If the car has deliberately been used as a weapon then the appropriate charge would be manslaughter or GBH.  I think that has happened successfully in at least one case.  Proving it is extremely difficult so the CPS tend to charge DD instead. 

It would be legally impossible to have murder by DD as a separate offence to murder.

« Reply #263 on: 07 November, 2014, 03:59:11 pm »
So very sorry to hear this. RIP John and condolences to family and all who were close to him. As others have said, there are no winners with regard to the legal action but let's hope Gledhill receives a suitable exemplary sentence.

« Reply #264 on: 07 November, 2014, 04:57:32 pm »
I wonder if that means that sentencing will be adjourned.

Possibly.

I think that they are implying that, as Gledhill hasn't been sentenced, the case isn't technically finalised. That might mean that AG has the ability to present the case to court for an escalation in the charge.

Unless all parties act very swiftly in this, I suspect sentencing will be delayed.

spindrift

« Reply #265 on: 07 November, 2014, 06:32:44 pm »
A change in the charge could raise the maximum sentence from five to fourteen years.

« Reply #266 on: 07 November, 2014, 07:41:13 pm »
A change in the charge could raise the maximum sentence from five to fourteen years.

But he was tried on the charge at the time, and will be sentenced accordingly.  Different charge = new trial.  Seems unlikely.

No way of looking at any of this and feeling anything less than heartbroken.

« Reply #267 on: 07 November, 2014, 08:51:20 pm »
This is terribly sad news and, while I didn't know John, his legacy in the world of long distance cycling is clear.  An enormous loss to our family awheel.

If the car has deliberately been used as a weapon then the appropriate charge would be manslaughter or GBH.  I think that has happened successfully in at least one case.  Proving it is extremely difficult so the CPS tend to charge DD instead. 

It would be legally impossible to have murder by DD as a separate offence to murder.

I got home on a road death as manslaughter (as SIO and prosecuted by an extremely able QC) by gross negligence where the car was very clearly used as a weapon.  The indictment was murder but we knew that landing that was always going to be difficult.

« Reply #268 on: 08 November, 2014, 05:21:20 pm »
Very sad news. I only met John a couple of times on Auxaxs back in 2007.  One of them was Paris Brest Paris where my main memory is of him wandering around naked in the shower changing room in Brest asking if anyone had seen his bib shorts, he seemed to think someone had stolen them.

RIP John.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #269 on: 13 November, 2014, 05:38:00 pm »
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #270 on: 13 November, 2014, 07:38:34 pm »
Whenever I see a ghost bike it genuinely brings tears to my eyes.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #271 on: 13 November, 2014, 09:12:52 pm »
John's accident took place on a route I ride a lot of weekends each year.

My condolences to his family - and it only brings to mind that it could have been any one of us.

« Reply #272 on: 13 November, 2014, 09:32:43 pm »

It was not an accident.

Michael Gledhill deliberately drove his car into John's bike.

Fortunately people like Gledhill are very much in the minority.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #273 on: 14 November, 2014, 07:42:06 am »
Thanks for posting that. I'll not make it to the funeral next week so I'll visit the bike soon and pay my respects to a great and wonderful man.

« Reply #274 on: 14 November, 2014, 02:29:21 pm »

It was not an accident.
Michael Gledhill deliberately drove his car into John's bike.
Fortunately people like Gledhill are very much in the minority.

Indeed, RoadPeace is campaigning hard to get the language right, because accident implies unavoidable, yet the vast majority of road crashes are totally avoidable

http://www.roadpeace.org/resources/Crash_not_Accident_May_11_2011.pdf