Author Topic: How many racers smoke?  (Read 14530 times)

Re: How many racers smoke?
« Reply #25 on: 16 August, 2012, 09:25:05 am »
When we had a holiday in Kenya in the mid 90s I was surprised that the leading brand of cigarettes was 'Sportsman', but back then I was convinced that the one thing that cyclists would never put in their 'Coca Cola' branded bottles on the Tour de France was Coke.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgOnngnCudg

Coke and water (to "flatten" it) was a commonly used drink, especially at the second feed. Cans of cold Coke are/were also put in the mussettes for feed 2 - a bit of caffeine and a change from the rather sticky race drinks. Kelly used to have a trick of dragging an empty can on the ground to sound like a crash and entertain the bunch.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #26 on: 16 August, 2012, 09:52:00 am »
They were giving out small cans of Coke in the musettes in the Giro this year - I saw several shots on the live TV coverage of riders drinking them. Not seen it before but I don't suppose it's a new thing.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #27 on: 16 August, 2012, 10:41:09 am »
When we had a holiday in Kenya in the mid 90s I was surprised that the leading brand of cigarettes was 'Sportsman', but back then I was convinced that the one thing that cyclists would never put in their 'Coca Cola' branded bottles on the Tour de France was Coke.

Coke and water (to "flatten" it) was a commonly used drink, especially at the second feed. Cans of cold Coke are/were also put in the mussettes for feed 2 - a bit of caffeine and a change from the rather sticky race drinks. Kelly used to have a trick of dragging an empty can on the ground to sound like a crash and entertain the bunch.

It's usual to see helpers flattening 2 litre bottle of Coca Cola at 24 hour time trials. I tend to like mine a bit fizzy, as the burping can relieve the bloated feeling of eating so much. At the PBP launch there were 2 litre bottles available. Most consumers seem to prefer 'The Real Thing', I'm happy enough with own brand.
On the Mersey Roads I saw one rider stop for a Coke and smoke, I can't remember if he was wearing a helmet for a full pursed-lips triple-whammy.

« Reply #28 on: 16 August, 2012, 10:42:10 am »
nicotine is not a proscribed substance,

No, but cannabis is, isn't it? I do hope Wiggo isn't doing something silly.

Btw, talking of cyclists who smoke, what on earth has happened to Mr Larrington? Just realised I haven't seen him round these parts in ages.

d.

Not seen him since his "Result" post regarding his suspension.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #29 on: 16 August, 2012, 08:19:56 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/wgOnngnCudg&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/wgOnngnCudg&rel=1</a>

I always find Coke is rather sticky, so I dread to think what the 'race drinks' are like. But then again, I don't like fizzy drinks generally - even Champagne!  :o
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #30 on: 16 August, 2012, 08:32:36 pm »
The Army uses coke to clean carbon off gas plugs in weapons. Says it all really.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #31 on: 16 August, 2012, 10:09:14 pm »
They were giving out small cans of Coke in the musettes in the Giro this year - I saw several shots on the live TV coverage of riders drinking them. Not seen it before but I don't suppose it's a new thing.

d.

As Giropaul says, a little can of coke is typical for a second feed as a little pick-me-up. Morale is a key part of a soigneur's role and the riders will often get all sorts of goodies you might not expect - bidons of hot tea on a cold spring classic, bits of quiche, fruit tarts and little sandwiches. The teams are discreet about it because their nutrition sponsors expect them to toe the line, but a lot of riders just don't get on with gels and energy bars and prefer real food.

« Reply #32 on: 16 August, 2012, 10:28:02 pm »

d.

As Giropaul says, a little can of coke is typical for a second feed as a little pick-me-up. Morale is a key part of a soigneur's role and the riders will often get all sorts of goodies you might not expect - bidons of hot tea on a cold spring classic, bits of quiche, fruit tarts and little sandwiches. The teams are discreet about it because their nutrition sponsors expect them to toe the line, but a lot of riders just don't get on with gels and energy bars and prefer real food.

Supporting a rider on a 24 is a bit of an art. In 2001 I handed up some olives stuffed with anchovies to Heather. So much food is aimed at providing easily-assimilated calories, that something is needed to clear the palate.

The question that needs to be asked is if Bradley is a regular smoker, what's his brand?

« Reply #33 on: 17 August, 2012, 09:51:19 am »

d.

Sometimes with the goodies wrapped in Playboy centrefolds!

« Reply #34 on: 17 August, 2012, 10:01:35 am »
The Army uses coke to clean carbon off gas plugs in weapons. Says it all really.

Phosphoric acid is the active ingredient ISTR
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #35 on: 17 August, 2012, 10:19:36 am »

Phosphoric acid is the active ingredient ISTR

It's what makes it absolutely certain that you won't get a stomach bug. Obviously a tin or bottle is the surest way of ensuring that the water isn't contaminated, but the syrup will kill off most things when it's dispensed via the bar-top. Knowing what it should taste like means you won't get fobbed off with a product that won't kill bacteria. The phosphoric acid performs the same function as the chlorine in tap water.

Sometimes with the goodies wrapped in Playboy centrefolds!

That probably raises the testosterone count, that's perhaps one of the functions of the podium girls. I wonder if any team has experimented with attractive, but teasing, girls to keep the lads on their toes.

« Reply #36 on: 17 August, 2012, 10:59:57 am »
nicotine is not a proscribed substance,

No, but cannabis is, isn't it? I do hope Wiggo isn't doing something silly.

Btw, talking of cyclists who smoke, what on earth has happened to Mr Larrington? Just realised I haven't seen him round these parts in ages.

d.

When I heard he was puling out of the Post Danmark Rund, this was the first thing I thought of. If Dave Brailsford has seen this (and I can't imagine he hasn't), I'm sure there has been a closed door conversation without coffee and sticky buns. It's not just being clean, it's about being seen to be clean and not allowing the shadow of suspicion.

If it was a normal ciggie, then fine, he's been papped. If it wasn't, then 1. He's put Brailsford in an ethically uncomfortable position and 2. He's probably going to take a few weeks off.
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

« Reply #37 on: 17 August, 2012, 11:10:43 am »
It would seem he's been elevated to sleb status where parasites will watch his every move. And take photos of it.

It will be interesting to see what he's going to say about it when he is inevitably asked though...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #38 on: 17 August, 2012, 12:02:46 pm »
When I heard he was puling out of the Post Danmark Rund, this was the first thing I thought of.

Yup, me too. According to the link I posted upthread, they turn a blind eye if you test positive for cannabis out of season, but not if you're racing...  :facepalm:

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #39 on: 18 August, 2012, 12:48:19 am »
How long does weed stay in your system anyway? Assuming he only took a couple of tokes and didn't ingest a heroic amount I'm sure he'd be fine after a day or two.

It's hardly going to enhance his performance, at worst he's more likely to crack more jokes impenetrable to the French (about pulling raffle tickets and the like).

« Reply #40 on: 18 August, 2012, 01:52:33 am »

It's hardly going to enhance his performance, at worst he's more likely to crack more jokes impenetrable to the French (about pulling raffle tickets and the like).

I wouldn't underestimate the French, they know why he wears black socks.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #41 on: 18 August, 2012, 09:37:42 am »
Jason Kenny, and I quote, "...Kenny's on fire..."

IGMC . :)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #42 on: 18 August, 2012, 12:56:35 pm »
From Wiki ...
Urine testing

Marijuana use can be detected 3-4 days after exposure for infrequent users. For heavy users, its 10 days; Chronic users and/or users with high body fat: 30 days or more.[4][5] Or up to 90 days in hair samples,[4] 2–3 days or up to 2 weeks in blood of heavy users[4]

Detection times of 30+ days are actually quite exceptional, even for chronic users subjected to tests with lower than normal cutoffs.

Under the typical 50 ng/mL cutoff for THC in the United States, an occasional or on-off user would be very unlikely to test positive beyond 3–4 days since the last use, and a chronic user would be unlikely to test positive much beyond 7 days. Using a more sensitive cutoff of 20 ng/mL (less common but still used by some labs), the most likely maximum times are 7 days and 21 days, respectively.[6] However, one must remember that every individual is different, and detection times can vary due to metabolism or other factors. It also depends on whether actual THC or THC metabolites are being tested for, the latter having a much longer detection time than the former. THC (found in marijuana) may only be detectable in saliva/oral fluid for 2–24 hours in most cases.

So, assuming light use (not unreasonably), and low % body fay (did you see him after the TT?), he's in the clear provided he does a full-on Gattica body scrub.
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

Toady

« Reply #43 on: 21 August, 2012, 02:45:45 pm »
It's usual to see helpers flattening 2 litre bottle of Coca Cola at 24 hour time trials. I tend to like mine a bit fizzy, as the burping can relieve the bloated feeling of eating so much.

Completely OT, but I've noticed that if I burp while working out on a machine with a HRM my heart rate tends to drop substantially, then pick back up again.