Author Topic: So what the hell is TRAT?  (Read 3384 times)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
So what the hell is TRAT?
« on: 12 October, 2008, 09:39:20 pm »
Welcome to a new board,* created to help riders, crew and supporters of The Race Against Time.

TRAT is the only high speed, fully-supported LEJOG in the calendar.  In six days, a team of amateur racers travel the 874 mile long route made famous by time triallists and tourists alike, averaging 150 miles in each ten hour day.  The ride supports the Bishop Simeon Trust's work fighting HIV/AIDS in South Africa and symbolises the race against time to help an ever increasing number of people whose lives are affected by this disease.

I completed TRAT in the summer of 2008 and with the help of the good people of YACF, raised an awful lot of money for this amazing cause.  On the 21st June 2009, another team of riders will be leaving Land's End with the same ambitious goal of reaching John O'Groats in six days.  I'm honoured to have been asked to be their Race Director and I shall be doing everything I can to help advise and support them during their training and then look after their every need on the ride itself. 

This board is intended as a place where our riders can come to meet up online ahead of training rides, to ask for help, to get support and advice.  It's also going to be a place where the support team and staffers from the BST can have online discussions about the ride.  Finally, I'm hoping that YACF will continue to support TRAT - both through giving their expertise, time and maybe some cash.

* Before anyone accuses me of abusing my admin superpowers, I'd just like to say that this is a DIY board that just happens to be managed by an admin.  If it fails to attract enough traffic, I'll merge it back into the rest of YACF as I would with any DIY board...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Julian

• samoture
Re: So what the hell is TRAT?
« Reply #1 on: 12 October, 2008, 09:48:20 pm »
And I'm moderating this board because... I'm riding it in June.  :o

I've spent some of today at the BST stand at the Cycle Show chatting to Tammy (the organiser) about African politics and history.  Her expertise on the subject is matched only by her passion for the Bishop Simeon Trust and its work.  I think it's an extraordinary charity and I'm privileged to be raising money for it.

YACF and its various predecessors have made such a huge contribution towards my own progress as a cyclist, from a nervous commuter three years ago, when ten miles was a major challenge, through the FNRttCs, Audax, and now this.  I'm counting on my fellow flora members to make me laugh and keep me motivated to do this horrendous thing I hear about called "training."

I'm also going to cut down on the drinkohol a bit in the months leading up to TRAT, so if you see me on a ride and you're overcome with an urge to get a round in - don't buy me a beer; pop it in the collecting tin.

:)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 12 October, 2008, 09:58:23 pm »
I'd ride it, but someone has to take the live footage.  ;)
It is simpler than it looks.

Really Ancien

« Reply #3 on: 13 October, 2008, 04:18:02 pm »
Just ask if you need some help with the route, I was taken aback by the way you went through Lancashire in 2008.

Damon.

« Reply #4 on: 13 October, 2008, 05:30:10 pm »
Thank you for throwing me back into indecision yesterday. 

I was ready to get my name scrubbed from the list when I arrived at the BST stand.  Now I'm thinking it could be possible.  I will waver for a while yet, as I have a lot of demands on those few waking hours that are not taken up with werk.  In the meantime I shall try not to think about sudocrem.

Blah

• Not sure where I'm going
« Reply #5 on: 23 October, 2008, 12:46:03 pm »
What are the exact dates of TRAT 2009?

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: 23 October, 2008, 12:48:40 pm »
21st to the 26th June.  It's all on the website  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Blah

• Not sure where I'm going
« Reply #7 on: 23 October, 2008, 02:58:48 pm »
21st to the 26th June.  It's all on the website  :)

I looked before I asked, honest. I couldn't find it. Prolly cos I am blind.

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #8 on: 11 November, 2008, 05:45:35 pm »
I am thinking seriously about this - there's something fulfilling and purposeful about riding for charity that you just don't get from 'normal' riding..... having already entered LEL just wondering if I can do both this AND LEL in successive months...

border-rider

« Reply #9 on: 11 November, 2008, 05:50:26 pm »
having already entered LEL just wondering if I can do both this AND LEL in successive months...

Don't see why not.  It'd be good training.

« Reply #10 on: 03 December, 2008, 11:44:26 am »
don't buy me a beer; pop it in the collecting tin.

That's going to make any notes in there rather sticky and unpleasant to deal with...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #11 on: 17 February, 2009, 12:46:01 pm »
I see our latest member is TRATOrg.  You're very welcome.
Getting there...

TRATOrg

« Reply #12 on: 17 February, 2009, 03:47:35 pm »
Hi everyone ,  I am indeed the TRAT organiser (I actually work for the charity the event is in aid of - The Bishop Simeon Trust  :) ) ... So if you have any questions , issues or the like - swing them my way and I will do my best to answer them...  :thumbsup:
PS To answer "what the hell is TRAT?"... the BEST CHARITY CYCLE CHALLENGE IN THE UK!!

« Reply #13 on: 17 February, 2009, 04:06:04 pm »
It's LEL for me this year, but I'm very tempted to have a crack at in 2010.

alan

« Reply #14 on: 31 March, 2009, 07:47:32 pm »
TRATOrg,
I have a question relating to donations so will PM you