Author Topic: Tour de France 2019  (Read 21381 times)

Re: Tour de France 2019
« Reply #25 on: 13 June, 2019, 01:36:30 pm »
Well it simplifies the job for the the Team SkyIneos DS this year. No need to work out who the team will be riding for.
Thomas or Bernal?

Looking at results so far this year, it's tempting to say Bernal is the "plan B" rather than Thomas, but I reckon it'll probably come down to whoever's best-placed after the first week/day in the mountains.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #27 on: 16 June, 2019, 11:32:11 am »
The reason I asked was becaus I (correctly or not) kind of have this idea that a femur fracture is right up there in the "oh f@$k, that's serious" bracket, vs a broken wrist, collar bone, shoulder blade, ankle etc.

Broken pelvis would also go in that category as would spinal injuries.  I know you can have some very nasty ankle  fractures as well - i've seen a few of them - but I'm just generalising here. Also thinking how long it has really taken me to recover from a relatively small fracture in my own pelvis.

Depends on what in the pelvis is actually fractured.  I had an xray for a (fortunately only bruised) hip, and the A&E consultant pointed out where G.'s fracture was and why he was able to carry on riding with it, whereas had it happened somewhere else he would have been out for months.

Agree.  Pelvis fracture can be life threatening crushing injury as in a car accident or a more simple break. I had a pelvic fracture last year and rode TCR one month later.
often lost.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #28 on: 18 June, 2019, 04:12:56 pm »
Geraint Thomas has crashed out of the Tour de Suisse

Investigators report multiple searches from Bernal's computer for dictionary sites listing 'Schadenfreude'

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #29 on: 18 June, 2019, 04:20:21 pm »

So aside from Team Sky^WIneos, who appear to be having to make substitutions on a daily basis.

Have other teams confirmed their rider line up yet? Do we know which of the Yates is riding?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #30 on: 18 June, 2019, 04:46:56 pm »
The "Dan Brown meets Numberwang!" conspiracy theorists on Tw@tter will be having a field day.

Though from what I've seen, it doesn't look like anything's broken, so Thomas ought to start the TdF, but he'll be under-raced:

https://twitter.com/cyclingreporter/status/1140991591387205633?s=09

The Inner Ring just tweeted (from Dutch media) that as Dumoulin was supposed to depart for high altitude camp, said he "am I ready for this?", stopped and turned around:

https://twitter.com/inrng/status/1140960819154497536

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #31 on: 02 July, 2019, 10:50:35 am »
Cav hasn't been selected. That's his TdF career over then.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #32 on: 02 July, 2019, 02:52:31 pm »
Both Yates brothers are riding, I believe.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #33 on: 02 July, 2019, 08:10:30 pm »
Both Yates brothers are riding, I believe.
How can one tell??
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #34 on: 05 July, 2019, 05:53:05 pm »
Never mind all the cycling, I'm excited hoping for moar fun from Pandemic Productions....
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #35 on: 06 July, 2019, 12:05:55 am »
Never mind all the cycling, I'm excited hoping for moar fun from Pandemic Productions....

Ph3@r n0t, Mrs P...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #36 on: 06 July, 2019, 07:38:03 am »

Ph3@r n0t, Mrs P...
Good idea. (Life is confusing enough ... )  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

madamemugwump

« Reply #37 on: 06 July, 2019, 08:15:49 am »
The tour has more interest for me this year than for maybe 5 years now.

« Reply #38 on: 06 July, 2019, 06:33:32 pm »
Today's stage was dull as racing, but interesting as history, both in terms of the Tour and of Europe. Ned Boulting at one point referred to Simon Winder's latest in his trilogy.
In Germania, he explores the idea of German-ness that culminated in the deadly fantasies of the Nazis. Danubia examines how the dysfunctional Habsburg family could hold together a sprawling empire of competing national groupings for almost half a millennium. And Lotharingia tells the story of that part of Europe – what is now the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Lorraine in northern France and most of northern Germany west of the Rhine – that has been labelled the “cockpit”, so central has it been to Franco-German rivalry and the course of the continent’s history.
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/mar/21/lotharingia-by-simon-winder-review

It's nice to see that Ned has been doing some background reading, and I look forward to further insights. Perhaps ITV4 could publish a reading list.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #39 on: 06 July, 2019, 06:42:35 pm »
I saw Ned's "stand up" tour last year, he is clearly well read both in English and French literature and history. Since he and the tour does go into many a nook and cranny in France, he really gets to see the country's history from both sides (gov.fr vs local.fr) 
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #40 on: 06 July, 2019, 10:38:35 pm »
I do wonder if I now know as much as I want to about France. From 2007 I started going to the Semaine Federale, so I've been to all the French areas of Lotharingia. I've seen the battlefields at Verdun, the Ducal place in Dijon, and the disputed parts of Lorraine.

The best introduction I read to France was 'The Discovery of France' by Graham Robb, which introduced me to the 'Tour de France' made by tradesmen, the 'Compagnons du Devoir et du Tour de France'.

The incremental bits of knowledge I pick up aren't as satisfying, and even the French riders can give a convincing interview in English. So I might seek out Simon Winder's book, it might help sustain my interest. A reading list might actually be a good idea. I could even try to read some French.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #41 on: 06 July, 2019, 11:53:28 pm »
I saw Ned's "stand up" tour last year, he is clearly well read both in English and French literature and history. Since he and the tour does go into many a nook and cranny in France, he really gets to see the country's history from both sides (gov.fr vs local.fr)

TV's *** Boulting read Modern Languages at Cambridge, so no great surprise.  He claimed today that this is his 17th Tour too.

« Reply #42 on: 07 July, 2019, 01:31:04 am »

TV's *** Boulting read Modern Languages at Cambridge, so no great surprise.  He claimed today that this is his 17th Tour too.

Ned was an admirer of the late Sid Waddell, whose choices led him away from academia towards darts commentary. Who can forget "When Alexander of Macedonia was 33, he cried salt tears because there were no more worlds to conquer. Bristow's only 27"?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #43 on: 11 July, 2019, 03:12:45 pm »

Anyone else finding it hard to tell sunweb and Team Sky^WIneos^WPlastic Hypocracy apart in the aerial shots?

Also, anyone else think it would be a good idea if riders could have their numbers visible on their helmets or sides? Most of the shots of the riders are from the front, and without a number, I find it really hard to tell 100 white men apart... Oh, and the Yates' make it even harder...

J
--

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #44 on: 11 July, 2019, 03:42:55 pm »
You can tell the Ineoseri because the dandruff on their shoulders shows up more clearly.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #45 on: 11 July, 2019, 03:47:22 pm »
I see that stage 21 starts from Rambouillet, as does Paris Brest Paris, three weeks later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGkgVVOt4Uc

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #46 on: 11 July, 2019, 05:04:38 pm »

At the end of each stage, a group of men in branded t-shirts surround the winner, last year they had a water bottle company branding, this year it's Continental branding. What are they there for?

I watched with amusement as they tried to chase today's winner down the hill again, as they all cross the line, turn round, and head down the way they came.

That was a fun finish to watch.

J
--

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #47 on: 11 July, 2019, 05:18:54 pm »
T Ineo$ do at least have the riders' names written on the sides of their jumpers but by the time the camera is close enough for it to be legible you can see who it is anyway.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #48 on: 11 July, 2019, 09:03:31 pm »
T Ineo$ do at least have the riders' names written on the sides of their jumpers ...
Writen!  But any fule kno skool rools sa that namtpaes musst be embroydr embroidere sticched. Before they are stitchedd onto puloverrs.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #49 on: 12 July, 2019, 08:41:28 am »

At the end of each stage, a group of men in branded t-shirts surround the winner, last year they had a water bottle company branding, this year it's Continental branding. What are they there for?

I watched with amusement as they tried to chase today's winner down the hill again, as they all cross the line, turn round, and head down the way they came.

That was a fun finish to watch.

J

I noticed that they were very careful to push the saddles instead of the blokes' arses.  That was funny.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight