Author Topic: Sverigetempot 2020  (Read 2232 times)

Sverigetempot 2020
« on: 30 September, 2019, 03:31:54 pm »
2100km randonnee in Sweden next year. https://sverigetempot.wordpress.com/length-of-sweden-sverigetempot_en/

Anyone done it? Or thinking about doing it?

It's on my list, getting bike up to the start seems a bit of a faff on Swedish trains, but doable. Seems like it's daylight for a lot of it, and night-time temps aren't too bad if you end up bivvying.

Worry about roads being closed for engineering and having to do big km off road though, as this sounds like it's happened in previous years.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Sverigetempot 2020
« Reply #1 on: 30 September, 2019, 03:45:16 pm »
2100km randonnee in Sweden next year. https://sverigetempot.wordpress.com/length-of-sweden-sverigetempot_en/

It's on my list, getting bike up to the start seems a bit of a faff on Swedish trains, but doable. Seems like it's daylight for a lot of it, and night-time temps aren't too bad if you end up bivvying.

Worry about roads being closed for engineering and having to do big km off road though, as this sounds like it's happened in previous years.

On my road to Hell I learnt the hard way what what the sign for "road closed ahead" is in Norwegian...

They were confused by a British Cyclist trying to get through their construction site...

They don't expect cyclists at all, so the only diversions tend to be rather long :(

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2 on: 30 September, 2019, 03:52:49 pm »

Another one to tempt me for next year...

« Reply #3 on: 30 September, 2019, 04:34:47 pm »

On my road to Hell I learnt the hard way what what the sign for "road closed ahead" is in Norwegian...

They were confused by a British Cyclist trying to get through their construction site...

They don't expect cyclists at all, so the only diversions tend to be rather long :(

J

WHOA there. Yeah I've read horror stories of 100km diversions off road, and the like...

Phil W

« Reply #4 on: 30 September, 2019, 05:02:38 pm »
Fly to Narvik on Norwegian side. Then it's 85km to the start. As low as £110 from Gatwick direct depending on date.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #5 on: 30 September, 2019, 08:01:57 pm »
Fly to Narvik on Norwegian side. Then it's 85km to the start. As low as £110 from Gatwick direct depending on date.

I dinnae fly...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 30 September, 2019, 08:05:26 pm »

I dinnae fly...

Box your bike, and there is a train from Stockholm to Narvik, Stockholm you can get to from Copenhagen. Eurostar and ICE services will get you from the UK to Copenhagen...

J
--

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #7 on: 30 September, 2019, 08:37:41 pm »

I dinnae fly...

Box your bike, and there is a train from Stockholm to Narvik, Stockholm you can get to from Copenhagen. Eurostar and ICE services will get you from the UK to Copenhagen...

J

true but that's a bit too simple for me, I'd do something stupid like try to blag my way on a work boat going to Bergen from Abderdeen then Hurtirguiten it up to Narvik; and when that inevitably fails yes that route... although I did the Vogelflugline route on the way to Stockholm a couple of summers ago (Without the bike) and the Padborg/Flensburg route back.

« Reply #8 on: 04 October, 2019, 09:21:07 am »
true but that's a bit too simple for me, I'd do something stupid like try to blag my way on a work boat going to Bergen from Abderdeen then Hurtirguiten it up to Narvik; and when that inevitably fails yes that route... although I did the Vogelflugline route on the way to Stockholm a couple of summers ago (Without the bike) and the Padborg/Flensburg route back.

I'm looking at that too. Ride to Aberdeen of course, then back through Denmark, Germany, Holland, ferry then home.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #9 on: 04 October, 2019, 09:48:05 am »
Work boat might require the life boat drop training as they seem to all have that rather davits these days, and they tend to hang around oil installations for weeks on end.

The other more likely possibility is getting a cruise ship from Leith, Newcastle or Dundee, the only problem is they tend to expect you to return after the"day" on land.
There probably is a doable option though...

« Reply #10 on: 04 October, 2019, 10:04:10 am »
Work boat might require the life boat drop training as they seem to all have that rather davits these days, and they tend to hang around oil installations for weeks on end.

The other more likely possibility is getting a cruise ship from Leith, Newcastle or Dundee, the only problem is they tend to expect you to return after the"day" on land.
There probably is a doable option though...

It's still odd that there are no ferries between Scotland and Norway, given the historical connection between the two countries. It wasn't that long ago that you could at least get from Newcastle (at least close to Scotland) to Bergen by boat.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #11 on: 04 October, 2019, 11:31:22 am »
It's still odd that there are no ferries between Scotland and Norway, given the historical connection between the two countries. It wasn't that long ago that you could at least get from Newcastle (at least close to Scotland) to Bergen by boat.

Cost of fuel went up.

J
--

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #12 on: 09 October, 2019, 01:20:10 pm »

Cost of fuel went up.

J

Not just that, there's also the cost of retrofitting emissions control on older ferries in international service; in many cases they had to be replaced completely.
The cost of doing that for a marginal service is prohibitive.

Scotlands links to Norway don't amount to much; even the Shetlanders don't have a pressing need such that Smyril line reduced their Denmark-Norway-Shetland-Faroes-Iceland service to just Denmark-Faroe-Iceland; the berthing costs at Bergen and Lerwick were more than the extra traffic; they tried Scrabster for a bit too but no different.

Unfortunately if you're going to Norway it's just too easy and cheap to hop on a plane at Aberdeen and be there in an hour rather than a potentially uncomfortable 12 hours; and if you're doing that you're likely either going on holiday or working for one of the oil companies that operate in both sectors.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #13 on: 09 October, 2019, 02:05:40 pm »
It's a shame, I got the overnight ferry to Norway from Newcastle with my family years ago, we had a great time. Obviously ferry emissions should be controlled but if that comes at the expense of making everyone jump on jumbo jets instead...
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.