Author Topic: Battle Mountain 2019  (Read 14143 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Battle Mountain 2019
« Reply #50 on: 02 September, 2019, 04:18:55 am »
Even the local TV weather forecast noted that it was Hot.  43 degrees at 8 pm.  I am now in Cortez CO, where it is lukewarm (about 24 degrees at 8 pm).
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #51 on: 02 September, 2019, 01:33:38 pm »
43 degrees is approaching limits of long-term human habitation.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #52 on: 02 September, 2019, 07:25:44 pm »
I see that the Liverpooligans are on their way.  Steven Bode is permanently cheery but he looked bloody knackered in their group photo!
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #53 on: 03 September, 2019, 02:58:29 am »
Just seen that pic, because the internets in Cortez died last night and did not come back this morning either.  I dare say Steve will be his usual bouncy self at least until midday Sunday :demon:

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #54 on: 04 September, 2019, 04:04:07 am »
Stop press!  IUT Annecy announce that Illona Peletier will also be riding for them; she is wot we oiks sometimes call "a gurl".  As well as being a Gaul aha ha ha ha ha ;D

« Reply #55 on: 05 September, 2019, 07:05:06 pm »
Stop press!  IUT Annecy announce that Illona Peletier will also be riding for them; she is wot we oiks sometimes call "a gurl".  As well as being a Gaul aha ha ha ha ha ;D

So if there was an Asterix cycling book would Illona be Recumbentrix?
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #56 on: 05 September, 2019, 07:29:30 pm »

So if there was an Asterix cycling book would Illona be Recumbentrix?

As in "recumbent tricks"?

I now have mental cinema of Danny MacAskill trying to bunny-hop a Kettwiesel. It isn't at all pretty. ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #57 on: 07 September, 2019, 12:27:20 am »
I have arrived!  So far only spotted the Wahoo, surrounded by an entire tribe of Lems, and the Toronto tandem, which they were just loading back into the van to go and test somewhere when I arrived.  Plus some big packing crates courtesy of HPT Delft-Amsterdam, taking up one of the disabled parking spaces, the degenerates.  Probably other teams at other motels but ICBA to go and look.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #58 on: 08 September, 2019, 06:30:26 am »
Latest from the front line: almost everyone is here except Mike Mowett and the Amminger tribe.  Liverpool are only fielding two riders, viz. Ken and Yasmin.  The Japanese entry failed tech inspection because they did not have redundant video systems, but have cut a small hole in the shell and installed one of Hans van Vugt's spare windscreens.  Almost full complement of riders and machines expected in qualifying tomorrow am with Andrew Sourk needing time out for minor repairs and recovery from the 36 hour drive from Michigan and Guillaume (Annecy) and Noah (London South Bank) choosing not to ride because Reasons.

That's if we run at all.  At the moment (22:30 local time) it's chucking down and doing the old thunder and lightning business >:(

« Reply #59 on: 08 September, 2019, 11:01:41 am »

The Japanese entry failed tech inspection because they did not have redundant video systems, but have cut a small hole in the shell and installed one of Hans van Vugt's spare windscreens. 
This sounds like a real f up.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #60 on: 08 September, 2019, 11:57:46 am »
Fancy insisting that people who are attempting to go 60+ mph actually have systems in place to,see,where they are going  ;D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #61 on: 08 September, 2019, 09:55:35 pm »
Rain stopped by this morning and unseasonably warm at 11 C.  A duff wire on the timing gear delayed the start of proceedings by 20-30 minutes but we managed almost to catch up by the 10:00 Department of Transportation deadline.  A few glitches from riders and machines too: Adam Hari (N-1) and Kazuhiro Takei (Haruka 2019) having start issues sufficient to prevent them from doing a run while Yasmin Tredell & Ken Buckley both had to pull up ARION5 mid-course with a derailed chain.  Toronto disgraced themselves by not appearing at all though they claimed to have tried to phone and tell us.  Jennifer Breet only just got caught at the finish thanks to ace sprinter/catcher Barclay Henry; Ilona Peletier decked Altair 6 approaching catch and seemed pretty shaken up, though the damage is mostly superficial. 

Andrea Gallo in Taurus was almost certainly the fastest, but timing had a hiccup  and said 72mph while Andrea's GPS reckoned ~111 km/h.  Best of the rest was Rosa Bas in VeloX 9 at 64.97 mph.  The Sprocket Rocket team seemed slightly disappointed with their 52.13 mph pass, but captain Chris DeMarchi complained of too much inter-rider chat and not enough coordinated pedalling ;D

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #62 on: 09 September, 2019, 04:40:46 am »
The Sunday evening forecast was for Mighty Rushing Winds, limiting the number of starters to eight, over twelve slots.  Eight became six when Annecy scratched, having not fixed the Ilona-inflicted damage in time.  Six then became five, when Denise's backup video screen blanked itself.  Leaving Rosa as the sole rider in heat one with Andrea, Jennifer, Ellen and Vittoria in the second.  All five had legal wind speeds ;D  Andrea was the first rider this year over 80 mph with 80.80, Rosa a 71, Ellen 68 and 64 for Jennifer and Vittoria, though the latter decked Taurus-X after overrunning the catch crew.  Barclay nearly caught her...

Early night tonight because Huge Lunch.

ETA: Photos in the "BM 2019" albums under https://www.flickr.com/photos/mr_larrington/albums

« Reply #63 on: 09 September, 2019, 10:04:59 pm »
Checking back-issues, we discussed cheese soup-dragon in the build-up. Any news or have I been looking and not seeing?

Was hoping "Serious Welly" would have generated a report or 2 by now?
Cruzbike V2k, S40

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #64 on: 09 September, 2019, 10:29:32 pm »
Mr L has some photos from today's event and AIM93 is present and correct.  The Soup Dragon 2.0 is in a fetching shade of not-green.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #65 on: 09 September, 2019, 10:31:31 pm »
Soup Dragon v2.0 is called "Velociraptor", which is the third machine to bear that name here, and also naff.  The only part carried over from the Soup Dragon is the final drive sprocket.  Russell Bridge decked it about three miles into his first run on the full course this morning; he's OK and the damage to the bike is cosmetic.

But I get ahead of myself.  Tokyo yet again failed to launch.  Russell fell at launch, was righted and continued only to crash.  One of the Delft/Amsterdam riders also fell at the start but got away OK at the second attempt, as did Adam Hari, though he crashed halfway down the course as well.  Jennifer Breet in VeloX 9 was oulled up about a mile from the traps as she was running very slowly, we think with transmission issues, but both Liverpool riders qualified successfully.  Yasmin's 47.34 is likely a British women's multitrack record as we think it's a whisker faster than Karen Darke went last year.  Fun and games at catch as Denise Koronek and Ilona Peletier arrived side by side, but both were halted without incident.  Andrea again fastest with 75.47, with Rosa Bas also over 70 in Velox 9.  Temperatures this am back to normal morning levels, wind benign at the beginning and end of the session but picked up in the middle.  And we think "Wild Bill" Thornton's 59.83 mph in his Milan SL is a record for a production velomobile.

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #66 on: 09 September, 2019, 10:33:54 pm »
Did Liverpool have some off-piste activity?  The left-hand front wheel fairing looks like it took a bash.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #67 on: 10 September, 2019, 06:03:53 am »
ARION5 was built in a whisker over five weeks because the plug was very late in coming back from the makers, and some of it was not quite the shape it was supposed to be.  So there has had to be a certain amount of butchery carried out to get the whole thing to fit together at all chiz.  The general consensus, though, is that the whole machine has way too much frontal area to get close to Gareth Hanks' record, though Yasmin is probably still in with a shout of beating Ellen van Vugt's women's multitrack mark of 54 and a bit mph.

Anyway, Monday evening.  Too windy in the first heat, but all runs legal in heats 2 and 3.  Vittoria Spada blew a tyre in Taurus-X with a mile to go and went off into the dirt, but no damage to the rider and the bike is probably just a bit scraped up.  Bangin' 69.98 mph from Denise Koronek to up her national record again.  Faster than designer/builder Larry Lem has ever made that bike go ;D

Oh, and Rosa Bas broke Barbara Buatois' 2010 world record with a 75.88 mph,run.  And it's only Monday.  There sounds to be a certain amount of partying going on by the motel pool at the moment :thumbsup:

My Sinister Agents tell me that, as long as he can fit inside it, Todd Reichert may have a go in Peter Borenstadt's DF velomobile some time soon, just to try to be the first production vm over 60.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #68 on: 10 September, 2019, 08:07:01 am »
That is interesting as I would think the Milan has to be quicker than the DF (much better shape and longer). Has the DF got pants (wheel coverings)?
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #69 on: 10 September, 2019, 09:58:09 am »
When I read DF Velomobile, I envisage a fully fared upwrong with the pilot crouched uncomfortably in the restricted headroom. 
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #70 on: 10 September, 2019, 06:51:07 pm »
A video of the 5-man bike

https://youtu.be/W6K18bgxn78
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #71 on: 10 September, 2019, 09:51:21 pm »
That is interesting as I would think the Milan has to be quicker than the DF (much better shape and longer). Has the DF got pants (wheel coverings)?

Yes, luvverly shiny carbon ones.  I'll post a photo once they've finished uploading to Flickr.  Like zis:

Peter's DF with Todd at the controls by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

Todd clocked 51 mph over the short course, saying he needs a bit more practice with the steering.

So, Tuesday morning.  Windy.  Tokyo still couldn't launch chiz, but everyone else got away OK over two short course heats and three long ones.  Not everyone finished, though.  Andrew Sourk had to pull up Triage on his first qualifying run because of a nasty rubbery burny smell that was threatening to make him barf, while Ken Buckley, having already done a warm-up on the short course, blew the rear tyre on ARION5 right at the start of the measured 200 metres and rolled the machine into the roadside flora.  Ken OK, trike a bit bruised.  The camera pod broke off but I think it's meant to do that these days after previous incidents with ARIONs1-3.

Yasmin pushed her BRITISH women's multitrack record out to 52.92 mph before Ken rendered the machine hors de combat and for once Andrea was not the fastest.  That honour went to Fabien Canal in Altaïr 6 with a wind-legal 80.63 mph run.  Nice.

My Sinister Agents tell me that the LBSU team have concluded there is no way they can make Velociraptor's steering behave itself in the current form so they are planning a major rearrangement of the internals, viz. convert it to RWD and replace the current front end with standard stereo forks, possibly by butchering the Optima Baron they've brought as a training bike.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #72 on: 10 September, 2019, 10:51:15 pm »
Wot,  no word of Stroopwaffels? Nor no word of 2D Thomas.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #73 on: 10 September, 2019, 11:16:25 pm »
2DT has made a few appearances on the Farcebark page.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #74 on: 11 September, 2019, 12:00:04 am »
The ongoing absence of hockey tape is also conspicuous.