Author Topic: Angry Steve Coogan on Newsnight  (Read 6233 times)

LEE

Re: Angry Steve Coogan on Newsnight
« Reply #25 on: 11 July, 2011, 04:28:56 pm »
Tabloid sales:

Sun 2.8m
Daily Mirror 1.2m
Daily Star 0.73m

NotW 2.8m
Sunday Mirror 1.1m

Thanks, I thought so.

These journo's are making sweeping claims that "The public get what the public want" and it turns out that we choose not to buy this trash in our millions.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #26 on: 11 July, 2011, 04:40:05 pm »
They claim two or three people read each paper that is bought, but still that's a minority of the population.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

LEE

« Reply #27 on: 11 July, 2011, 05:13:19 pm »
They claim two or three people read each paper that is bought, but still that's a minority of the population.

And it's an irrelevance.  It's all about money and how many people actively pay them to print the sleaze.

If just one person bought the NOTW, but everyone on the planet read that copy, they would only have 50p in their coffers. They couldn't use one person spendign 50p as justification and they can't use the argument above (because it's the same argument).

« Reply #28 on: 11 July, 2011, 05:23:59 pm »
3 people reading a copy means 3x the viewers for advertisements.
And the NOTW had a lot of ABC1 readers, according to reports.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #29 on: 11 July, 2011, 05:45:19 pm »
I don't think any of this detracts from the fact that Paul McMullen gives a very good impression of being a repulsive bell-end of considerable magnitude, regardless of whether or not you think he 'gives the people what they want'

« Reply #30 on: 11 July, 2011, 05:46:43 pm »
... People make and watch "Snuff" videos, of people being killed.  I suppose the fact that people buy it justifies it being made...

Nope, there's absolutely no evidence that a Snuff video has ever been made, or existed.  There have been many fakes, and movies mistakenly believed to be snuff movies, as well as films made of murder victims, certainly before they've been murdered, and by the murderers, but no film of an actual murder made by a murderer has been found.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #31 on: 11 July, 2011, 05:51:07 pm »
... People make and watch "Snuff" videos, of people being killed.  I suppose the fact that people buy it justifies it being made...

Nope, there's absolutely no evidence that a Snuff video has ever been made, or existed.  There have been many fakes, and movies mistakenly believed to be snuff movies, as well as films made of murder victims, certainly before they've been murdered, and by the murderers, but no film of an actual murder made by a murderer has been found.

Yep, I was reliably informed by school friends that ‘Driller Killer’ was a snuff film.

I finally got to see it about 15 years later and can confirm that it’s a shit film not a snuff film.

« Reply #32 on: 11 July, 2011, 11:53:11 pm »

[/quote]

I finally got to see it about 15 years later and can confirm that it’s a shit film not a snuff film.

[/quote]

I've tried snuff.  It's shit.

LEE

« Reply #33 on: 12 July, 2011, 08:52:40 am »

Well the existence of Snuff videos isn't really my point, the point being that some people will pay to watch anything, but payment alone isn't a valid justification to create some things.

Unfortunately it seems to be the only justification the sleaze press have, "People pay for it so we'll provide it".  Steve Coogan sums it up perfectly, it's morally bankrupt.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #34 on: 12 July, 2011, 08:56:14 am »
I'm sure if you put wraps of crack cocaine free in a Sunday Paper you'd get a lot of people wanting to buy the paper in future.

Doesn't mean you should do it.
It is simpler than it looks.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #35 on: 12 July, 2011, 09:03:53 am »
I'd love to know if Paul McMullen has ever sniffed cocaine off the buttocks of a prostitute, of if he retires to his wardrobe armed with a bottle of baby lotion, an Action Man dressed in French Legionnaire uniform and the skin of a recently dead poodle.

This fucking unelected, unaccountable, journalist set himself up to be the arbiter of taste and decency. What a dribbling troglodyte  hypocrite.
It is simpler than it looks.

LEE

« Reply #36 on: 12 July, 2011, 09:54:49 am »
I'd love to know if Paul McMullen has ever sniffed cocaine off the buttocks of a prostitute, of if he retires to his wardrobe armed with a bottle of baby lotion, an Action Man dressed in French Legionnaire uniform and the skin of a recently dead poodle.

Buy a copy of the News of the World and find out...oh no you can't anymore...damn it!  Those pesky meddling kids.

« Reply #37 on: 12 July, 2011, 11:17:04 am »
I've tried snuff.  It's shit.

Isn't it meant to be tobacco? And that's worse than shit!  ;)
What's this bottom line for anyway?

« Reply #38 on: 12 July, 2011, 01:35:04 pm »
I don't think any of this detracts from the fact that Paul McMullen gives a very good impression of being a repulsive bell-end of considerable magnitude, regardless of whether or not you think he 'gives the people what they want'
+1. Even his facial expressions & tone of voice are off. Coogan was right early on, when he said "you're a PR disaster for the tabloids".
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #39 on: 12 July, 2011, 02:02:23 pm »
The huge irony is that McMullen is there for self-publicity.

Anyway, this made me giggle:

The Daily Mash - News Corp pays Paul McMullan £1m to stop going on the telly