Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 636140 times)

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #700 on: 05 January, 2010, 09:32:33 pm »
Not falling in our corner of S London yet.  I hope it holds off till Butterfly gets home later... :-\

I hope so too Clarion - I've heard that it won't be 3a.m. until the snow starts in south Lahndahn.

« Reply #701 on: 05 January, 2010, 09:33:42 pm »
1gear,

Don't worry about your spelling etc.   Just think about your overall contribution.   You're welcome here so just enjoy yourself and treat everybody just as you'd hope to be treated yourself.    

There's nowt as queer as folk...   ;)

« Reply #702 on: 05 January, 2010, 09:35:14 pm »
^

+1

J

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #703 on: 05 January, 2010, 09:36:48 pm »
Light snow is falling in North-West London.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #704 on: 05 January, 2010, 09:48:00 pm »
The thing I'm kicking myself about is that this morning I swapped over from using my big pannier to my saddle bag, as I didn't need to carry a change of clothes into work. Of course, that meant I couldn't bring the laptop home, so working from home tomorrow won't be easy. I can access emails and teleconf, but unless I'm on a real company laptop the security stuff won't let me access email attachments, the document database or network drives  :(

Sadly, I have full access to WORK.

This means that I'll be working from home tomorrow and not having a skive like everyone else (who are less prepared for home working than me and will simply be unable to get in to the office).

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #705 on: 05 January, 2010, 09:52:38 pm »
1gear, actually reading my post again it is a bit harsher than intended. I really wanted to say that if you make a small effort (spell checking + rereading) you will be OK and feel good about it!

Going back to snow, I am supposed to take the train from Bristol to Scunthorpe tomorrow, any idea of the odds that I reach my destination?
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #706 on: 05 January, 2010, 09:56:11 pm »
Going back to snow, I am supposed to take the train from Bristol to Scunthorpe tomorrow, any idea of the odds that I reach my destination?
I reckon that if you press on regardless, you will reach Scunthorpe eventually (though I'm baffled that you would want to), but I will not give odds for you achieving it before the end of tomorrow.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #707 on: 05 January, 2010, 10:00:55 pm »
I reckon that if you press on regardless, you will reach Scunthorpe eventually (though I'm baffled that you would want to), but I will not give odds for you achieving it before the end of tomorrow.

At a guess, I'd suggest going north before you go east. I reckon all lines into Paddington & Waterloo will be inoperable tomorrow.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #708 on: 05 January, 2010, 10:03:52 pm »
I think you'll be OK. Be careful in Scunny though. While you are there, could you ask about the conditions on the back roads towards Thorne for us ?

It's only snow. We had 9 and half hours of it today and I got the train to work and back OK. No problem. Some East Coast Mainline trains to London were cancelled though. Down south they really shouldn't be closing main line stations

simonp

« Reply #709 on: 05 January, 2010, 10:07:27 pm »
They're forecasting up to 40cm of snow in southern parts.  I reckon that's quite a lot.  It's more than I can remember ever experiencing when I lived in Scotland in the 70s-early 90s.  I was sent home from school in the 80s for much less snow than we've seen down here recently.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #710 on: 05 January, 2010, 10:09:13 pm »
The snow has just started falling here in SE13 land. I am getting worried as I had booked my bike in for a service tomorrow, but Lewisham has been thoroughly gritted.

border-rider

« Reply #711 on: 05 January, 2010, 10:11:13 pm »
They're forecasting up to 40cm of snow in southern parts.  I reckon that's quite a lot. 

It happened once in the 14 years we lived in West Berks, in about 95 I think.  I recall similar in Leeds in 81-2 and 92 or thereabouts.  

Mrs MV recalls being snowed in at a friend's farm in Monmouthshire for 6 days in 81-2

« Reply #712 on: 05 January, 2010, 10:12:58 pm »
I have loved the cold snap. I have spoken to more commuting cyclists in the last few weeks, all in the spirit of 'we're all in it together', and 'isn't it fun/aren't we mad/freezing/walking our bikes', than I have all year.

I do hope it snows here tonight. We missed out on the last dump which was forecast but didn't happen, and I'm still desperate to plonk minimac on the sledge we bought last year just as the thaw came. I brought my work laptop home tonight just in case we're snowed in.  :thumbsup:

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

EDIT - IT'S SNOWING IN SW18! WHOOP WHOOP

« Reply #713 on: 05 January, 2010, 10:13:38 pm »
SNO!

We haz about an inch of it so far. I don't think we're in the area due to get the full 16" but if it keeps going at this rate all night, tomorrow might be fun.

Which will be best for the commute tomorrow? The fat-tyred MTB which slides a lot in slush, or the Pompino with cyclocross tyres and horrendous toe overlap?  ;D
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #714 on: 05 January, 2010, 10:15:34 pm »
It is more rain here in SW6.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #715 on: 05 January, 2010, 10:16:44 pm »
Freezing hard here: ice all over the pavements with no tell-tale signs of wetness round the edges.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #716 on: 05 January, 2010, 10:20:00 pm »
Not a flake of snow to be seen here in Walford East London. 
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #717 on: 05 January, 2010, 10:23:58 pm »
Snowing and settling here in TW9.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #718 on: 05 January, 2010, 10:32:44 pm »
I think you'll be OK. Be careful in Scunny though. While you are there, could you ask about the conditions on the back roads towards Thorne for us ?

It's only snow. We had 9 and half hours of it today and I got the train to work and back OK. No problem. Some East Coast Mainline trains to London were cancelled though. Down south they really shouldn't be closing main line stations

Thanks!

No snow in sight in Bath!
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #719 on: 05 January, 2010, 10:34:30 pm »
Small fluttering in sw6.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #720 on: 05 January, 2010, 10:35:01 pm »
Coming down in lumps out in W13.  :D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #721 on: 05 January, 2010, 10:35:35 pm »
Small fluttering in sw6.
Congratulations!  :D

« Reply #722 on: 05 January, 2010, 10:39:37 pm »
I posted with you in mind, Wow. ;)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #723 on: 05 January, 2010, 10:41:08 pm »
I posted with you in mind, Wow. ;)

I swallowed that hook, line & sinker!  :-*

« Reply #724 on: 05 January, 2010, 10:42:50 pm »
There's 3" of snow deposited in Portsmouth, courtesy of the huge fluffy flakes earlier.  :D

On past form, that's as good as it'll ever get down here.  :(
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche