Author Topic: Interesting or unusual planes?  (Read 390357 times)

Re: Interesting or unusual planes?
« Reply #1000 on: 19 July, 2015, 09:58:57 am »

We had a look at this last week:

FK 23 Bantam. Designed by Dutchman Frederick Koolhoven. Only a handful were ever built circa 1920.

Nice - where was this?

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #1001 on: 19 July, 2015, 10:11:23 am »
Rilksmuseum, Amsterdam. I was there last year.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #1002 on: 19 July, 2015, 02:31:00 pm »

FK 23 Bantam. Designed by Dutchman Frederick Koolhoven. Only a handful were ever built circa 1920.

Nice - where was this?

In the Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #1003 on: 20 July, 2015, 02:24:18 pm »

Nice - where was this?

Just look at the restricted view the pilot had!!!!!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #1004 on: 20 July, 2015, 05:12:34 pm »
If you look at the following images, and see how small the plane is, it is more likely that the pilot would have had a very good view, on account of his head and shoulders sticking out above the upper wing.

http://static0.volkskrant.nl/static/photo/2012/12/3/7/20120821092025/album_large_1328587.jpg

http://static0.ad.nl/static/photo/2012/5/15/4/album_large_1328599.jpg
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #1005 on: 20 July, 2015, 05:27:39 pm »
I like the 1920s GoPro attached to the rear of the fuselage; I thought they were a more modern invention. I assume it is B&W only version with no sound, just a piano soundtrack.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #1006 on: 21 July, 2015, 10:20:09 am »
There's a separate mount for the piano, not fitted in that shot.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1007 on: 21 July, 2015, 10:23:47 am »
There's a separate mount for the piano, not fitted in that shot.

They thought of everything back in the 1920s.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #1008 on: 21 July, 2015, 10:54:46 am »
If you look at the following images, and see how small the plane is, it is more likely that the pilot would have had a very good view, on account of his head and shoulders sticking out above the upper wing.

http://static0.volkskrant.nl/static/photo/2012/12/3/7/20120821092025/album_large_1328587.jpg

http://static0.ad.nl/static/photo/2012/5/15/4/album_large_1328599.jpg

Er . . . neither of them pics show the wings in position Speshers, so I still maintain the pilot would've had very poor visibility. End of. I win. True factz!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1009 on: 27 July, 2015, 02:46:23 am »
Rode in a couple of Turbine Otter seaplanes between Vancouver and Vancouver Island this weekend. For the first trip, I was in the copilot's seat.

On Saturday, while riding a 400 brevet, I saw a twin engine amphibian (Grumman?) followed shortly by a 4 engine flying boat, the Martin Mars waterbomber. It flew directly overhead several times but no photos. Between the narrow valley, low altitude (lining up for a water pickup) and the tall conifers along the lakeside highway, I never reacted fast enough. It is bigger than the various Shorts flying boats, which I've never seen in the air anyway.
http://www.martinmars.com/aircraft.htm
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #1010 on: 28 July, 2015, 12:49:08 pm »

On Saturday, while riding a 400 brevet, I saw twin engine amphibian (Grumman?)

Possibly a goose?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumman_G-21_Goose
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1011 on: 28 July, 2015, 03:31:31 pm »
Not possibly, almost certainly, though I only saw it from underneath, albeit at fairly close quarters.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #1012 on: 30 July, 2015, 01:15:46 pm »
Alas no pics but seen over the workshop this week
1, Swordfish from RN historic flight, 2, Spitfire of unknown mark, suspect a Mk14
3, 4x Sukhoi SU30 Flankers of the Indian Air Force 4, 4x  F16s of unknown origin,
5. Cobham Aviation Dassault Falcon, plus all the usual Typhoons and Tornados etc

Been very noisy, those Flankers sound like a whole squadron of Typhoons !

Dave Yates
It's not just hitting it with a hammer but knowing where to hit it and how hard

paul851

« Reply #1013 on: 30 July, 2015, 10:03:19 pm »
Unexpected visitor whilst waiting at Leeds General Infirmary  for youngest son to have his  chemo an  AH-64 Apache landed on the helipad on the roof  ??? no pictures but someone has posted a vid on Youtube Here.

Paul

« Reply #1014 on: 31 July, 2015, 09:10:12 am »
Unexpected visitor whilst waiting at Leeds General Infirmary  for youngest son to have his  chemo an  AH-64 Apache landed on the helipad on the roof  ??? no pictures but someone has posted a vid on Youtube Here.

Urban landing training:

http://www.leedsth.nhs.uk/about-us/news-and-media/news-item/article/apache-helicopter-is-first-for-hospital-helicopter-deck/

LGI allow the MOD to use the helipad as part of pilot training.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1015 on: 31 July, 2015, 11:07:04 am »
Well, since the MoD kindly provide so many patients for the NHS and the overstretched health services of other countries, it seems a natural partnership.
Getting there...

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1016 on: 31 July, 2015, 11:39:19 am »

Nice - where was this?

Just look at the restricted view the pilot had!!!!!

If the engine runs total loss lubrication with castor oil, a restricted view would be the very least of the pilot's problems...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1017 on: 31 July, 2015, 12:59:33 pm »

Paul

I hope your lad's chemo works out and the surprised visitor caused what I imagine to be a much needed distraction.  Hugs.

fuzzy

« Reply #1018 on: 31 July, 2015, 04:17:26 pm »
What looked like a Curtiss P-40 Warhawk complete with teeth flew low over the school and White Waltham as I was leaving to go home yesterday (or was it the day before?).

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1019 on: 02 August, 2015, 08:00:41 am »
Couple of days of sad news on the airshow front.

Pilot died when Gnat crashed at Oulton Park, and a Spitfire was damaged (pilot survived with injuries) at Biggin Hill

http://airshowstuff.com/v4/2015/pilot-ok-after-spitfire-crashes-at-biggin-hill-after-losing-power-on-takeoff/
Getting there...

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #1020 on: 02 August, 2015, 10:02:01 am »
A triplane with WW1 German insignia just flew overhead here in Herts.
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

« Reply #1021 on: 02 August, 2015, 12:43:09 pm »
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #1022 on: 02 August, 2015, 12:55:16 pm »
Couple of days of sad news on the airshow front.

Pilot died when Gnat crashed at Oulton Park, and a Spitfire was damaged (pilot survived with injuries) at Biggin Hill

http://airshowstuff.com/v4/2015/pilot-ok-after-spitfire-crashes-at-biggin-hill-after-losing-power-on-takeoff/

My house is under one of the landing approaches to Hawarden. Heard the survivor of the pair go overhead yesterday afternoon.  :(
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #1023 on: 03 August, 2015, 04:42:12 pm »
On Saturday we went on a ride and called in briefly at East Kirkby air museum in Lincolnshire.
(Mrs. M 's mother's cousin married a chap who was a navigator on bombers there during WW2.)
We were hoping for a quick look round the museum but we found a full on air show in progress so decided against it.
We then went down a side road which crossed the truncated parts of the main runways and stopped to watch the aircraft on their approach . We  were chatting  with a couple of guys with serious photography gear.
One posts on Flickr- https://www.flickr.com/photos/manxnorton  and he was telling us about the IAF planes mentioned by Dave upthread. They were at Coningsby all week training with the RAF.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1024 on: 04 August, 2015, 07:09:16 pm »
Ukrainian pilots doing their thing

Can someone ID the aircraft, please?
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup: