Author Topic: French cycling subsidy  (Read 2071 times)

French cycling subsidy
« on: 30 April, 2020, 01:38:58 pm »
Good news, on the back of all the bad.

Under the €20 million (£17m; $21.7m) scheme, everyone will be eligible for bike repairs of up to €50 at registered mechanics.
Rust never sleeps

Re: French cycling subsidy
« Reply #1 on: 02 May, 2020, 09:34:29 pm »

Under the €20 million (£17m; $21.7m) scheme, everyone will be eligible for bike repairs of up to €50 at registered mechanics.

First I've heard of it! They are keeping very quiet about it on national news so it is probably a sop to the FUB members ahead of "Municipales round 2" after LREM got a bit washed out in round 1. Also typical of the Macron régime, they forget completely about France outside the cities and almost completely about France outside Paris (a mistake he has not learnt to correct after the emergence of the gilets jaunes).
Policing it will be interesting; how many bike shops can you visit before someone gets wise? Most likely reasoning will be also to push the bike marking schemes.

A better way of achieving something would have been to put an allowance on the revenue declarations with invoices/till receipts for justification. That of course goes against the plan of automatic, dematerialised revenue declarations and might require staff to check paperwork (which would mean, shock horror, that plans to reduce civil service staffing might be hit - Oh damn, we can't do without real people after all!)

A lot less than 60% of my car journeys are less than 5km and those that are involve carting stuff for work - otherwise walk or bike. The vast majority are much longer. But then I'm not a parisien!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2 on: 03 May, 2020, 01:30:31 pm »

Yeah, I could do with 3/4 of a new cassette.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3 on: 12 July, 2020, 12:26:05 pm »
A little update on this scheme. The way it seems to work (according to my local LBS is that a bike is brought into the shop, the shop does a quote for putting it in order (totally, there is little leeway for halfway measures), the quote is accepted and a whole load of paperwork (name and address justification, bank numbers etc) is prepared and sent off for a an acceptation by the administration (I think it's the prefecture but not sure about that; if it's the region then the wait could be considerable) which takes several weeks. The LBS (Jeremy's mum who mans the till) said that most people prefer to skip the formalities and just get the bike fixed. It would appear to be a measure that is destined for non-cyclists getting unused bikes out of sheds and getting back into cycling. I would think that there are better ways to achieve this (although administrative paperwork is a strong point of the french fonction public!)

While on Macron's ideas to encourage cycling I took my daughter's two bikes (hers and her partners) in for anti-theft marking (since I was taking them up to IdF where such things could be important). Cost 27€ apiece. I don't reget it in this case but that's getting pricy for my little fleet (rather more than the resale value for any one of them).