Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 636911 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #325 on: 21 December, 2009, 04:34:31 pm »
Still raining heavily here.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #326 on: 21 December, 2009, 04:38:29 pm »
and here :D

:D

(:D because I'm snug and warm at home)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #327 on: 21 December, 2009, 04:38:46 pm »
I realise that I am not really worried about the snow at all, but I think of the miles & miles of fuckwit drivers who haven't properly cleared their screens, who will be pulling out from side roads and overtaking too close as if it were a normal day. >:(
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #328 on: 21 December, 2009, 04:40:44 pm »
The Met Office have upgraded their severe weather warning to "Be prepared".

I tend to think that anything that comes from the south-west will be rain before it gets here, which at the moment it is.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #329 on: 21 December, 2009, 04:41:12 pm »
It's proper snowing here, at least an inch has settled.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #330 on: 21 December, 2009, 04:41:56 pm »
Proper snow here in SE23, over an inch in 30 minutes, and it's still coming down with vigour.

I was out on the Honda when that happened.  :o

I did not enjoy it and would like to nominate myself for this year's clenching award.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #331 on: 21 December, 2009, 04:43:58 pm »
Oh dear.  Am I going to be leaving a pinched ridge down the brow of my Brooks again this evening?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #332 on: 21 December, 2009, 04:45:16 pm »
Oh dear.  Am I going to be leaving a pinched ridge down the brow of my Brooks again this evening?

:o ;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #333 on: 21 December, 2009, 04:46:33 pm »
I nearly picked my bike up by the saddle, no hands,  this morning as I transitioned from a fast roundabout to a shared path with thick glassy ice.

I think we will all be doing a lot of clenching tonight...
Getting there...

« Reply #334 on: 21 December, 2009, 04:46:48 pm »
Oh noes - I have a ride from WC2 to SE23 ahead of me, wearing shorts, no overshoes and just a thin merino top and a windproof endura jacket.  But I do have crimble lights adorning my frame and I suspect most of the roads will be wet rather than icy.

« Reply #335 on: 21 December, 2009, 04:46:54 pm »

Leather softened by over-application of Proofide? Or just extremely strong muscles, & a grip enhanced by fear?  ;D
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #336 on: 21 December, 2009, 04:49:04 pm »
& an impressive pelvic floor ;D

« Reply #337 on: 21 December, 2009, 04:49:30 pm »
loads of snow here in Southampton now, hope everybody gets home OK

« Reply #338 on: 21 December, 2009, 04:50:27 pm »
Oh noes - I have a ride from WC2 to SE23 ahead of me, wearing shorts, no overshoes and just a thin merino top and a windproof endura jacket.  But I do have crimble lights adorning my frame and I suspect most of the roads will be wet rather than icy.

I think you may have to walk the last half mile or so - the main roads are OK.
Side roads and Sainsbury's car park - not so much.

EDIT - Shorts!!!  :o :o :o

« Reply #339 on: 21 December, 2009, 04:57:37 pm »
Oh noes - I have a ride from WC2 to SE23 ahead of me, wearing shorts, no overshoes and just a thin merino top and a windproof endura jacket.
Had you heard the weather forecast in the last week? I haven't been out with fewer than 2 pairs of trousers (longs + altura winter jobbies) in over a week :o.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #340 on: 21 December, 2009, 04:58:57 pm »
I've kept my long johns on. Luvverly and warm!

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #341 on: 21 December, 2009, 05:01:56 pm »
To be fair I cycled in with a short sleeve jersey, pair of jeans anna hat. Thankfully I have a training jacket in my bag.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #342 on: 21 December, 2009, 05:02:42 pm »
People seeing me on my way to work this morning may be forgiven for thinking that I'd forgotten to get up.  I probably looked like I was wearing a double bed.  ;D  :thumbsup:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #343 on: 21 December, 2009, 05:03:18 pm »
EDIT - Shorts!!!  :o :o :o

Well, I had a busy weekend and didn't get round to putting my longs through the wash, so I thought I would chance it this morning.  It was fine actually - a bit of a burning sensation on the shins but nothing unpleasant.

« Reply #344 on: 21 December, 2009, 05:04:54 pm »
I just walked from M&S on South Kensington High Street to Imperial College, and in about the ten minutes that took, the paths had gone from wet and clear to 1/2" to 1" of snow. :o

Given this countries ability to deal with snow (at least in the South), I shall be leaving shortly, before Public Transport grinds to a halt (too much shopping today to use the bike).
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #345 on: 21 December, 2009, 05:08:17 pm »
......and in about the ten minutes that took, the paths had gone from wet and clear to 1/2" to 1" of snow. :o

That was pretty much my experience between going into, and coming back out of the supermarket  :o

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #346 on: 21 December, 2009, 05:11:22 pm »
It's stopped here. The rain has helped the traffic to break up the 2" thick sheet ice which covered our side-road (we are on a corner: the main road is one of Southend's east-west thoroughfares and has been clear since Friday a.m.).

Zoidburg

« Reply #347 on: 21 December, 2009, 05:13:42 pm »
No rain here, freezing all day and not a cloud in the sky, it's going to be cold one again tonight.

« Reply #348 on: 21 December, 2009, 05:39:52 pm »
The snow seems to have switched back to drizzle, possibly wintry drizzle, so I guess little chance of us now being buried in snow drifts for a while.

I'm abandoning my dash for the tube, until the rush hour has passed (somewhat).  I hate travelling on the underground when it's packed, and even more so when I've got stacks of stuff to carry.
Actually, it is rocket science.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #349 on: 21 December, 2009, 05:46:48 pm »
Well, that was fun. It's taken me about an hour and a half to get from SE21 to SE13, right through the middle of the snow. Solid traffic, cars and vans getting stuck uphill, the usual joy. Maybe I could have ridden faster, but it was all very pretty.

By the time I reached Ladywell it was thawing rapidly: the warmest air we've had all week. Until it freezes again the roads should move more freely.

A roll of thunder came over from about Woolwich. I don't know what that was about.
Not especially helpful or mature