Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 637848 times)

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #725 on: 05 January, 2010, 10:49:15 pm »
1gear,

Don't worry about your spelling etc.   Just think about your overall contribution.   You're welcome here so just enjoy yourself and treat everybody just as you'd hope to be treated yourself.    

There's nowt as queer as folk...   ;)

Spelling police    :o

We'll all be banned because we're not literary geniuses/genii  ??? next.

(edit: not referring to your goodself PB, I just can't be bovvered to read thro' the whole thread to find out who)

« Reply #726 on: 05 January, 2010, 10:50:59 pm »
It's stopped again  :(

border-rider

« Reply #727 on: 05 January, 2010, 10:53:03 pm »
About 5 cm here but it's stopped, and it looks well above freezing from the way it's falling off things.

« Reply #728 on: 05 January, 2010, 10:53:35 pm »
The students at the end of the street have been busy -

"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #729 on: 05 January, 2010, 10:55:58 pm »

Spelling police    :o

We'll all be banned because we're not literary geniuses/genii  ??? next.

No way... I have cast the runes and looked into the used tealeaves... in May, Rogerzilla will have a rush of blood to the head and try an experimental ban on smilies...  :demon: :demon: :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #730 on: 05 January, 2010, 10:57:35 pm »

Spelling police    :o

We'll all be banned because we're not literary geniuses/genii  ??? next.

No way... I have cast the runes and looked into the used tealeaves... in May, Rogerzilla will have a rush of blood to the head and try an experimental ban on smilies...  :demon: :demon: :demon:

;D ;D ;D

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #731 on: 05 January, 2010, 10:58:35 pm »
Norty Spesh , go and write "I will not pick that old scab" 100 times in teh sno.

;)

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #732 on: 05 January, 2010, 11:03:49 pm »
There's 3" of snow deposited in Portsmouth, courtesy of the huge fluffy flakes earlier.  :D

On past form, that's as good as it'll ever get down here.  :(

You're so ungrateful.

This is the most snow I've seen here in 20 years.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #733 on: 05 January, 2010, 11:05:20 pm »
He's gonig to need to drink a lot of tea to do that, Claire  ::-)

I've got no problems with people whose grammar is poor because English isn't their first language.  Just the same as I'd be very tolerant of someone who genuinely has the sort of learning difficulties which makes seeing spelling mistakes hard for them.

In the absence of any good reason, I'm afraid that I tend to see poor spelling and punctuation as evidence that people don't give a shit.  Which is sad.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #734 on: 05 January, 2010, 11:05:53 pm »
About 5 cm here but it's stopped, and it looks well above freezing from the way it's falling off things.

0.3 here.

It's not falling off things here. I'm listening to the sound of branches snapping as I type.

« Reply #735 on: 05 January, 2010, 11:12:31 pm »

« Reply #736 on: 05 January, 2010, 11:13:51 pm »
Finally! We have SNO in East London!

I live just round the corner from work so I probably don't get a skiving working from home day. 

« Reply #737 on: 05 January, 2010, 11:15:24 pm »

I've got no problems with people whose grammar is poor because English isn't their first language.  Just the same as I'd be very tolerant of someone who genuinely has the sort of learning difficulties which makes seeing spelling mistakes hard for them.

In the absence of any good reason, I'm afraid that I tend to see poor spelling and punctuation as evidence that people don't give a shit.  Which is sad.

Must have been the haste with which you posted ;)

« Reply #738 on: 05 January, 2010, 11:15:49 pm »

Two U's(Pe and Geography) and a B(photography)
You can make your mind up.
It was the exam that let me down in geography in pe, my physical side of pe was quite good.

You can make your own mind up from that. That was at AS.

You can take the piss out of that if you like aswell.

Don't question. It makes people angry.

« Reply #739 on: 05 January, 2010, 11:16:35 pm »
There's 4 to 5 inches here in Abingdon.  Though I'm wary or reporting further in case I make a grammatical or spelling error  ::-)  Was a nice thread...  :-[

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #740 on: 05 January, 2010, 11:20:49 pm »
There's 4 to 5 inches here in Abingdon.  Though I'm wary or reporting further in case I make a grammatical or spelling error  ::-)  Was a nice thread...  :-[

:demon:

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #741 on: 05 January, 2010, 11:33:42 pm »
We're turning lorries back now that are heading down the A34, a lot of the runs are coming back due to the weather. Our Irlam depot isn't running at all today the Gateshead and Doncaster drivers are reporting 6"-10" up there.
Scottish one has managed to get down half way but it's fun all over.
I'm now waiting for the call from the other supervisor saying he won't make it in to let me go home at 6  ::-)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #742 on: 05 January, 2010, 11:36:55 pm »
Snowing here now. Temperature about -1°C according to the thermometer I think is the most accurate.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #743 on: 05 January, 2010, 11:38:18 pm »
There's 4 to 5 inches here in Abingdon.

Hi FF, a group of us walked down to the Spread earlier for a couple of pints, now about 6 in. I reckon.  HAd a good snow ball fight on the way back.  Good places to sledge tomorrow? :)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #744 on: 05 January, 2010, 11:38:53 pm »
There's 4 to 5 inches here in Abingdon.  Though I'm wary or reporting further in case I make a grammatical or spelling error  ::-)  Was a nice thread...  :-[

:demon:

Well there you go.  Your superiority proven.
Some people aren't very good at some things.  My spelling and grammar is not terribly good and my trypings even worse.
My daughter is a good artists, but has difficulties with spelling in particular, we've endured much anguish, time, cost and rows trying different things to help her, but it doesn't work, she's not lazy, she just doesn't get it and  it will work against her in the long run.  C'est la vie, we could keep flogging the dog, but there's little point.

So, unless there's a back-story here I'm not aware of, (beat me if I'm wrong), it appears as a relatively casual observer  that the spelling/grammar point has been clearly made and picking the scab again appears bullying.
I enjoy coming here, but reading through the thread reminds of the playground.  Sorry.  I found it an unpleasant sidewshow whilst I'm here for some R&R.
FF.

RainOrShine

« Reply #745 on: 05 January, 2010, 11:42:52 pm »
Having chipped in back on page 41 about Wiltshire's "extreme warning", I am disappointed to report less than 1 cm so far this evening.  Actually, disappointed does not even come close.  I may even have to go to work tomorrow! :o

« Reply #746 on: 05 January, 2010, 11:46:36 pm »
There's 4 to 5 inches here in Abingdon.

Hi FF, a group of us walked down to the Spread earlier for a couple of pints, now about 6 in. I reckon.  HAd a good snow ball fight on the way back.  Good places to sledge tomorrow? :)

Sounds great (though am on the wagon for 3 months... and obviously irritable  ::-)).  Sledging you say?  There's a cracking hill over Sunningwell way, halfway through the village close to the pond going up towards Boars Hill.  If you can get there (it's of course walkable) that might prove exciting!  Otherwise there's a small slope or two in Tilsley Park.

Enjoy!  I have to struggle into work, we've a deadline to get products to Munich by Monday, but I'm not expecting the dry-ice to arrive from Heathrow or DHL to collect or planes to be flying, but I'm making the products regardless!  God loves a trier (or is that tryer)!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #747 on: 05 January, 2010, 11:47:32 pm »
Snowing steadily here now.  No sign of Butterfly yet :(
Getting there...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #748 on: 05 January, 2010, 11:50:03 pm »
Brent Borderlands have about 4cm snow. Buses are still running. 2010/1/5  23.45

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #749 on: 05 January, 2010, 11:50:58 pm »
I'd better look out the window - it wasn't snowing 30 mins ago.
It is simpler than it looks.