Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 633583 times)

jogler

• mojo operandi
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #1250 on: 15 January, 2010, 03:06:14 pm »
We have had an extensive thaw over the last 12 hours with several hours of varying precipitation(heard that  word on the radio this morning :) ) this morning &  much of the snow has dissipated.There is still a great deal of ice underfoot but this too is now noticeably diminishing.
The thaw appears to be too rapid  for some of the drains hereabouts to cope with & two parts of the primary road to & thru' the village have begun to flood.The stream has also swollen to look more like a river again.
I imagine flooding could be the next weather issue with which those living in vulnerable & affected areas are troubled with.
Butterfly remarked upthread ref the extent (page 83 IIRC)  to which we are able to rabbit-on about the weather.I think the topic will require many more pages before it comment on the current spell is exhausted ::-)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1251 on: 15 January, 2010, 03:11:38 pm »
SNO all gone from Southend  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

There's still a big pile on Priory Park. Beginning to turn a bit yellow, though...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

border-rider

« Reply #1252 on: 15 January, 2010, 03:12:27 pm »
I imagine flooding could be the next weather issue with which those living in vulnerable & affected areas are troubled with.

I would agree.  We have very heavy rain forecast for tomorrow, and the ground is more than waterlogged already.  It's going to run-off like crazy.  I think flooding is to be expected...

border-rider

« Reply #1253 on: 15 January, 2010, 03:12:42 pm »
Beginning to turn a bit yellow, though...

it's the Huskies, you know...

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #1254 on: 15 January, 2010, 04:21:35 pm »
And our bin has been emptied !  Yay !  :thumbsup:
Aero but not dynamic

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1255 on: 15 January, 2010, 06:22:27 pm »
And I spent an hour clearing compacted ice from the front of the office, sweeping up melt water and laying grit, so that people could get in and out without breaking their necks.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #1256 on: 15 January, 2010, 06:43:37 pm »
There's still a big pile on Priory Park. Beginning to turn a bit yellow, though...
Honestly, Wow, couldn't you wait till you got home.

I have put the Roughstuff (big tyres, like riding along in armchair) away, and am back on the little skinny, whippet Holdsworth SS now, as nothing snowy left to speak of in SE London.  A few teeny weensy bits of horrid slushy stuff which I have to wheel the Holdsworth through, after attempting a ride through on it once and experiencing that WHEEEEEE! feeling as the wheels decided they might attempt to part company with the rest of the bike.  I have no idea how I managed to remain on it and keep cycling- Practice I guess- A few days ago I got  a round of applause from the guys in a traffic jammed car behind me, when the snow was coming down heavy, as I managed a beautiful long skid in the snow and perfect recovery, momentary hold,  and carry on as though nothing had happened.   They hadn't seen the practice runs on previous days when I and the bike ended up several yards apart, both prone. All I can say is- it's a good job the below zero temperature on those occasions meant I was wearing many layers of protective clothing.

« Reply #1257 on: 15 January, 2010, 08:15:26 pm »
Beginning to turn a bit yellow, though...

it's the Huskies, you know...
Dreamed I was an eskimo . . .
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #1258 on: 15 January, 2010, 08:21:31 pm »
Dreamed I was an eskimo . . .

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/CmVvgo1wxh4&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/CmVvgo1wxh4&rel=1</a>

Snow cones and sprinkles, anyone?  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Jakob

« Reply #1259 on: 15 January, 2010, 11:37:52 pm »
70cm at Whistler the last 24hours. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Looks like I'll finally get a powder day tomorrow, woot!

« Reply #1260 on: 16 January, 2010, 01:25:36 pm »
The heavy rain has now managed to wash the remaining snow away.  :thumbsup:

It's a truly mighty Thor.

Not "thaw" as the speed at which it has happened, is more god like.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #1261 on: 16 January, 2010, 01:37:37 pm »

Indeed it has. I've just been out to the garage, and found a number of "bicycles" - what are these machines used for??

« Reply #1262 on: 16 January, 2010, 01:40:45 pm »

Indeed it has. I've just been out to the garage, and found a number of "bicycles" - what are these machines used for??

I'm also going to use my bike in a bit.  :smug:

It's been so long... I fear for my bum getting a little tender on the saddle.  :o
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1263 on: 16 January, 2010, 01:42:06 pm »

They are designed for donating to Worthy Causes. O:-)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #1264 on: 16 January, 2010, 01:54:10 pm »
The forecast looks good for Tamworth and surrounding area tomorrow.  Sunshine, max 7 c & a light south westerley.  I'm looking foward to getting out and seeing just how bad my legs are  :)
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #1265 on: 16 January, 2010, 03:57:41 pm »
I've just purchased a shovel and two bags of sharp sand, so that I'm ready for the next SNOpocalypse.

That should completely hex any chances of it snowing until next winter, then.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #1266 on: 16 January, 2010, 04:00:40 pm »
I've just purchased a shovel and two bags of sharp sand, so that I'm ready for the next SNOpocalypse.

That should completely hex any chances of it snowing until next winter, then.

That's bloody good of you old chap  :thumbsup:
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #1267 on: 16 January, 2010, 05:29:57 pm »
Just like to add that We have NO snow  :demon:

border-rider

« Reply #1268 on: 16 January, 2010, 05:41:06 pm »

I would agree.  We have very heavy rain forecast for tomorrow, and the ground is more than waterlogged already.  It's going to run-off like crazy.  I think flooding is to be expected...

No kidding

Our little stream is about 100 m wide and the middle of the village has a new lake of quite startling proportions.  The land I was running on 3 days ago is under a good metre of water...

« Reply #1269 on: 16 January, 2010, 06:08:29 pm »

No kidding

Our little stream is about 100 m wide and the middle of the village has a new lake of quite startling proportions.  The land I was running on 3 days ago is under a good metre of water...

DIY triathlon on your doorstep then.
All you need now is a bike.
I can lend you one if you don't your own  ;)

border-rider

« Reply #1270 on: 16 January, 2010, 06:30:24 pm »
OK, thanks.  Most of  mine have either too few gears or too many wheels for Tri ;)

« Reply #1271 on: 16 January, 2010, 11:54:48 pm »
OK, thanks.  Most of  mine have either too few gears or too many wheels for Tri ;)

So, analysing that, you have a Chopper and a tricycle.
Are you 10 years old ?

;D

« Reply #1272 on: 17 January, 2010, 09:58:13 am »

I'd almost forgot that it actually got that dark outside.
That snow really did make the nights seem almost like day.

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #1273 on: 17 January, 2010, 10:08:26 am »
And now the sun is in the sky like some kind of huge yellow, er, thing.  :D

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #1274 on: 18 January, 2010, 12:28:31 pm »
Some people think this Winter may be part of a pattern.

Europe to experience decades of artic winters?