Author Topic: !!! This post is important!  (Read 1127 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
!!! This post is important!
« on: 26 June, 2010, 10:03:09 am »
Items where the sender highlights the importance of their missive. As an example - priority emails that the sender has rated '!!!' - do you pay more attention or less?

I tend to pay less attention - I'll decide what's important to me, thanks. Maybe it goes back to Readers Digest Draw envelopes, or those silly chain-mails that say all your hair will fall out if you don't pass them on.
It is simpler than it looks.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: !!! This post is important!
« Reply #1 on: 26 June, 2010, 10:09:16 am »
URGENT! Was one of the words on the killfile on my old email system...

Only ever caught spam.

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #2 on: 26 June, 2010, 10:15:53 am »
When you have people that send every message using the ! high importance indicator in Outlook, it defeats the purpose of having it.

I tend to decide for myself.

« Reply #3 on: 26 June, 2010, 10:19:01 am »
I've got data from an unpublished prospective memory (PM) study (got an abstract at a conference, but never wrote it up). We used caps and exclaimation symbols, both of which work in the lab to make cues more salient, and put them in email subject lines in a study where we were attempting to test different email header cues to get participants to respond. Whereas they work in lexical decision tasks in the lab, in email headers, the plain text was non-significantly more effective at cueing response.

According the PM theory, despite getting participants to form the intention to reply (with a reward) the association between those cues and replying is reduced becuase of their assocaition with a different response, namely deleting of spam. However, we'd need to do another study to test that ('cos it's not what we naively hypothesised), and me and the mate I did the study with (in the final few months of our PhDs 'cos we were sick of writing up) have moved on to more interesting things (using the half-life2 engine to model multitasking and PM).

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4 on: 26 June, 2010, 12:13:59 pm »
The trick to making people pay attention to your emails is to use a clear and meaningful subject line.

Urgent schmurgent.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #5 on: 26 June, 2010, 12:23:50 pm »
Soon as I see that exploding envelope I decide to sit on it for a few days. One of my colleagues likes to write IMPORTANT! at the start of his subject lines, those ones get deleted (if is important I know I'll hear about it soon enough)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6 on: 26 June, 2010, 12:28:04 pm »
As soon as I saw those exclamation marks I decided not to open this thread.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 26 June, 2010, 12:34:14 pm »
No it is not.
Ever.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8 on: 26 June, 2010, 12:40:04 pm »
As soon as I saw those exclamation marks I decided not to open this thread.

Me too.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles