Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 637697 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #1000 on: 09 January, 2010, 12:48:39 am »
Heavy snow in Saarfend.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1001 on: 09 January, 2010, 12:53:00 am »
OOooohhhhhh it's just starting here.  Looking forwards to the morning.

Zoidburg

« Reply #1002 on: 09 January, 2010, 03:22:08 am »
OOooohhhhhh it's just starting here.  Looking forwards to the morning.
As are the good people at accident and emergency.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #1003 on: 09 January, 2010, 07:56:18 am »
Overheard in the pub:

"it was so slippery I couldn't stand up to cross the road - I had to give up and go back and get the car to get here".

« Reply #1004 on: 09 January, 2010, 09:00:20 am »
There were a few very large fluffy snow flakes when I got up, here in Croydon, but little since.  In some ways I'd like some fresh snow, it would be easier to walk on than the icy stuff.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #1005 on: 09 January, 2010, 09:53:32 am »
A significant number of my usual Friday Night Bicycle Pub Crawl compatriots are wussing out tonight as they claim that the roads are too dangerous to cycle on.

They may be correct so I intend to use the bridleways.   ;D

They have been more ridable in the last couple of weeks than they were for the preceeding couple of months.

Only two others made it for a severely curtailed Friday night.

There was an inch of fluffy stuff over the frozen ground and the couple of miles of field edge bridleway were superb.  There was one spin-out when I lost the back wheel on a little connecting lane that had been compacted to ice then disguised with snow.  I ended up pointing at 90 degrees to my original direction, straddling my bike and giggling like a schoolgirl.  I had set off early which meant that I could nip up to the local woods for another couple of miles before my first pint.

We have had a little more snow overnight and there are still occasional flurries so I may have to go and play in daylight.

« Reply #1006 on: 09 January, 2010, 10:31:22 am »
It seems the neighbour is having a washing machine delivered. At least, an attempted delivery anyway.
The two blokes have the machine on a porters trolley.
They've covered about ten metres on the footpath in the last five minutes.

It's almost like watching Laurel & Hardy in colour.  ;D
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1007 on: 09 January, 2010, 12:21:38 pm »
It snowed here quite lightly for about an hour and a half this morning, but it's stopped now and the sun is out.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1008 on: 09 January, 2010, 12:27:18 pm »
We had another inch or two overnight, contrasted to daughter in Maidstone who tells me they've now got "about a foot" lying. They've also got a pretty firm forecast of up to another 8 inches this afternoon / tomorrow.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1009 on: 09 January, 2010, 12:46:58 pm »
We had a light dusting, but the roads haven't been salted overnight and driving is "interesting".  I went out to get screws for the tyres and had to take a bit of a run up at the slope leaving Wickes' car park.  Wheelspin in third gear if provoked.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1010 on: 09 January, 2010, 12:57:51 pm »
We are sitting in embra airport waiting for our flight which should have left at 0955 cos chambery airport is closed. Could be a long boring day...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1011 on: 09 January, 2010, 01:06:14 pm »
*waves to the Pingus*
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #1012 on: 09 January, 2010, 02:10:21 pm »
Overheard in the pub:

"it was so slippery I couldn't stand up to cross the road - I had to give up and go back and get the car to get here".

Well I got the bike out to cross the road to visit the neighbour.  I couldn't stand up to cross it  ;D

Euan Uzami

« Reply #1013 on: 09 January, 2010, 03:13:29 pm »
Bit more snow here. Alot of side roads closed because they are ice and hills. So there are alot of people that cant drive anywhere because of the ice on the roads. Cant walk because of ice on the pavement.
Was a big thing on the local news on it.
My road is fine though so im still getting out on bike alright

It must be cold - your apostrophe key appears to have frozen solid again.

Im on quite a few different forums, for a few different things.
Why is it that a few members on here have a problem with my spelling and typing?
Or, is it mainly because you have a problem with me personally?

If you dont have a problem with me personally, then either live with my spelling or dont read my posts. I couldnt give a toss either way.

Or do you just like to take the piss and comment on someone who has a problem with spelling and typing? I persoanlly dont see the problem with what ive wrote, so YOU or any other member just critising it wont help. I may not be the sharpest knife in your draw, but that doesnt just make it fine for you to comment on my typing. You get the jist of my post, and understand what i mean.

Many of us went to schools where these things mattered a great deal. Some of your 'bad habits' were drummed out of us by the age of ten. At ten, we might have taken the '11+' exam to enter secondary school. Poor sentence structure, punctuation, grammar, spelling and usage would have caused us to FAIL and blighted our future.
When we see poor usage now, we cringe, either privately or publically.
Look at our profiles; some of us are old enough to be your parents.

The older generation is full of Grumpy Old Gits who grumble about poor educational standards of the youth of today. Either improve the standard of your English or accept the odd poke by the Old Fogeys...

I am known to have posted here and Elsewhere about poor English on, for example the BBC News website.

We don't like watching standards slip.

Helen, aged 51.57

comma after 'for example'.  ::-)

Euan Uzami

« Reply #1014 on: 09 January, 2010, 03:32:33 pm »
He's gonig to need to drink a lot of tea to do that, Claire  ::-)

I've got no problems with people whose grammar is poor because English isn't their first language.  Just the same as I'd be very tolerant of someone who genuinely has the sort of learning difficulties which makes seeing spelling mistakes hard for them.

In the absence of any good reason, I'm afraid that I tend to see poor spelling and punctuation as evidence that people don't give a shit.  Which is sad.

It's not though, some people genuinely don't know the rules. They just plump for trying to remember where they've seen each specific word written before.
My boss, a company director I might add, asked me to proof read an email: some of the apostrophes were in the right place, and some of the words that shouldn't have them didn't, but still contained phrases like "affecting the companys ability to produce CD's and DVD's".
I corrected it all, and he looked at me curiously, and said "so when DO you have an apostrophe and when not, then?", henceforth I explained that you DO have one when it's possessive (with the exception of "its"), and you DON'T have one for plurals. He appeared impressed but bemused to learn that there was actually a rule and that you didn't actually have to remember all the specific instances to get them right.
People know that they go on some words but not on others, but it's a bit of a stab in the dark as to which.

« Reply #1015 on: 09 January, 2010, 03:43:27 pm »
Ladies and Gentlemen, whilst I understand the strong feelings that some people have over the merits or not of accurate spelling and grammar in forums and similar, can we please keep it in the correct place.  A distinct thread in The Pub or even Politics and Other Big Issues to discuss such would be a better idea, rather than confusing the discussion in a thread about the current meteorological conditions.  Thank you.

There's some more fairly fine snow in Croydon, although what's been there for the last few days is still fluffy in places.  Unfortunately, a lot of it is quiet hard, icy, and somewhat lethal to walk on.

There doesn't seem to be a great deal more snow forecast for London, the majority looks like it's going to fall east of here again, so hard luck Wow et al.

It is still a bit chilly though.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1016 on: 09 January, 2010, 03:46:09 pm »
We have had a fair bit fall this afternoon, and East Street, which is one of the main thoroughfares, has snow lying on it. There's a lot more forecast and the Met Office have upgraded their severe weather warning to orange for Essex & Southend.

« Reply #1017 on: 09 January, 2010, 03:49:35 pm »
I'm getting really peed off here in sunny SW20. Since the dump last week we've had virtually nothing. Most depressing.

SiL in Kent is officially snowed in apparently. Down a steep farm track and they've had 6" today.

Grrrrr.  Boo hisss.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #1018 on: 09 January, 2010, 03:51:33 pm »
We've had a couple of half-hearted attempts this morning.   The forecast is for cloudy days and snow falling for much of the next two days.   

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1019 on: 09 January, 2010, 03:55:57 pm »
I'm getting really peed off here in sunny SW20. Since the dump last week we've had virtually nothing. Most depressing.

SiL in Kent is officially snowed in apparently. Down a steep farm track and they've had 6" today.

Grrrrr.  Boo hisss.

When one of the earlier falls arrived, I texted my son in Helsinki to say that his sister, in Maidstone, was snowed in. He reported this to the assembled company who were firstly surprised that Southern England should have snow, and then derisive that a mere 6" should be described as "snowed in".

« Reply #1020 on: 09 January, 2010, 04:00:10 pm »
It's sleeting in Stockwell and feels really rather cold. Just got in from pottering about on the bike round main roads (that are all clear)

Edit: 'Tis proper snow now.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1021 on: 09 January, 2010, 04:12:38 pm »

Grrrrr.  Boo hisss.

Look outside now! :)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1022 on: 09 January, 2010, 06:19:27 pm »
After 20 attempts, a glass of port and two glasses of wine, Miss Z and I managed the Black Run in the dark tonight  :thumbsup:  It's a 3' wide path with trees on one side and a cold stream on the other, a tight bend and a small uphill section so you have to carry enough speed through the bend to get over the "hump" and onto the final whoop-de-whoops.  1/8 mile in all, and we done it perfect apart from a bit of powder snow in the face.

Gmaps Pedometer
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1023 on: 09 January, 2010, 07:09:43 pm »
We had some luvli sno for our wander back from Sutton.  But it seems to have lost interest now...
Getting there...

Chris S

« Reply #1024 on: 09 January, 2010, 07:21:41 pm »
<2010>
Something's going to happen. Something wonderful
</2010>

A THAW!!  :thumbsup:

Temperature has hopped up to +1 after being -2 all day, it's raining steadily, and there's a sound in the garden I haven't heard for a week. Dripping. Huzzah!