Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 517834 times)

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #3150 on: 04 June, 2018, 12:30:52 pm »

Also, after having missed the Tesco in Saffron Walden by 3 minutes I went looking for water to fill bottles. At the petrol station I decided to top up from the Air and Water unit not realising it said Air and Screenwash  :facepalm: which would have left me about 300mls for the trip back to Manningtree which is not much for me. Luckily the Sewards end village hall just at the top of the Radwinter hill had a tap out the front and I was back in business.

I very cunningly found that the fountain in the square at Saffron Walden had a tap attached - the fact that it didn't actually work was something of a drawback to that plan however  :facepalm:

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #3151 on: 04 June, 2018, 01:09:45 pm »
  • Barton Mills in Daylight - Just

With that amount of speed, can we assume you're starting with the Vedettes on PBP next year?!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3152 on: 04 June, 2018, 01:15:22 pm »
Screenwash as a ride epo might have been interesting!
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #3153 on: 04 June, 2018, 03:30:22 pm »
  • Barton Mills in Daylight - Just

With that amount of speed, can we assume you're starting with the Vedettes on PBP next year?!
hmmm....not sure I could do it if there was pressure on making it.

As much as I enjoyed pushing a bit harder than I usually would and being able to get home before the dozies really had a chance to strike I think a bit of the appeal of an Audax was lost in the search of saved time at stops and on the road.

« Reply #3154 on: 04 June, 2018, 04:08:37 pm »
I still managed almost exactly 5 hours of stops and I rode most of it on my tod !

Stopping and eating are what makes it all worthwhile.

(I had shorted my dynohub wire so I was trying to minimise the riding time in the dark  and I was also hoping to hook back up with the Huggy peloton for the A1065 TT but they were enjoying themselves even more - according to Strava, I missed them at the Fox & Hounds by a matter of a couple of minutes, having waited there until just after 11pm)

« Reply #3155 on: 04 June, 2018, 04:42:57 pm »
 :thumbsup: Agreed.

Hereward is the next ride on my calendar. I think I'll go a bit closer to full value for that and see how many breakfasts that can lead to.

« Reply #3156 on: 04 June, 2018, 06:35:42 pm »
:thumbsup: Agreed.

Hereward is the next ride on my calendar. I think I'll go a bit closer to full value for that

What, a full 11 hours or something ?

« Reply #3157 on: 04 June, 2018, 08:29:34 pm »
11 Hours stopping time  :thumbsup:

« Reply #3158 on: 04 June, 2018, 09:11:15 pm »

9 hours of riding, impressive plan but at your current speed probably achievable.

« Reply #3159 on: 04 June, 2018, 09:46:51 pm »

9 hours of riding, impressive plan but at your current speed probably achievable.
Blood transfusions take some time apparently

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #3160 on: 04 June, 2018, 09:47:27 pm »
Talk about a dark horse ride by Ted...just rocks up for his 3rd event of this season, storms off the front from the Huggy Acme group and was never to be seen after Halesworth control.

I finished with Jem and Deano_44 on the last stage from Saffron Walden.  Huggy and Andrew P. gave in to an early breakfast stop at Sible Hedingham. Carlos wondered off for his usual 40 winks somewhere??

CCS - Setting the Standards

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #3161 on: 05 June, 2018, 09:14:47 am »
The A&S was great fun. I knew remembered that all of the hills were at the end but forgot how many of them there were! That said though, I still finished it this year feeling much better and stronger than last year. Stopping and eating properly at the controls definitely works for me!

Thanks for all the company, sorry for leaving everyone behind on the last stage but we just wanted to finish it  :).

Shame I am going to miss out on the ACME Grand definitely thinking about PBP next year though. 
ACME - Suffolk Branch

Jem

• ACME HR and Diversity officer
« Reply #3162 on: 05 June, 2018, 10:04:38 am »

Thanks for all the company, sorry for leaving everyone behind on the last stage but we just wanted to finish it  :).

This was my fault. There is a fine line between stopping for a break and revving yourself up to go again to just stopping never to go again and I was on the wrong side of that line by Sible Hedingham so vetoed a stop fearing a complete refusal to ever go again. The next miles till about 7 to go were utter purgatory for me and without the Straggler and Dean, I'd not have got in when I did. Oddly, I perked up and felt better again once we hit the big (well they were by that point) hills - mainly because I knew we were nearly there and as Dean said, just wanted to finish.

Once again the famous ACME B peloton brought everyone through.
I'm having serious doubts about the Grand though. Might be a bit too hilly and too far for me at the moment.

« Reply #3163 on: 05 June, 2018, 03:19:24 pm »
The ACME C Peloton (one member) is almost certainly out of the ACME Grand.

I would need two more months of training and the loss of another stone.  Neither will be possible in a little over three weeks  :-[

The Straggler may well have position A therefore - just behind the Lynx and his marvellous form and souplesse.

On the upside, it means I might finally be able to ride the Fairies 300 which is right at the top of my rides I keep meaning to do list.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3164 on: 05 June, 2018, 03:25:58 pm »
I did some Googling on behalf of you all, no need to thank me.  I think Tomsk has it too.

« Reply #3165 on: 05 June, 2018, 03:50:10 pm »
In my cycling dictionary there is just a picture of the Lynx beside Souplesse.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3166 on: 05 June, 2018, 03:55:07 pm »
In my cycling dictionary there is just a picture of the Lynx beside Souplesse.

I'm pleased I Googled as beforehand I thought souplesse was something to do with The Lynx's bum.

« Reply #3167 on: 05 June, 2018, 04:28:01 pm »
No, that's pictured as the definition of "exquisite" in the latest edition of the Oxford illustrated dictionary.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3168 on: 05 June, 2018, 04:34:14 pm »
No, that's pictured as the definition of "exquisite" in the latest edition of the Oxford illustrated dictionary.

I can feel The Lynx blushing from here.  One of our number is A Very Lucky Woman Indeed TM  :-* ;D

« Reply #3169 on: 21 June, 2018, 11:54:23 am »
Summer in the City

We were short of a few regulars for our Summer Solstice gathering at the ancient site of the Railway Tavern - Tomsk CBA after his guiding exploits, OD CBA, Hustler AWOL, Tippers retired, Psyclist cycling up some hills or playing beach volleyball, Bobb stalking a German bloke along the Cote d'Azur.  That didn't stop us having a marvellous evening though.

I arrived at the RT to find Royston Figgis, Miss Joselyn the bearded lady, Oaky, Hotblack, NSFW, Preserved Swanwick, Le Duc d'Huez, Jem and the Lynx sitting outside in the continental terrace area enjoying the balmy weather.

With the Hustler up North, it fell to Le Duc to act as BB for the evening. We sampled Millennium Fox by Red Fox, Darwin's Origin by Salopian and Sir Roger's Porter by Earl Soham.  The Quaffer committee was one short with no Hustler and we just couldn't think of anyone else present who knew anything about ale so Oaky and I voted Sir Roger as the Quaffers' Choice.

The conversation ranged from how to keep real ales through to Preserved's forthcoming odyssey around the mighty Blackwater River but very little audaxy stuff.  That is, apart from the Lynx's meticulously planned assault on the ACME Grand next week - rock up with a tiny saddlebag, his lunchbox, a waterproof top and a routesheet and saunter round.  We also had the chance to compare the old and new ACME ss tops as Preserved was wearing both - it being midsummer and 20 degrees he was only wearing the 4 layers yesterday evening (still 2 fewer than Bobb in 32 degrees though).

Best of all, it was sandals weather and Hotblack and I took full advantage.  I did sneak on some socks on the way home as it was a bit breezy by then, particularly after I got off the train.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3170 on: 25 June, 2018, 08:05:55 am »
Good to see some of the peloton yesterday at the Chelmer hut. I seem to have been off the front all day, sometimes with the Colchester Rovers, until they dropped me on the climb out of Newmarket...

« Reply #3171 on: 29 June, 2018, 06:23:06 am »
Jiber's takes a good photo but sometimes the subjects are a bit questionable!  ::-)
Channelling my inner OD  ;D.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3172 on: 29 June, 2018, 07:18:39 am »
Ha!  Not riding the Grand then?

« Reply #3173 on: 29 June, 2018, 07:22:30 am »
Jiber's takes a good photo but sometimes the subjects are a bit questionable!  ::-)
Channelling my inner OD  ;D.

Good grief, Del.
Still young, handsome and colour co-ordinated, after all these years  ;D
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #3174 on: 29 June, 2018, 07:29:45 am »
Ha!  Not riding the Grand then?
No, still on the Galaxy!  :P

Although it feels like I rode a 1000k. :'(