Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 633368 times)

simonp

Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #1025 on: 09 January, 2010, 07:25:26 pm »
Still just below zero here.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #1026 on: 09 January, 2010, 08:32:57 pm »
-4C here at the moment with occasional snow flurries....
Looks like the winter tyres may be needed on the road for a 4th week next week. Over 600km on them so far this winter...

« Reply #1027 on: 09 January, 2010, 09:03:00 pm »
4 inches overnight here in the frozen north. 

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1028 on: 09 January, 2010, 09:58:48 pm »
if it weren't frozen would it be more than 4"  :demon:

« Reply #1029 on: 09 January, 2010, 10:05:24 pm »
if it weren't frozen would it be more than 4"  :demon:

Did I say four inches?  I really meant two feet.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1030 on: 09 January, 2010, 10:10:12 pm »
I see, you actually meant TWENTY four inches ;D

« Reply #1031 on: 09 January, 2010, 11:28:42 pm »
Snow's been lovely all day in Southend.  And we had pre-bought tickets to Avatar  :-\

Other than the really gritted roads, all roads have a layer of snow on them.  The previously iced roads are now ice with snow on top, but mostly that lovely white ice.

I've been out for a ride this evening, really good fun.  That road the other day that had had 7 accidents in it is now closed.  I ignored the signs and rode it anyway.  The downhill section, iced road with an inch of snow on the top, I got a good 15+mph  :smug:

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1032 on: 10 January, 2010, 07:58:14 am »
We are back at embra airport again hoping to make it to chambery today :-S
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #1033 on: 10 January, 2010, 08:31:54 am »
Nearly two feet of snow here (as measured against the back door to the garage).  Depth would have been more impressive if the lower layers haven't been compressed into a solid block.  No snow yesterday, but the temp did fall to -11ºC last night.

All this in the NE of Scotland...

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1034 on: 10 January, 2010, 10:03:39 am »
Temperature 0°C here today in slushy Saarfend. There's been a slow thaw overnight, there's been less snow than was forecast and I don't think the wind was as strong either.

Is this the beginning of the end of this cold spell, AKA The Great Freeze of 2009-2010?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1035 on: 10 January, 2010, 10:18:46 am »
We've been told that due to ongoing weather in chambery the earliest we are likely to be boarding is 12 - that's if it gets better :-(. We'd have been better staying at home, at least we'd be getting some skiing!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #1036 on: 10 January, 2010, 11:36:06 am »
No snow in Reading, & it's turning slushy now.

And the gutter's fallen off at the back of the house. It had been ripped loose at one end when the neighbour's gutter broke, & has now broken off. :( Ah well, she's got someone coming to have a look at hers. He can fix mine when he does hers.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #1037 on: 10 January, 2010, 11:57:59 am »
Yes, I've just been out, and along the same footways as I was walking on yesterday, and what was rock solid, sheets of solid ice yesterday, is very slushy and crunchy and well on its way to becoming water again.

The last forecast I looked at had the temperatures around London up just above zero, day and night, for the next week or so, so presumably that means most of the snow and ice will disappear in the next few days, unless the forecast changes, again.

Having said that, on my way back home, there was a brief flurry of very fine snow, just enough to lightly cover the front of my coat, but not enough to settle on the ground.

On the plus side, if this happens, my studded tyres are sure to arrive very soon. :-\ ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1038 on: 10 January, 2010, 12:09:24 pm »
We've had light snow for several hours now.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #1039 on: 10 January, 2010, 12:39:13 pm »
Oh, FFS. Even more now.

And I've never moaned that it's "too" hot in the summer, it just ain't fair.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #1040 on: 10 January, 2010, 12:55:13 pm »
We're up to a toasty 1C here in Derby - the snow on the ground is thinning quite quickly, which I assume is 'cos it's mostly been nice dry flakes rather than the usual fat soggy stuff.
And good riddance says I  :thumbsup:

« Reply #1041 on: 10 January, 2010, 03:21:51 pm »
The last forecast I looked at had the temperatures around London up just above zero, day and night, for the next week or so, so presumably that means most of the snow and ice will disappear in the next few days, unless the forecast changes, again.
Here, the forecast is for +2 to +3 C peaks, & -2 to -3 lows. Melt a bit & gets very slippery, freeze into a glassy sheet: repeat.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

border-rider

« Reply #1042 on: 10 January, 2010, 03:25:14 pm »
Lots of sno on the ground still here, but the temperature is above freezing.  The sink in the bathroom is now draining; the pipe outside has been frozen all week :)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1043 on: 10 January, 2010, 03:36:53 pm »
[wicked witch of the east (coast)] It's melting, it's melting![/wicked witch of the east (coast)]
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1044 on: 10 January, 2010, 03:53:36 pm »
No snow in Reading, & it's turning slushy now.

And the gutter's fallen off at the back of the house. It had been ripped loose at one end when the neighbour's gutter broke, & has now broken off. :( Ah well, she's got someone coming to have a look at hers. He can fix mine when he does hers.

Steeply pitched roof?  It's a common problem.  You need those little snow fences along the edge of the tiles to hold it in place.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1045 on: 10 January, 2010, 06:57:53 pm »
On another forum I use someone is complaining they're stuck at Chambery airport trying to get back to Scotland! And she says that even if you do get there, they'll probably just put you in the hotel nearest the airport because of all the big snow.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #1046 on: 10 January, 2010, 08:36:17 pm »
On another forum I use someone is complaining they're stuck at Chambery airport trying to get back to Scotland! And she says that even if you do get there, they'll probably just put you in the hotel nearest the airport because of all the big snow.

Had a text from my cousin who was flying from Southampton to Chambery this morning  -  He's actually ended up in Milan - at some point tonight a coach is going to try to get them the rest of  the way. I don't know what the state of the alpine passes are but I wouldn't fancy it myself
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #1047 on: 10 January, 2010, 10:53:16 pm »
Last time I went to Chambery, I rode there.

« Reply #1048 on: 10 January, 2010, 11:43:25 pm »
Snowing again here.
Its been snowing/raining abit for most of the day. Mainly bits of rain.
I want alot more snow, don't fancy getting up early to go to college.
Ill probably have to clear the patio and drive again though.

Don't question. It makes people angry.

« Reply #1049 on: 11 January, 2010, 06:51:54 am »
Surprisingly, given that things seemed to be melting yesterday, we seem to have had another dump of snow last night in Croydon.  I'm not sure exactly how much, but looking out the window, enough to replace the layer of snow on the car, which had almost gone yesterday evening.  Probably only an inch or two at most.
Actually, it is rocket science.