Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 638038 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #450 on: 24 December, 2009, 02:18:44 pm »
Not snow, but ice.  Lots and lots of ice.
Mrs. B was supposed to go to work today but she couldn't.
I couldn't even walk through our gate and the lane itself is a perfect sheet of ice.
I doubt if this phone shot will show it though.

Hurrah!  We're completely cut off for Christmas.  Thank god I drove down yesterday.

That's most impressive, Basil! How far from Llandysul are you now?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #451 on: 24 December, 2009, 02:23:38 pm »
The surgery phoned and informed me they had now done my prescription that had been missing
from my usual one.
The receptionist enquired if I would be able to pick it up right now, as they close in a bit.
I replied "I'll try my best to."

So I had 22 minutes to do a smidgen over four miles to get there.

There were a few John Candy "Devil" moments.  :o

Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #452 on: 24 December, 2009, 05:04:23 pm »

That's most impressive, Basil! How far from Llandysul are you now?
'bout 4 miles.  Might as well be 400 though.
It's a good job it's crimble.  We've got loads of food and drink in.   :P
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #453 on: 25 December, 2009, 10:03:31 pm »
According to the Met Office, it's been a white Christmas in quite a few places from Nottingham northwards.

They reckon it will be sunny and much milder tomorrow here in Saarfend, which means I should get a few miles in.

However, they also reckon it will be raining hard at midnight and 7°C. Since it's cloudless and freezing hard at the moment, I'll believe that when it happens.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #454 on: 25 December, 2009, 10:17:40 pm »
It's now pissing down in Nth Manchester and it will be fun tomorrow getting the car out if it freezes overnight.

Oh well. Not back to work until Tuesday. it's gonna be a looooooonnnng weekend
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #455 on: 27 December, 2009, 10:41:26 am »
More snow for us this morning.  I'm getting bored with it now, once it stops its all very pretty etc but its stopping me from getting out on the bike !  Worse, it looks like the forecast for the rest of the week is more of the same.  :(
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #456 on: 27 December, 2009, 10:58:05 am »
Its thawing :)going for a short ride later.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #457 on: 27 December, 2009, 11:22:59 am »
We're now at the main roads are clear, but many side roads and pavements have compacted/thawed/refrozen/covered in a slick of meltwater grey yack everywhere stage.  Which means that I nearly went base over apex walking to the corner shop!

gordon taylor

« Reply #458 on: 27 December, 2009, 11:32:12 am »
I'm surprised that we still have so much ice around because the last two nights here have been +3 or so.

Zoidburg

« Reply #459 on: 27 December, 2009, 01:02:05 pm »
Aaaaannd now...it's torrential rain.

*Thinks of emigrating*

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #460 on: 27 December, 2009, 07:22:51 pm »
So my train was cancelled at Edinburgh and I'm on the scotrail service to queen street then a slither to central station. Going to get my connection on time but I've lost my comfy 1st class seat.
My train from Edinburgh to Newcastle on Christmas Eve was half an hour late getting to Edinburgh because of a broken rail at South Gyle, so I missed my connection at Newcastle and had to wait for the next one. Coming back was problem-free though.

Lots of snow in Huddersfield.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #461 on: 27 December, 2009, 08:07:32 pm »
I see that the Met Office are contemplating another bout of snow in a few days.

Zoidburg

« Reply #462 on: 27 December, 2009, 08:10:34 pm »
I see that the Met Office are contemplating another bout of snow in a few days.
Well they tell us what the weather will be like so I assume that they control it.

« Reply #463 on: 28 December, 2009, 05:26:13 pm »
There's been a very hard frost here and although it's remained quite clear and bright
all day, it hasn't been able to shift the frost.
So, I'm on the road, it's nice 'n' quiet and I'm steadily going along on my MTB.
Up ahead riding on the footpath which runs alongside the road is a young chap on his bike.

In next to no time I'm alongside him and now very slowly getting ahead.
Very slowly - because he's seen me and now upped his pace.
I'm not racing, I'm far from in the mood for it, the icy conditions being one of them.
If he'd seen just how quickly I'd reeled him in, then I'm certain he wouldn't have been so eager  ::-)

The paths around here are an ice rink and Jack Frost wanted a piece of his ass.
I then heard a lot of different noises.
By the time I glanced around he was already slowly picking himself back up.

More snow forecast for tomorrow.  :(
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.

simonp

« Reply #464 on: 28 December, 2009, 09:34:50 pm »
So my train was cancelled at Edinburgh and I'm on the scotrail service to queen street then a slither to central station. Going to get my connection on time but I've lost my comfy 1st class seat.
My train from Edinburgh to Newcastle on Christmas Eve was half an hour late getting to Edinburgh because of a broken rail at South Gyle, so I missed my connection at Newcastle and had to wait for the next one. Coming back was problem-free though.

Lots of snow in Huddersfield.

There was lots of whinging about public transport on the (standing room only) service to Glasgow.  But we got there, unlike many people driving recently who have been forced to abandon their cars.

By the time I head back south on Sunday it'll hopefully have got a bit more back to normal.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #465 on: 28 December, 2009, 09:45:58 pm »

So, I'm on the road, it's nice 'n' quiet and I'm steadily going along on my MTB.
Up ahead riding on the footpath which runs alongside the road is a young chap on his bike.

Was it a shared use, or an actual footpath?

I noticed several pavement cyclists round our way this week - on proper pavements, not shared use at all.  Insanity - the road was well-gritted and completey clear, not even a slush pile at the edge.  In broad daylight.  The pavement was coated in absolutely lethal hard-packed snow and ice, with a vicious slope on it too.  Not to mention the PEDESTRIANS.  But of course, the roads just aren't safe, are they?  :facepalm:

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #466 on: 28 December, 2009, 10:59:40 pm »
Driving up to Edinburgh tonight. No snow, but a lot lying. Very cold - it dropped to -15 midway between Biggar and Edinburgh.
It is simpler than it looks.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #467 on: 28 December, 2009, 11:02:34 pm »
Snowing again here tonight. The last lot is still covering the ground, all frozen and never melted because it didn't get warm enough.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #468 on: 29 December, 2009, 07:57:56 am »

There was lots of whinging about public transport on the (standing room only) service to Glasgow.  But we got there, unlike many people driving recently who have been forced to abandon their cars.

By the time I head back south on Sunday it'll hopefully have got a bit more back to normal.

Coming back north was fine, no problems at all. I forgot to say that on my way south, the Edinburgh train had no heating and no working toilets because of frozen pipes.  :-\
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #469 on: 29 December, 2009, 12:42:44 pm »

Was it a shared use, or an actual footpath?

Just a normal footpath. No one bats an eyelid here regarding bikes on footpaths.
Even the cops on their MTB bikes prefer using the footpaths.
It's a very, very large estate that I live next to and the way the estate is laid out
means cycling on footpaths is the norm around here.

Zoidburg

« Reply #470 on: 29 December, 2009, 07:01:03 pm »
The weather bods have just said we are about to get dumped on up here.

« Reply #471 on: 29 December, 2009, 07:13:04 pm »

It's about to rain untreated sewage?  :o

I bet you'd prefer several inches of snow instead.

I'll get my coat...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Zoidburg

« Reply #472 on: 29 December, 2009, 07:48:36 pm »

It's about to rain untreated sewage?  :o

I bet you'd prefer several inches of snow instead.

I'll get my coat...
Going by severn trents half arsed efforts of late it could do either.

Spot the broken water main is a little on the road game for me, it's terribly nice of them to provide ice rinks at road junctions.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #473 on: 01 January, 2010, 08:35:01 am »
I've awoken to another dusting and very icy roads. The snow only seems to have settled on the roofs and there's only about a quarter of an inch of it. I was hoping to go out with the CTC this morning to their traditional New Year lunch at the Viper (first stop on the YACF Essex Christmas do). I don't need to leave until 9.45. I'll see how it turns out: the sun is shining, which makes a nice change from last year.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #474 on: 01 January, 2010, 08:47:28 am »
So what is wrong with BBC weather forecast?

BBC Homepage weather info for my postcode

BBC Five day forecast for the same postcode: