Author Topic: People who park like fuds  (Read 286588 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: People who park like fuds
« Reply #1125 on: 27 July, 2019, 10:10:03 am »
The amazing thing is that it took about the same time to summon an ambulance to Nowhere, Oregon as it does to get one in Sible Hedingham.   :o
As the Mayor says, no traffic and easy navigation, plus – though I don't know what happened in Sible Hedingham – presumably some triage is involved and this case really was urgent.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1126 on: 27 July, 2019, 01:14:01 pm »
I've yet to see a car number-plate reading "Rue des Acacias".

That's half the problem, I suspect.  No simple algorithm for determining whether a random string is a car number plate.

« Reply #1127 on: 29 July, 2019, 12:13:11 pm »

That's half the problem, I suspect.  No simple algorithm for determining whether a random string is a car number plate.

There must be a simple algorithm for classifying "random string on a car" and "random string on a post"

A

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1128 on: 29 July, 2019, 12:31:39 pm »

There must be a simple algorithm for classifying "random string on a car" and "random string on a post"

Absolutely.  It's called a neural network, and while the algorithms themselves are simple, they're computationally expensive and only as good as the data they're trained on.  They're also notorious for taking unexpected shortcuts: You might think you've trained it to recognise numberplates, but it might actually have learned to recognise a specific font or background colour or proximity to a wheel or the 137 individual models of car in the training set or something.  This is basically the same class of problem that self-driving cars are up against.

It's worth the effort for google to use it to avoid data protection headaches, but since they want to avoid false-negatives, they accept the high rate of false positives.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1129 on: 29 July, 2019, 05:55:20 pm »
Don't they have ranks of poorly paid people in the Philippines to do this?

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #1130 on: 02 August, 2019, 11:17:47 pm »

<Berk^N-inna-Merc>"Oi - don't care how far you've come, you don't roar up the pedestrianised gravel area just to take a picture, ya poxy Cockwomble..."</B^NinnaM>
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1131 on: 08 August, 2019, 05:06:05 pm »

:facepalm:

« Reply #1132 on: 08 August, 2019, 05:55:53 pm »
The sound of one pannier flapping

ian

« Reply #1133 on: 08 August, 2019, 06:13:58 pm »
Our local Tesco Express one house back had a disabled parking bay that overlapped the cycle stands, so it was impossible to use the parking space and the stands simultaneously.

I probably don't have to say that the only disability required to use that parking space seemed to be the possession of an oversized car.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #1134 on: 08 August, 2019, 08:21:40 pm »
Worth a cable lock to see how much trim they’d lose when reversing. :demon:
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

fuzzy

« Reply #1135 on: 09 August, 2019, 11:28:35 pm »
That thought crossed my mind also ;D

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1136 on: 10 August, 2019, 08:36:03 am »
That thought crossed my mind also ;D

What a delightful idea... ;D
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #1137 on: 10 August, 2019, 01:26:11 pm »
Either that or lock the bike to the front drivers side wheel.  :demon:

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1138 on: 15 August, 2019, 08:48:11 pm »
“Once you’ve parked your car, think to yourself: ‘Can you get a fire appliance or an ambulance through that gap and if the answer is ‘no’, then maybe you should park somewhere else, because the next call that we’re coming to might be someone related to you."
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/britains-parking-hell-channel-5-3207076
(I have a feeling I've posted that video before) Anyway, perhaps they should just fit the fire engines with bull bars and shove the parked cars out the way.

ian

« Reply #1139 on: 16 August, 2019, 10:28:35 am »
I think I've said that at the small estate I managed, when I pointed out that someone parking where they did would prevent a fire engine getting around the corner readily agreed, that yes, it would, but you see, there was nowhere else to park so what where they to do?

Eventually, they acceded to parking elsewhere in principle, instead just leaving their car there at night in the hope that no one noticed (when challenged: we'll move it if a fire engine needs to get around). Seriously.

We solved it by physically obstructing the space with a large planter and tree.

Half the streets around us would, I expect, be inaccessible to fire engines, particularly from the evenings onward.

« Reply #1140 on: 16 August, 2019, 01:09:31 pm »
This is on my commute

The roads around here are so narrow and so tightly parked with cars of an evening, that a fire engine has absolutely zero chance of getting around the corners, or within 1/4 of a mile of this.
Effectively, this thing burned until it burnt itself out, causing enough damage to the the road that it needed to be re-surfaced.
And yes, a couple of days after the fire, the council did put a clamp on it, even though I doubt there was anything left on the car by which it could be identified. ???

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1141 on: 16 August, 2019, 03:21:37 pm »
What's happened to the clamp? If it was a rural area I'd say shotgun practice, but... ?

« Reply #1142 on: 16 August, 2019, 03:45:05 pm »
Looking at the full size picture, it appears to be a custom paintjob.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #1143 on: 16 August, 2019, 04:31:43 pm »
What's happened to the clamp? If it was a rural area I'd say shotgun practice, but... ?
Local graffiti artist.
Spray a black blob, add a couple of self adhesive white dots to represent eyes. ::-)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1144 on: 16 August, 2019, 04:40:56 pm »
Zooming in, that becomes clear. Well, the clamp must be worth more than the car now...

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #1145 on: 21 August, 2019, 04:06:31 pm »
For God's sake, don't show Tracy Emin – she'll 'acquire' it and promote it as street art.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1146 on: 21 August, 2019, 04:08:12 pm »
To be fair, the art started when somebody wheel-clamped a burnt-out car.

« Reply #1147 on: 21 August, 2019, 04:28:12 pm »
Word.

Also, it intrigues me that someone should tea-leaf the doors from the auto-flambe.
A) They're unlikely to fit a bodyshell that hasn't been tempered at similar temperatures.
B) I cannot see paint adhering to toasted metalwork.
C) The rest of the trim/glass/rubber you'll need to make them work will probably cost more than that of a half decent second hand BMW 3 series (I'm guessing that's what has been cremated)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1148 on: 21 August, 2019, 04:35:14 pm »
Word.
I'm wondering if nikki otp could incorporate this into her journey series things...  ::-)

fuzzy

« Reply #1149 on: 21 August, 2019, 11:38:43 pm »
Word.

Also, it intrigues me that someone should tea-leaf the doors from the auto-flambe.
A) They're unlikely to fit a bodyshell that hasn't been tempered at similar temperatures.
B) I cannot see paint adhering to toasted metalwork.
C) The rest of the trim/glass/rubber you'll need to make them work will probably cost more than that of a half decent second hand BMW 3 series (I'm guessing that's what has been cremated)
To the right person, all metal has scrap value