Author Topic: I sold my fujin - end of an era for me.  (Read 4672 times)

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
I sold my fujin - end of an era for me.
« on: 25 June, 2020, 05:59:24 pm »
Completely self indulgent post. This week I said goodbye to my fujin SL2, complete with the Burrows mono blade and VK2 fairing box. I have got too fat, heavy and unfit to ride it anymore and it's been sitting in the shed judging me for the last few years. Lockdown has made me realise it's tim eto move on.
Now it is in the hands of a younger, fitter and significantly lighter man who will I think make it fly again. (after he's benched it for a bit)
I had the best adventures on that machine. I only got into recumbents because of back problems - and then had a Renaissance, going further, and faster than I ever did on traditional bikes. It was a glorious 10 years. At one point I actually got properly fit too.
I nearly did a great PBP but tendonitis hit, which saved me from ending up in hospital from to much proplus.
Mostly what I loved was that in the right conditions, on the right sort of roads - it was/is a missile. No upright can offer that experience. Road Luge.
I enjoyed the constant workshop needs - the fact it was never a 'bike' but more of a constant prototyping experiment.
The rush of burning past cyclists far better and stronger than me never paled. Crowning in a long descent on the Costa Blanca where I built up enough speed to fly by a German national team chaingang giving it their all - I can still hear the 'whoop whoop' and the dropping of the chasers before I made a sharp turn into a cafe stop. Total joy, still makes me smile. In some way I never stopped being 12 and this bike was a time machine.
I loved the years I was in audax and the lonely nights where one might see a red tail light far away, and the dawning light, the intense smells of lonely lanes in the small hours. Stopping for a coffee and staring at the floor like all the other middle aged chaps.
Plus good people, because to ride this way demands a certain ability to defy convention, to want more than to look like Armstrong (although that's exactly what I wanted when I started the adventure). 
Very happy days.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Re: I sold my fujin - end of an era for me.
« Reply #1 on: 25 June, 2020, 07:20:25 pm »
Hi Tigerrr,
A big thank you for passing on your speedmachine to me, five years later I can ride it and might even have it working properly (for me).  Funny, I was actually thinking of pestering you as to how/why you made the move from SPM to SL2.
Hope you've found the best next ride.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #2 on: 27 June, 2020, 10:57:02 am »
I made the transition to the Fujin because the speed machine, while brilliant for going fast for a while, became heavy on longer rides, and sapped my legs after a few hours in on scenic terrain. I was never a quick climber even on road bikes. The fujin solved that problem very well, weighing in at 11 kg before I added the stuff.
The speed machine gave me strong recumbent legs though, with the payback being able to make the fujin really go, and it still felt light at the end of a long day. 
The Speedmachine became my daily commuter bike because it was so solid and bombproof. The fujin was anything but bombproof. I think the seat might be the only component that is original on it!

« Reply #3 on: 27 June, 2020, 11:47:56 am »
So, time to move on; what have you moved on to?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 27 June, 2020, 11:58:26 am »
I loved that post. For both remembering good times and for passing your machine to a good home.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #5 on: 27 June, 2020, 12:00:28 pm »
Completely self indulgent post.

An excellent and very moving post.

« Reply #6 on: 27 June, 2020, 12:05:06 pm »
Road luge, what a great description.

« Reply #7 on: 27 June, 2020, 12:15:12 pm »
Great post, Tigerrr. Happy days.

Tigerrr

• Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #8 on: 28 June, 2020, 10:53:28 am »
Jurek - remember you from the Richmond Hell Rides back in the day. Shame this years were cancelled due to the virus.

Tigerrr

• Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #9 on: 28 June, 2020, 12:18:44 pm »
I still have what is now a vintage Condor carbon Leggero (Condors exhibition stand showpiece at Earls Court circa 2003!) which I can't say goodbye to, and a Condor fixed wheel that I used to commute on back at that time. Mostly my riding is now electrically assisted utility riding. I have an ankle sprain from a few years back that has never recovered, and Mortons neuroma. Combined means I can't really push or hold my weight standing on a pedal, and the sensation of a stone in my shoe which is unbearable with SPDs.
I am coming to terms with the likelihood I won't ride properly again.
The Condor Legero is in the opinion of some on here the ugliest thing they have ever seen, being finished in a two tone coffee and cream colour which never caught on. I have always been in denial about that.

« Reply #10 on: 30 June, 2020, 08:31:32 am »
Hey Tiger - as far as I'm concerned, your screen name lives up to your riding style reputation. I saw you on many an audax - but only at the beginning. You was way too quick for me.
Personally, I'm balancing on the fence that says 'will I or won't I ride again'. Time will tell.
Good luck old chap.
Garry Broad

« Reply #11 on: 30 June, 2020, 02:53:00 pm »
I was more impressed that Tigerrr rode his SPM back from the shop through Lahnden - it took me ~3 years to learn to ride it!

Tigerrr

• Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #12 on: 30 June, 2020, 03:05:22 pm »
When I think that I commuted on it for ages, and London traffic as it now appears to me - I think I may be very lucky to be alive. I'd do Marble Arch and Hyde Park Corner most days. But, I commuted by bike since 1982 through central London and in fact the recumbent years were the only years I didn't do a trip to A&E about every 2 yrs. When I ride my regular bike today I have the weird feeling of being invisible.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #13 on: 30 June, 2020, 06:22:04 pm »
Hey Tiger - as far as I'm concerned, your screen name lives up to your riding style reputation. I saw you on many an audax - but only at the beginning. You was way too quick for me.
Personally, I'm balancing on the fence that says 'will I or won't I ride again'. Time will tell.
Good luck old chap.

ISTR Tigerrr taking off up Hackpen Hill on one edition of the Marlborough Connection like Jan Ullrich chasing a team car with a cake on the parcel shelf...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #14 on: 30 June, 2020, 08:46:07 pm »
Good luck old chap.

ISTR Tigerrr taking off up Hackpen Hill on one edition of the Marlborough Connection like Jan Ullrich chasing a team car with a cake on the parcel shelf...

I wonder if that was the same Jan Ullrich on the same Marlborough Connection that I saw controlling on 'beer' at various points throughout the day [once, from memory].  ;D

Some time ago now, but I always thought the MC was an excellent 200.
Garry Broad

Tigerrr

• Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #15 on: 04 July, 2020, 03:19:12 pm »
Good luck old chap.

I should acknowledge - I was inspired to take the plunge by reading the amusing posts you used to do about recumbent riding and was always a bit in awe of you. I think you reached a sort of apotheosis with your PBP experience. Von Broad is of course an inspiration to all - few people have welded up their bike mid ride, and I have no idea how he completed so many arduous rides on such heavy beasts. A veritable iron man.

« Reply #16 on: 11 July, 2020, 09:19:29 am »
I bought your fujin - the start of an era for me.

Just highlighting what this thread shows and what you all seem to know well already.

Tigerrr, legend.
Fujin, legend.

I hope I have the guts to do it/you proud.

(First ride out I bottled it descending at 65kph... but I did catch a couple of uprights going up Cock Hill)

« Reply #17 on: 11 July, 2020, 09:28:21 am »
You need to post a photo of the Fujin in the appropriate thread now.

Tigerrr

• Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #18 on: 18 July, 2020, 02:30:01 pm »
Chuffed to see you posting rev.
Don't be a stranger to these parts - there are great folk on yacf, great source of advice etc, and it's the best audax club by a country mile (or an audax mile which is even longer). Mind you I never made it up north so it may be a bit more grim there.
Check out the Fujin SL2 for sale at BikeFix. That's how it ought to look.

« Reply #19 on: 18 July, 2020, 03:34:50 pm »
this one?

Tigerrr

• Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #20 on: 18 July, 2020, 03:38:54 pm »
No that's the one you bought from me!
There's a lovely pristine white one somewhere in the mix. I think it has a rack on the back.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #21 on: 18 July, 2020, 06:41:02 pm »
Roy McDonald has a black SL2 for sale on the BHPC forum.  Cunningly concealed in a thread advertising a Davies D6.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22 on: 18 July, 2020, 06:49:54 pm »
Roy McDonald has a black SL2 for sale on the BHPC forum.  Cunningly concealed in a thread advertising a Davies D6.

I've been la-la-la-not-listening about that.

« Reply #23 on: 19 July, 2020, 01:11:04 am »
It does look nice though. 

stefan

• aka martin
« Reply #24 on: 19 July, 2020, 11:40:48 am »
Tell me that neither the bikefix or Roy McDonald's lovely SL2 would be suitable for longer brevets... is that right? The latter in particular looks like an all out racing machine. But then I see in Tigerr's first post that he successfully used one for Audax... I know nothing about 'bents beyond a test ride on a Schlitter a year or two ago in Portland, and a lot of wishful reading up about them. Very tempted.
Member no. 152 of La Société Adrian Hands