Author Topic: round the world bike race  (Read 14902 times)

Re: round the world bike race
« Reply #50 on: 05 June, 2012, 01:41:07 pm »
Can someone suggest, or does anyone know, how the winner ,riding unsupported, has managed to average (moving speed) 39.7 kph for 92 days?
Does that include flying time over oceans?
I can just about get my head round 200 miles a day for 92 days supported (forgetting the speed issue).
But unsupported! I'm struggling to fathom it out.
So 18 or so LEL's on the trot with no pre provisioned or planned feed,drink, sleep stations in a multitude of countries.Truly amazing.

« Reply #51 on: 05 June, 2012, 01:50:45 pm »
Can someone suggest, or does anyone know, how the winner ,riding unsupported, has managed to average (moving speed) 39.7 kph for 92 days?
Does that include flying time over oceans?

yes

and yes it is a remarkable achievement.  my personal ambitions for this record are well and truly quashed!

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #52 on: 05 June, 2012, 02:00:22 pm »
No, the 91 days 18 hours does not include flying time over oceans.  His trip started on Feb 18 so he's actually taken 108 days or thereabouts, including transfers.

Where did you get the 39kph figure from, was it from the trackleaders page?  I noticed that was rather high a while ago.  Let's say he did 320km every 24 hours.  320 / 39.7 = roughly 8 hours riding time per day.  He said that he got about 5 hours sleep each night, so I somewhat doubt that he was doing a regular 9 to 5 on the bike.  Therefore, I conclude that he wasn't riding quite that fast! 

« Reply #53 on: 05 June, 2012, 02:20:51 pm »
Mr Bunbury is right, 92 days does not include flights, sorry I was misleading above...  I meant that I think the 39km/h figure probably does include flights, given that his total distance including flights is around 42,000km which divided by 108 days gives around 39km/h

« Reply #54 on: 05 June, 2012, 02:29:53 pm »
I don't think he did it. He's been in hiding round the corner for 92 days, 'cause If this is what you look like after a feat like that, then well......

Unsupported? That really is amazing. Massive chapeau!

LBR: back to the dark side, eh?  ;)

Interesting exhanges there between yourself and GWR, Rich. Do they think your route is pan flat on beautiful glass-like tarmac or something?
Garry Broad

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #55 on: 05 June, 2012, 03:33:49 pm »
For a reality check on achievable average speeds: Wilko did 541miles in 24h.
that's about 22.5 mph

(his moving average was about 0.05% higher)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #56 on: 05 June, 2012, 03:41:57 pm »
LBR: back to the dark side, eh?  ;)
Interesting exhanges there between yourself and GWR, Rich. Do they think your route is pan flat on beautiful glass-like tarmac or something?

Yes mate, just been using the road bike for those little short rides (up to PBP & LEL).  Back to some style and comfort soon for the longer distance plans  :)

The argument with GWR is now over, since I cannot possibly compete with 92 days.  When GWR was 163 days I thought I might stand a chance, given a fair wind etc., I just had to average 200k/day to hit 145 days.  That's all out the window now!  I would like to see one our toughest fastest meanest from this parish have a bash, I wonder... who could that be?

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #57 on: 05 June, 2012, 05:49:56 pm »
Rich - are you still planning to ride anyhow, despite not going for the record?

How do they verify the rides anyhow?
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #58 on: 05 June, 2012, 09:06:11 pm »
Rich - are you still planning to ride anyhow, despite not going for the record?  How do they verify the rides anyhow?

Yes I'm still planning to go in 2014, and won't have to worry about proving anything to GWR, which is something of a relief as they have quite specific and onerous proof requirements, ie. even higher standards than some AUK organisers and their info controls!  eg. GPS evidence, signed log and witness books, photos, videos, copies of publicity, receipts, sight of passport, travel tickets, etc. etc.   They've sent me several pdf docs which detail all this, so anyone fancying their chances can PM me for copies before deciding to register an attempt.  I hope Mike had time in addition to his riding up to 18 hours/day to compile the evidence required...

« Reply #59 on: 05 June, 2012, 10:05:57 pm »
article in the Indy today

« Reply #60 on: 16 June, 2012, 05:31:28 pm »
from http://julianabuhring.com/
"On June 30, 2012, I will be setting out to make the first women’s world record for fastest circumnavigation by bicycle."

So when's Judith planning her attempt? on little or big wheels?

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #61 on: 18 June, 2012, 09:25:16 am »
Those of you who are paying attention will have noticed that Richard Dunnett is from Diss.  His parents were in charge of the important stuff (food) on the national 400 at the Thorndon control.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #62 on: 08 July, 2012, 08:14:04 pm »
It looks like Sean Conway will be finishing on Monday afternoon or evening 16 July, from @Conway_Sean HK is planning to be at the finish or possibly ride in with him.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #63 on: 08 July, 2012, 09:34:47 pm »
He'll be finishing third, as Richard Dunnett (yes, he of parental audax food fame) finished yesterday.  Well done to him!

« Reply #64 on: 09 July, 2012, 11:42:23 am »
Well done indeed. He's just a lad, must have been quite some adventure.

I've only tasted his mum's cakes once (Diss CC reliability ride), and having done that, if I was him, I wouldn't leave home, let alone ride round the world.

« Reply #65 on: 10 July, 2012, 11:13:07 pm »
Anyone planning on joining Sean Conway on Monday 11am from Brighton Pier up to London?
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

« Reply #66 on: 11 July, 2012, 07:06:08 am »
I will be there. This may well be the route back to Camden http://tinyurl.com/br9r5oq. It takes in Box Hill  :demon: just to add the Olympic flavour.
#makewattsnotwar

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #67 on: 04 November, 2012, 04:07:06 pm »
Like a true glutton for punishment, Sean Conway has now signed up for RAAM. "Going for team this time.  It's a record attempt.  Might do solo when I am a bit older and more experienced."  See his twitter feed for details.

« Reply #68 on: 05 November, 2012, 09:49:52 pm »
 http://julianabuhring.com/ seems to be going well, in India now and done over 20,000km, heading west to finish in Italy, should get her first woman world cycle record https://twitter.com/JulianaBuhring

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #69 on: 09 November, 2012, 12:01:21 pm »
Like a true glutton for punishment, Sean Conway has now signed up for RAAM. "Going for team this time.  It's a record attempt.  Might do solo when I am a bit older and more experienced."  See his twitter feed for details.

As well as RAAM, he is also aiming to swim from Land's End to John O'Groats:

http://swimmingbritain.co.uk/

Hopefully not biting off more than he can chew there - that's two extreme challenges requiring some different strengths in one year!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #70 on: 09 November, 2012, 03:59:46 pm »
Hopefully not biting off more than he can chew there - that's two extreme challenges requiring some different strengths in one year!

blimey that's about 17 miles/day to swim... still... flatter route than cycling!

« Reply #71 on: 09 November, 2012, 08:38:20 pm »
..not to mention a crack at RAAM 4 person mixed team record in June.
#makewattsnotwar

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #72 on: 10 November, 2012, 08:57:11 am »

blimey that's about 17 miles/day to swim... still... flatter route than cycling!

Huge distance, especially on open waters. Hell of a challenge.

His book has just been launched, must put it on the kindle and have a read. Fascinating chap.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #73 on: 13 March, 2013, 10:01:49 pm »
2014 RTW race announced today, with choice of three start lines: London, Singapore or Auckland... and even cheaper than audax -  no entry fee!

http://www.worldcyclerace.com/