Author Topic: Proposing a BUG at work  (Read 1771 times)

Proposing a BUG at work
« on: 28 October, 2008, 01:32:30 pm »
I finally relented* and have volunteered to put together a proposal for a BUG at work.

I know that some good resources have been posted here already, but a search on "BUG" brings up many, many references that simply remind me what a sweary lot we are, and I can't find the right stuff.

Could someone point me in the general direction? There was a particularly good link to a site that sets out how to propose a BUG / details the benefits. (I will state in my defence that I am making use of the power of Google but any help would be most welcome).

*You know what finally did it? I'm fed up of people leaving the shower floors swimming in water and want a way of communicating my disgust to my fellow cycle commuters. Hahahahaha.  :thumbsup:

Re: Proposing a BUG at work
« Reply #1 on: 29 October, 2008, 12:37:24 am »
I'm looking.

If nothing turns up I'm always happy to chat. I help run the BUG where I work. Approx 4000 people and 350 in the BUG. I was one of the founder members and am one of the gang of three that operate a benign dictatorship.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #2 on: 29 October, 2008, 12:50:11 am »
There's this one back over the road.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #3 on: 29 October, 2008, 09:09:25 am »
Thanks Hatler. I eventually realised that the BUG discussions must have been way back on acf so I dug around and found quite a lot. Can I pass my proposal by you when I've done it? Would really appreciate your feedback on it.

« Reply #4 on: 29 October, 2008, 09:50:55 am »
But of course !!  I'd be disappointed if you didn't.

Kathy too has some experience of BUG running.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #5 on: 29 October, 2008, 10:12:51 am »
I run the BUG here as well.
About 10% of the staff cycle in, so not bad.

We've got decent bike parking (mostly) although need more of it.
Just got the Bike2Work scheme approved.
Fought off proposals to make cyclists walk into the car park.

Combined forces with the other sportsmen and women and have lobbied for better showers and a drying room.

There's a lot you can do just by group e-mails.
We only meet rarely and we usually only get about 6-10 people turn up anyway.

Very complacent our lot!

« Reply #6 on: 29 October, 2008, 10:41:21 am »
Which reminds me...
I proposed one here and got agreement, but haven't got my act together to do anything formally about it, although I did have a meeting with our facilities manager, who has been very receptive. He promptly ordered some sheffield stands to be sited in front of reception (to add to the wheelbender we already have in the corner of the car park) we've got some lockers now as well.

Have you had a look here
Cycle Friendly Employers' - welcome

One of the (probably obvious) things I realised is that what I would like as a "committed and experienced cyclist" may differ vastly from the others I would like to encourage to cycle in. For me, a BUG is a means of identifying and minimising obstacles to cycling in; encouraging people to give it a try and importantly, ensuring that the most appropriate facilities get installed so they get used. An example here is the wheelbender rack that were placed with good intentions years back - with the involvement of cyclists, much better provision could have been made.
"Only the cyclist knows why the dog rides with its head out the window"

« Reply #7 on: 29 October, 2008, 11:01:11 am »
Apologies for long-windedness, but here's the note we send all new BUG members. It pretty much covers all that we do.

Welcome to the Bicycle User Group (BUG). We are fairly active and now have over 350 members. The group is aimed at those who cycle to work (even if this is only an occasional event) and those who are just thinking about it. Offers to help the existing BUG action team to organise some of the BUG activities would be most welcome.
The BUG asks nothing of you except your support. If you are able to offer your advice to any BUG member that asks the group for some help, then that is always welcome.

The BUG's aims are to : -
   promote cycling
   raise road safety and awareness amongst all road users
   get facilities for cyclists improved

Cycling Safely
Top of the pile for cyclist safety are these two tips : -
1    NEVER cycle on the inside of a large vehicle. Most cyclist deaths and serious injuries are caused by this.
2    NEVER cycle in the 'Door Zone' (ie in the area where you would be hit if a car driver or passenger threw their door fully open). Most collisions between cars and cyclists are caused by this.
And number 3 is to read the booklet attached to this mail from cover to cover !!

Cycle Security
Beware. There have been a recent number of bike thefts on site. The BUG recommend that you keep your bike in the secure bike park area behind Building A. Until further notice the open bike sheds behind Buildings D and F will be closed off. The BUG are working to persuade site management that a second secure area is required behind Building F. Please find attached a document from the London Borough of Camden detailing ways to make sure your bike is as safe as possible from theft. Consider insuring your bike. It may be that your household contents policy already covers bikes, but check that it is covered away from home, many policies make this specific exclusion.

See also this thread in our BUG forum - URL thingy

Basic Info
Please could you complete this spreadsheet and return it to me. It will help the BUG do a number of things.
1   Update our list of Building Reps (who show new cyclists where the facilities are)
2   Update our list of Cycle-Buddies (to help guide new cyclists the way to Sunbury and/or to provide routing info)
3   Calculate the rough CO2 saving to which BUG members contribute
4   Determine the size of the 'locker problem'
5   Determine how many parking spaces BUG members don't occupy !

Alternatively you can update the master document at the BUG's Sharepoint site - Another URL thingy

Cycling Law
Cyclists are classified as vehicles, albeit not motorised ones. Traffic law therefore applies to bicycles as it does for cars. Most of the Highway Code rules refer to vehicles, and bicycles are included within that grouping (unless specifically excluded). Principally, there are three common cyclists' actions that significantly affect (in a hugely negative way) the general public's view of cyclists, apart from being illegal : -
   jumping red lights,
   cycling on the pavement,
   cycling at night without lights.
It's really simple - DON'T !

Bicycles have an absolute entitlement to use the roads (even where cycle lanes/paths are provided). To help ensure that this position is maintained the BUG believes it very important that cyclists obey the law at all times when on the roads.

The BUG Offer
There are four things the BUG offer; regular free bike servicing, Building Reps, Cycle Buddies and routing advice.

1 The bike servicing is done by qualified bike mechanics and is scheduled to run four times a year.
   2 We have BUG members in every building on site so there is someone nearby who will be able to show you where the facilities are in your building.
   3/4 If you are looking for some route advice then a number of BUG members have offered to accompany newbie cyclists for a few runs into work. We have pretty good coverage of the surrounding area ! Contact me if you would like us to rustle up a buddy for you. (Check also the BUG forum page on route suggestions - URL. When you have determined the best route for you, please add it to this thread so that others can take advantage of your knowledge.)

(If you need a locker you should speak to the Front of House in the building of your choice and ask for one. Explain that you are in the BUG. This should mean you go to the top of the waiting list (apart from other BUG members on the list).)

Contacting the BUG
As there are now so many of us we ask that you think carefully before generating unnecessary e-mail. Instead, we launched the BUG forum. This is a UK wide resource and you will notice that there are specific sections for three other company locations, together with boards that are applicable to the cycling community in general.

If you have a non-urgent question, then ask it in the relevant section of the forum and a mail will be sent to all members of the relevant BUG(s). Any subsequent responses to your post do not generate a mail to the whole group, just those that have contributed to the thread.

If you need something urgently (spanner, inner tube or the like) then don't hesitate mailing the group. I would like to think you will always get someone prepared to help out at short notice, but please bcc the group to avoid the pitfalls of everyone hitting the 'Reply All' button.

The huge benefit from having such a large group is that there is ample advice available about gear, mending things, routing, etc etc. You will find a few threads in the forum which cover many of the favourite topics. Beyond the forum and the BUG list, the BUG panel are always happy to help out wherever we can. In addition to the knowledge the group has, we like to think that by speaking with one cycling voice we are more able to have an affect on how site management accommodate cyclists.

Cycle Training
Did you know that the company offer cycling courses through the Access to Learning program - URL ?  We are convinced that even the most hardened cycle-commuter would benefit (ie be safer) from taking the course offered. We strongly recommend that you apply. The course is listed as 'Cycle with Confidence'. Note that the 'Cycle with Confidence' course is a two hour one-on-one session with a professional trainer, so the training is pitched at precisely the level you need. They are as happy to train complete newbies, as they are experienced cyclo-commuters.

We have just run out of the Surrey County Council booklet, Getting Around. This provides the basics of how to cycle safely on the road. However, it is available as a downloadable pdf file from their website : - (Getting around - an introduction to safe cycling)
and I have also attached it to this note. For the standard reference work on the subject (the road-riding cyclists' bible), consider buying Cyclecraft by John Franklin (published by the Stationery Office). It is available through Amazon.

Cycle to Work Scheme
Another thing we are working towards is to persuade BP to adopt the Government's Cycle to Work Scheme. This would mean that employees would be able to buy a new bike for about half the retail price. HR have not committed to this initiative yet, so if this interests you, please contact your HR rep to let them know that this is something you would like the company to do. Also, update the petition if you can - SharePoint URL.

Happy Cycling !!
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #8 on: 29 October, 2008, 11:01:57 am »
Marvellous! The work I have to do on this is shrinking by the minute  :thumbsup:

« Reply #9 on: 03 November, 2008, 08:23:40 pm »
We've just had a bit of a result.

Site management installed a bolt down speed hump (the very worst sort as far as cyclists are concerned) without any prior warning just prior to the secure cage.

A number of BUG members contacted the site manager directly, and the BUG collated all input and approached the management team with a proposal.

The proposal was too late to change the planned emergency rectification works (of taking one section off each end of the ramp, thereby forcing cyclists into the gutter). They had to do this because someone uttered the word 'safety' and this is about the only thing that can galvanise the organisation into action.

Our proposal was that a section of the ramp be removed in the middle of each lane, allowing cyclists to pass through the ramp without having to deviate into the gutter.

This morning was my first day back at work after a week off, and the mid-lane gaps have appeared !

I hope that our other suggestion of being consulted before any further road works are designed is equally successful.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #10 on: 04 November, 2008, 12:57:15 am »
Site management installed a bolt down speed hump (the very worst sort as far as cyclists are concerned) without any prior warning just prior to the secure cage.

Yes I'll agree to that.  The first day I encountered a bolt down bump in our car park I got all three wheels of the windcheetah airbourne, at which point it started to barrel roll whilst still ascending.  I still don't know how air traffic control got me down onto the runway in one piece.

I believe a motorcyclist has eaten gravel there too.

Good news on your result.  I gave up and now use the computer room instead of the cycle racks.