Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 633517 times)

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #175 on: 18 December, 2009, 09:45:45 am »
... It's more wintry showers than snow proper, so I suspect it'll mostly melt.

So I was wrong, and it has settled overnight.  I guess the temperature must have dropped a little and the snow got a bit more serious overnight.

Now I've got to decide whether to risk the snow, or bugger around with the tram and disrupted tube lines.  It's not the snow which really worries me, it's the forecast of sub-zero temperatures this evening, which means that anything which is on the ground will freeze rock solid.

It seems to have already done that here.  A couple of inches of pretty fluffy snow on top of a sheet of hard slippery stuff...   bugger.
Wombat

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #176 on: 18 December, 2009, 10:30:11 am »
How on earth do the poor people of Scandinavia manage in winter? They must stay indoors all winter, I suppose.  ::-)

The Swedes don't do too badly.  The snow is expected; they generally have proper winter tyres and know how to drive on snow and ice.  And most minor roads and just gritted, not salted, so you don't get horrible slush.

One thing that struck me when I was in Uppsala last winter way just how thick a layer of grit/salt had built up on the treated roads.  That has to play apart.  The snow this year has come unusually early, and follows a relatively warm November.  At least in the south-east, there was very little salt on the roads until the last couple of days.  If we'd had a few weeks of frosty mornings -- and a chance for the salt to build up a bit -- I'm sure the roads would have been in better shape last night.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

« Reply #177 on: 18 December, 2009, 10:39:45 am »
Ooo.   Just looked out of the window and it's snowing.  Not expected here in Rugby.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #178 on: 18 December, 2009, 10:57:29 am »
Bromptons are not the bike of choice for the snow :D

Innit.  I have to admit that that I was getting a wee bit jittery on mine last night.

I've just measured 6" - which is the most for some years.  8)

Sigged  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #179 on: 18 December, 2009, 11:13:03 am »
Penny in the snow, Charlotte?  It'd make for some lovely Dickensian photos... though I'm not sure you could send the yoof of today off to buy a turkey...
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #180 on: 18 December, 2009, 11:17:12 am »
5 minutes of excitement (lickin' the window stuff in our office) then back to usual Dorset sunshine. *sigh* Will I ever get a reason to buy those studded tyres?

« Reply #181 on: 18 December, 2009, 11:17:26 am »
...It's not the snow which really worries me, it's the forecast of sub-zero temperatures this evening, which means that anything which is on the ground will freeze rock solid.
It seems to have already done that here.  A couple of inches of pretty fluffy snow on top of a sheet of hard slippery stuff...   bugger.

It wasn't too bad on the way in, mostly an issue around the first half a mile, on the quieter residential roads. They hadn't really had enough use to clear the snow, and had just compressed and squished it into a slippery slush.  Once I was past that most of the roads were clear, and past the first 6 miles, most of the snow in the Urban Heat Island of Central London had disappeared altogether.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #182 on: 18 December, 2009, 11:18:12 am »
Sadly, it's sunny and not at all snowy here in Ealing again.  But if we do get some more of the white stuff, I think I might just go for some penny pictures, Andy.

I could always give a teenage hoodie a tenner and tell him to go to Iceland on his BMX for me...

Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #183 on: 18 December, 2009, 11:46:10 am »
Had a fantastic ride.

Main roads were annoying because the drivers weren't anywhere near the kerb as they usually are, so I was struggling to get past on the centre line - which was frozen in places so kept throwing me off-line.

Absolutely fantastic was the sea wall between Leigh-on-sea and Benfleet.  I was the first person along there.  Fun slipping in the wet mud that was under the thick blanket of snow, and it was tiring after a while slogging through the snow.  But woo hoo!  Snow at last!

Going out again in a minute.

« Reply #184 on: 18 December, 2009, 12:30:46 pm »
No snow here in Wolverhampton.  Bloody cold though.

« Reply #185 on: 18 December, 2009, 12:45:04 pm »
Still no snow in nottingham, but its bloody freezing out there!!!! Hopefully there wont be any

Don't question. It makes people angry.

Chris S

« Reply #186 on: 18 December, 2009, 12:47:33 pm »
It continues to snow heavily on and off. It looks lovely out there (when viewed from in here :)).

Probably up to 12cm on the ground now, and it's really heaving it down at the moment  :thumbsup:. I rang Mrs S and suggested she take the afternoon off and get back home while she still can.

« Reply #187 on: 18 December, 2009, 12:54:03 pm »
Bright sunshine lighting up the snow here now :D. It's beautiful. Had an unscheduled trip to Sutton where it was much clearer.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Chris S

« Reply #188 on: 18 December, 2009, 01:17:44 pm »
I don't think I'll be troubling the bikes in the shed today:

« Reply #189 on: 18 December, 2009, 02:15:11 pm »
A few inches here, which has only melted where it's in direct sun on a dark background. Went for a walk in the cemetery this morning, & saw lots of muntjac tracks, but no deer. Apart from the lack of a base, it would have been good for skiing on. Fresh powder!
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #190 on: 18 December, 2009, 03:34:10 pm »
Innit.  I have to admit that that I was getting a wee bit jittery on mine last night.
What made it worse for me, seeing my other half plough through the snow on his 50 year old bike whilst I nearly went over every 5 meters.

Couple of pictures from last nights spin slide around the town

« Reply #191 on: 18 December, 2009, 03:35:49 pm »
Over here:

Quote from: National Weather Service
Tonight: Snow. Low around 27. Calm wind becoming north between 8 and 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

Saturday: Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 31. North wind between 11 and 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 6 to 10 inches possible.
scottclark.photoshelter.com

« Reply #192 on: 18 December, 2009, 03:41:24 pm »
How can a "Chance" be 100% ?!!

Edit: A friend of mine in Minnesota LOLd quite a bit when I told her we'd had a few inches of snow. Pathetic really when we have to measure snow fall in inches rather than feet!

Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #193 on: 18 December, 2009, 03:57:55 pm »
Over here:

Quote from: National Weather Service
Tonight: Snow. Low around 27. Calm wind becoming north between 8 and 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

Saturday: Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 31. North wind between 11 and 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 6 to 10 inches possible.

Being Abroad is cheating.

« Reply #194 on: 18 December, 2009, 04:13:30 pm »

;D    But trust me, this is unusual for here.

Time for me to break out the fat-tired, lots-of-standover bike:

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #195 on: 18 December, 2009, 05:13:53 pm »
My daughter has reminded me that I promised a pre-Christmas sailing trip to the IoW and she's going to hold me to it.

Oh joy. I get cold in the cockpit while everyone else gets pissed below.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #196 on: 18 December, 2009, 05:19:56 pm »
Your daughter gets pissed?She will be aged 18+ then.

« Reply #197 on: 18 December, 2009, 09:30:57 pm »
[orchestra hit]

[deep narrator's voice] It has begun....

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #198 on: 18 December, 2009, 09:37:27 pm »

;D    But trust me, this is unusual for here.

Time for me to break out the fat-tired, lots-of-standover bike:

Ooh, I think that's nearly as old as older than mine - a 1992 850 Antelope.  I don't have a pic of that at the moment, though.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #199 on: 18 December, 2009, 09:50:34 pm »
Obviously it's way too small for me, but I wanted to build up something halfway between a mountain bike and a trials bike, just for playing around on. The tires are very sticky, and the seat can drop all the way down to avoid painful incidents.