Author Topic: [HAMR] More thoughts on the current record attempt(s)  (Read 75091 times)

Re: More thoughts on the current record attempt(s)
« Reply #100 on: 14 January, 2016, 11:42:31 am »
I'm assuming his passport is up to date? Why the heck isn't he somewhere warm and flat?

Many of his supporters (certainly on FaceBook) are regularly praising him for doing it the "real" way - i.e. as opposed to how Kurt broke the record, which they presumably think was cheating in some way.  If Steve were to use the same tactics (which I agree he probably should if at all possible) then I wonder what those people would have to say - not that I'd care!
The sound of one pannier flapping

hillbilly

« Reply #101 on: 14 January, 2016, 11:54:34 am »
Steve has already compromised his original "real" approach.  Transfers and a non-1 January start are two examples.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #102 on: 14 January, 2016, 11:55:27 am »
Many of his supporters (certainly on FaceBook) are regularly praising him for doing it the "real" way - i.e. as opposed to how Kurt broke the record, which they presumably think was cheating in some way.

Some people don't like to think. Such is life.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #103 on: 14 January, 2016, 12:00:05 pm »
Will all the details be next to Kurt's record?  Will his helper be mentioned or share the record?

Are pace-makers remembered?

Purity and "real way" are very much subjective.  If rules permit then so be it.  Do we discredit any TDF winners or the Team GB cyclists for not achieving what they did the "real way"?  And what is the "real way" anyway?

LMT

« Reply #104 on: 14 January, 2016, 12:05:14 pm »
As you say the 'real way' is very subjective.

You go by the rules, and the strategy for the attempt and your approach go on from there.

As for the reason why he does not go abroad, imo the reason for this would be the logistics of it and the support structure that he has at his home. I don't know how much of the day to day things his support does and whether this would increase the burden on Steve, more than likely I'd have thought.

Ben T

« Reply #105 on: 14 January, 2016, 12:22:09 pm »
Do we discredit any TDF winners or the Team GB cyclists for not achieving what they did the "real way"?  And what is the "real way" anyway?

Starting in the same place each day to where you stopped the previous day for a start, which they don't in the TdF.
it's not really the tour de france, more "a series of rides all most of which happen to be in france".
;)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #106 on: 14 January, 2016, 01:15:55 pm »
And they aren't tourists! If they were there would be panniers, tea rooms, pubs and quite possibly, camping gear. :D
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #107 on: 14 January, 2016, 01:23:09 pm »
And they aren't tourists! If they were there would be panniers, tea rooms, pubs and quite possibly, camping gear. :D

Is Steve carrying all that kit?  Did Kurt carry all that kit?

« Reply #108 on: 14 January, 2016, 01:23:59 pm »

I thought Tour came from the French for circuit or lap.

« Reply #109 on: 14 January, 2016, 01:35:30 pm »
Many of his supporters (certainly on FaceBook) are regularly praising him for doing it the "real" way - i.e. as opposed to how Kurt broke the record, which they presumably think was cheating in some way.

Perhaps Usain Bolt should wear old leather spikes, heavy flannel shorts and run on a cinder track if he wants his 100m world record to be "real".

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #110 on: 14 January, 2016, 01:56:36 pm »
I remember reading Michael Hutchinson's hilarious account of trying to build a bike that complied with the old UCI Hour record standards, because none of the components were manufactured to that spec any more.  Admittedly he is a skilled satirist and was trying to bend the rules as much as possible, but it does indicate a problem with trying to standardise a record. 

Even with that, hour record hunters are looking for the right track and atmospheric conditions.  As mentioned above the rules is the rules.  Use them wisely. 

I've always been impressed with Steve's fortitude, have no intention of coaching him (as I couldn't possibly ride 200 miles a day back to back in this weather) and will keep my thoughs on whether he will succeed or not private.

However, for those advising a 1 January 2017 relaunch there are some practical considerations, which I don't think have got much airtime: what does Steve do for the next 11 months and, if he does, his one year time trial will then have extended (effectively) to 3 years.  That's more than a chunk out of anyone's life.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #111 on: 14 January, 2016, 02:35:15 pm »
Steve has already compromised his original "real" approach.  Transfers and a non-1 January start are two examples.
And his first (finished) attempt was mega-compromised by using a recumbent!  (Admittedly, he was quite heroically pedalling it with one leg, but that's a minor detail...)

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #112 on: 14 January, 2016, 02:52:16 pm »
The record is hard enough even with the most modern of equipment, which Kurt had and he *only* beat it by 1.3%

The Guinness Book of Records won't print what equipment was used. It will give a name and number. Period.
Mojo is being awakened.

« Reply #113 on: 14 January, 2016, 02:55:53 pm »
However, for those advising a 1 January 2017 relaunch there are some practical considerations, which I don't think have got much airtime: what does Steve do for the next 11 months...

Wind down and get reacquainted with real life for a while. Train to be able to complete the required distances in a shorter elapsed time. Get a part time job to get some grounding in reality back (including regular human contact). Critically review the last 2 years (including the original prep time). Work out the finances. Review all of the decisions made. What worked? What didn't? What could be better/easier/faster/etc? Review equipment choices. Review the approach/plan. Review the numerous suggestions for things he could have done. Research alternatives, try them out. Review the diet during the wind down time, build/train time, and during the future attempt. Staff the new attempt. Come up with the new plan. Communicate it. Etc. Etc.

I don't think this needs all 11 months, so I don't see why he should abandon his current attempt any time soon (barring major/critical problems). He'll make that decision if he decides he's got to the point that it looks like too much. (Obviously I hope it continues to be within his grasp.)

And, as you say, whether he could face another full attempt starting 1st Jan 2017 is something that only Steve knows; whether it will be necessary is something no-one knows with any certainty at the moment.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #114 on: 14 January, 2016, 03:05:03 pm »
Just out of interest. Kurt was interviewed in this week's comic and gave the following insights:-

Q: Does Steve Abraham have a chance?

A: If he doesn't get out of England, no. If he'd had a different plan for the winter, he definitely have had a chance.

Q: Godwin, is the comparison fair?

..But if I'd had to do it in England I wouldn't have broken the record, there's no way in hell I'd be riding in the cold. I know that will make the Tommy fans happy.

Great humility from Kurt in my view and underpinning the fact that there are no givens when taking on the challenge over here.

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #115 on: 14 January, 2016, 03:13:30 pm »
Steve's schedule has been updated by the team: http://oneyeartimetrial.org.uk/the-preparation and their overall target reduced to 76,258.
Mojo is being awakened.

Ben T

« Reply #116 on: 14 January, 2016, 03:17:45 pm »

Perhaps Usain Bolt should wear old leather spikes, heavy flannel shorts and run on a cinder track if he wants his 100m world record to be "real".
Perhaps the people on the london marathon should get the tube every so often. ;)

Ben T

« Reply #117 on: 14 January, 2016, 03:21:35 pm »
However, for those advising a 1 January 2017 relaunch there are some practical considerations, which I don't think have got much airtime: what does Steve do for the next 11 months
Go on celeb BB?

Martin

« Reply #118 on: 14 January, 2016, 03:22:00 pm »
Didn't Tommy get car transport and pacing etc?

There's so much we don't know about his attempt it's hard to compare what's "real"

Ben T

« Reply #119 on: 14 January, 2016, 03:24:19 pm »
He'll make that decision if he decides he's got to the point that it looks like too much.
See I don't think that will happen because I don't think he devotes much time at all to evaluating what his remaining chances are. So he's got no idea how far "behind" or not he is. As far as he's concerned all he's going to do is just pedal as far as he thinks he can every day till august and if he gets it, he gets it, if he doesn't, he doesn't. He hasn't got time to sit down and do maths  and work out the numbers for required mpd increase like we have.

« Reply #120 on: 14 January, 2016, 03:30:50 pm »
Clearly someone on the team has an eye to what needs to be done - hence the new and slightly more realistic schedule.  A little bit hamstrung, really, into choosing a figure greater than or equal to 76076.   There's only so much longer that you can keep absorbing past losses into re-evaluated schedules, mind.

« Reply #121 on: 14 January, 2016, 03:33:59 pm »
Steve's schedule has been updated by the team: http://oneyeartimetrial.org.uk/the-preparation and their overall target reduced to 76,258.

I'm not sure the Team necessarily know either. Some of those dates/distances don't quite match up with Strava. As far as I can see they have confused what happened over last weekend and stuck in a 200 mile ride which didn't happen. (should be a 188 in there somewhere.) According to Strava at any rate.

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #122 on: 14 January, 2016, 03:37:23 pm »
Well, I got halfway to work and turned around and went home again after twenty minutes riding into the freezing sleet. Currently at the computer working at home with a fleece blanket on. If I could go and do winter in the south of France or Spain or anywhere that is as you say, 'warm and flat', I'd be there, purity and dogged Britishness be damned!! I hate winter, and I always forget how much I hate it until it comes back again.

I really hope that Steve can do it, but I admit that it doesn't look very promising at the moment.

There is a cause for hope however: the Daily Express have predicted the coldest winter in 100 years so it's surely going to be one of the warmest ever?

We can hope so! I reckon ice might just be the last straw.
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

« Reply #123 on: 14 January, 2016, 04:05:15 pm »
Well, I got halfway to work and turned around and went home again after twenty minutes riding into the freezing sleet. Currently at the computer working at home with a fleece blanket on. If I could go and do winter in the south of France or Spain or anywhere that is as you say, 'warm and flat', I'd be there, purity and dogged Britishness be damned!! I hate winter, and I always forget how much I hate it until it comes back again.

I really hope that Steve can do it, but I admit that it doesn't look very promising at the moment.

There is a cause for hope however: the Daily Express have predicted the coldest winter in 100 years so it's surely going to be one of the warmest ever?

We can hope so! I reckon ice might just be the last straw.

This weekend is likely to see the coldest weather in the UK for a few years. This cold spell will last into next week, after that it's more uncertain. We haven't had an airfrost at my weather station in south Oxfordshire since November. I'm expecting that to change tonight.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #124 on: 14 January, 2016, 04:12:39 pm »
Just out of interest. Kurt was interviewed in this week's comic and gave the following insights:-

Q: Does Steve Abraham have a chance?

A: If he doesn't get out of England, no. If he'd had a different plan for the winter, he definitely have had a chance.

Q: Godwin, is the comparison fair?

..But if I'd had to do it in England I wouldn't have broken the record, there's no way in hell I'd be riding in the cold. I know that will make the Tommy fans happy.

Great humility from Kurt in my view and underpinning the fact that there are no givens when taking on the challenge over here.

Interesting, CF, I'll look forward to reading the whole thing when I get home.