Author Topic: 500 cyclists an hour.  (Read 1438 times)

Flynn

• Fred Killah
500 cyclists an hour.
« on: 19 December, 2012, 03:31:43 pm »
"Cyclists rushing to work are being urged not to use the Regent's Canal. The trust which manages the London waterway said up to 500 cyclists an hour were commuting on the tow path every day, sharing space with walkers, joggers and leisurely cyclists."

That must surely tell TfL they need better provision for cyclists?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-20782950
ap·a·thy  (p-th)
n.
1. Lack of interest or concern, especially regarding matters of general importance or appeal; indifference.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: 500 cyclists a day.
« Reply #1 on: 19 December, 2012, 03:50:24 pm »
Not a pleasant place to cycle, for all the reasons given.  Also, I had an embarrassing paving slab incident there once.

But in rush hour it's probably faster than the obvious road route.  And a lot of people are more scared of motor vehicles than they are of inconsiderate cyclists, blind bends, wandering pedestrians, paving slabs, bollards, etc.  Hence the popularity.

500 *an hour* though.  That's pretty impressive.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 19 December, 2012, 03:52:02 pm »
I wouldn't use it to commute.  I might have done a couple of years ago, but it's a lot busier now.

Parallel road routes are not immediately apparent, though, I would agree.
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 19 December, 2012, 03:56:15 pm »
When I was living in Stratford, it was an appealing route to get to the King's Cross area, not least because it avoided the Bow Roundabout and the thousands of traffic lights on the A11.

spindrift

« Reply #4 on: 19 December, 2012, 03:59:13 pm »
Did the Regents from 1999-about 2003 when the speeding cyclists annoyed me too much. When I lived in E3 I could get to Camden in twenty minutes, then other cyclists discovered it and ruined it.

Flynn

• Fred Killah
« Reply #5 on: 19 December, 2012, 05:26:04 pm »

500 *an hour* though.  That's pretty impressive.

My mistake, thread title amended.
ap·a·thy  (p-th)
n.
1. Lack of interest or concern, especially regarding matters of general importance or appeal; indifference.

Re: 500 cyclists an hour.
« Reply #6 on: 21 December, 2012, 04:22:44 pm »
If those 500 an hour get off the canal (and left the walkers in peace) and got on the roads everyone would be safer. #reclaimthestreets