Author Topic: AUK web site historical records  (Read 2892 times)

AUK web site historical records
« on: 04 October, 2019, 10:01:45 am »
Not at  all sure that  'Hall of  fame ' was an appropriate title but it used to be  fairly easy to find out the highest  ever .. Bike, Tandem, Trike Fixed Wheel etc.. records.

I will admit to personal interest having  upped the annual upright trike record from 105 to 172 points, but either I'm looking  in the wrong place  or history is now an unimportant part of the new spangly AUK.

I think it  is  rather - Don't  get  all excited  about  your achivements until you see, and respect past  ones.

rob

Re: AUK web site historical records
« Reply #1 on: 04 October, 2019, 10:36:36 am »
You can still find the ultra randonneur list if you go through a search engine put it points at the old site.

I agree it's disappointing that some of the history has been ignored in favour of attracting newer riders.   I've put over 25 years work into my totals.

« Reply #2 on: 04 October, 2019, 10:54:39 am »
These sort of records used to be included in the handbook. I liked that little publication. The old site had some of its characteristics, but it's inevitable that the distinctions inherent in the split between Arrivee and the handbook might not survive into our modern era.

There's an echo in the results handbook from the Mersey Roads 24, and in the PBP Placquette. If it's not hard copy, then it's ephemeral.

Martin

« Reply #3 on: 04 October, 2019, 10:55:18 am »
Is this what you are looking for? it took some digging but it's there, another tab takes you to special needs etc :)

https://www.audax.uk/results/annual-awards/individual/

IIRC the Hall of Fame in the Handbook only ever contained a few names. you didn't get on it by winning an annual trophy.

rob

« Reply #4 on: 04 October, 2019, 11:19:49 am »
You can still find the ultra randonneur list if you go through a search engine put it points at the old site.

I agree it's disappointing that some of the history has been ignored in favour of attracting newer riders.   I've put over 25 years work into my totals.

Found it now.   It's a little tucked away but still points back to the old site/format.

« Reply #5 on: 04 October, 2019, 11:29:41 am »
There was a brief moment when information that had previously been confined to obscure club publications seemed to be available to the world. But the world wasn't really that interested, and the amount of noise increases exponentially. The pity is that the handbook no longer exists, but the world moves on.

rob

« Reply #6 on: 04 October, 2019, 11:41:00 am »
There was a brief moment when information that had previously been confined to obscure club publications seemed to be available to the world. But the world wasn't really that interested, and the amount of noise increases exponentially. The pity is that the handbook no longer exists, but the world moves on.

I have broken a few non important local TT records in the last couple of years based on info on the associations website, only to find out that the info is out of date and that my rides don't get added.   Still, at least I know what I've done.

« Reply #7 on: 04 October, 2019, 12:00:32 pm »
There's a space between inspiration, aspiration and validation that achieving a record fills.
Audax is an interesting case study, in that everyone is equal, but some are more equal than others. So the intersection of those points is sometimes in dispute.
My heroes have been known to do a bit of Audax, but their achievements lie elsewhere. They might make the MSM.

rob

« Reply #8 on: 04 October, 2019, 12:34:02 pm »
I thought I was in with a shout at the Dave Lewis trophy this year, but it turns out 2 of the full time testers above me were also AUK members.  Neither had ridden an audax this year, whereas I have done an SR series and PBP.

I toyed with suggesting a rule change but figured it would just be sour grapes.

« Reply #9 on: 04 October, 2019, 12:42:07 pm »
The 24 is a bit of a weird one. You can't get more than 7 points, but there's a trophy for a distance over the maximum Audax pace. I can see both sides of that argument, but Audax participation has secured the continued running of what is a monument in long-distance riding.

rob

« Reply #10 on: 04 October, 2019, 01:00:55 pm »
The 24 is a bit of a weird one. You can't get more than 7 points, but there's a trophy for a distance over the maximum Audax pace. I can see both sides of that argument, but Audax participation has secured the continued running of what is a monument in long-distance riding.

Yes and the trophy is to commemorate an individual who actively encouraged more AUKs to take part in the 24.   I'm probably exactly the sort of individual who this was aimed at, going from many years of audaxing to eventually recording a decent mileage.   What it looks like, though, is that the trophy is going to someone that is only really an AUK by virtue of a convenient membership.

BTW, I know both of these individuals personally, they are much better bike riders than me, and I have nothing against them.

I can't see myself riding again but intend to volunteer next year if I can spare the time.

« Reply #11 on: 04 October, 2019, 02:09:56 pm »
Here’s the special needs one:

https://www.audax.uk/results/annual-awards/velo-speciale/

I picked the wrong year to concentrate on riding the trike. The Fliss Beard trophy is soooo achievable most years....

Damn you Hedley!! *shakes fist in air*

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12 on: 04 October, 2019, 02:32:32 pm »
Here’s the special needs one:

I picked the wrong year to concentrate on riding the trike. The Fliss Beard trophy is soooo achievable most years....

Damn you Hedley!! *shakes fist in air*

According to Jim Hopper, in the early days the trophies were a bit of an in-joke and were handed out on the basis of whoever 'deserved' them, rather than who collected the most points. Who actually rode the most wasn't that big a deal compared to how or what they rode. Most of those trophies were recycled from things awarded to AUK at PBP.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Martin

« Reply #13 on: 04 October, 2019, 10:19:36 pm »
I'm well aware of Jim Hopper's disdain for the trophies, but for the riders who have ridden bloody hard to win them they are certainly not a joke. He is entitled to his view but is one member of an organisation of many. And the old recycled trophies are all now retired, AUK has rightly decided to award new ones each year.

and indeed AUK would not run a reunion separate from the AGM for the main purpose of awarding them if they were not taken seriously and deserved.

FWIW I was at the awards a few years ago and my understanding is that the MC was asked to make it "tongue in cheek" the person rightly refused to do so.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14 on: 05 October, 2019, 12:46:00 am »
Martin, it isn't just Jim's opinion of the championships and their trophies. Several recent winners have similar views.

I was explaining why many early championship results did not record the rider's points. The actual origins of the various trophies is part of AUK's history, regardless of how recent AUK champions may view them.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #15 on: 05 October, 2019, 01:00:47 pm »
Simon Doughty drew a cartoon lampooning the trophies before he suffered a catastrophic brain injury a LONG while back...

« Reply #16 on: 05 October, 2019, 03:23:13 pm »
Martin, it isn't just Jim's opinion of the championships and their trophies. Several recent winners have similar views.

I was explaining why many early championship results did not record the rider's points. The actual origins of the various trophies is part of AUK's history, regardless of how recent AUK champions may view them.

I was glad of this little bit of background as it does explain the gaps. 2011 is a case in point. This was a PBP year, and I believe Jim rode, so he should be there with at least 27 points...

Martin

« Reply #17 on: 08 October, 2019, 04:47:15 pm »
So Jim got at least 27 points in 2011, and?

does he get a special mention in the awards for that? completing PBP 8 times yes but why in the overall distance points?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #18 on: 08 October, 2019, 04:58:47 pm »
Dunno offhand but you could ask him. Jim is still around.

Martin

« Reply #19 on: 08 October, 2019, 05:43:45 pm »

I was replying to JohnL as I couldn't understand what award he was expecting to see for Jim in 2011

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #20 on: 08 October, 2019, 06:53:11 pm »
I'd assume Trike
But there was no claim on the Fliss Beard trophy in 2011 according to the new website... not that I found that through the new website's menu system

And in the process of Binging I found this:
http://audax.dotadmin.com/trophies

« Reply #21 on: 08 October, 2019, 07:08:05 pm »

I was replying to JohnL as I couldn't understand what award he was expecting to see for Jim in 2011

Yeah the 2011 Fliss Beard trophy. There was no claim that year, but we can infer that Jim got at least 27 points on a trike and so could have claimed it. It demonstrates that (at least) Jim wasn’t bothered about claiming the trophy.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #22 on: 08 October, 2019, 08:49:54 pm »
I'd assume Trike
But there was no claim on the Fliss Beard trophy in 2011 according to the new website... not that I found that through the new website's menu system

And in the process of Binging I found this:
http://audax.dotadmin.com/trophies

I KNEW someone would find this SD classic...

Martin

« Reply #23 on: 09 October, 2019, 05:29:44 pm »

Yeah the 2011 Fliss Beard trophy. There was no claim that year, but we can infer that Jim got at least 27 points on a trike and so could have claimed it. It demonstrates that (at least) Jim wasn’t bothered about claiming the trophy.

dohhh  :-[ makes sense now it was the Trike distance trophy!