Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 637621 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #1325 on: 30 January, 2010, 12:30:38 pm »
Enough snow to keep me indoors so far ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #1326 on: 30 January, 2010, 12:46:19 pm »
Clear blue sky here in Chelmsford. As it's snowd London way, does that mean I'm going to get wet when I go out in a bit?
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #1327 on: 01 February, 2010, 09:57:19 am »
Another "wafer thin" dusting of snow in Croydon overnight.  I imagine it'll last as long as the snow did on Saturday, ie not very long since the sun is out.
Actually, it is rocket science.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1328 on: 01 February, 2010, 09:59:21 am »
Not so much snow as sleet a few miles west, but pretty icy for the first few km, with patches of it all the way to Clapham.  Pretty much OK after that, but it wasn't the easiest of rides.
Getting there...

« Reply #1329 on: 01 February, 2010, 10:48:10 am »
Aiiieeeeee!

100 pages will be doable at this feckin' rate. 
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

simonp

« Reply #1330 on: 01 February, 2010, 11:01:02 am »
I fell off on black ice this morning.  I didn't have the winter tyres on.  :facepalm:

I had only just gone a few 100 yards from home.  Decided it was too dodgy to continue so went home and got taxi.

Driver told me about a 5-car pile up on my normal route to work, and there were two cars in the hedge on airport way.  He also said an HGV had gone "over" a car at Milton Rd/Gilbert Rd and he didn't think the occupant of the car had survived.

Cambridge is a grit free zone, it seems.

« Reply #1331 on: 01 February, 2010, 12:21:25 pm »
We woke up to a thin layer of fresh snow this morning. Mostly gone now, just patches left in the shade, & it's beautiful out. The sheets I hung on the line (while standing in snow) at 10 am are dry, & have that fresh outdoor dried smell. Lovely.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1332 on: 01 February, 2010, 01:06:37 pm »
I had a very frosty walk round Hockley Woods with the dog.

When we returned to the car, the sun shining on the driver's door had made it hot.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1333 on: 01 February, 2010, 02:05:16 pm »
I had snow for the first 2/3 of a mile or so, but after that it was snow free, including most of the Commons, since they were generally in sunshine.  The snow seemed thin enough that the cars didn't compact it into a hard uncycleable layer, but not so thin that it disappeared immediately.

There were some icy patches near where the Tooting Bec Common cycle path joins up with Cavendish Road, but they were easily avoided, and bugger all further in towards central London.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #1334 on: 01 February, 2010, 04:16:32 pm »
I fell off on black ice this morning.  I didn't have the winter tyres on.  :facepalm:

I had only just gone a few 100 yards from home.  Decided it was too dodgy to continue so went home and got taxi.

Driver told me about a 5-car pile up on my normal route to work, and there were two cars in the hedge on airport way.  He also said an HGV had gone "over" a car at Milton Rd/Gilbert Rd and he didn't think the occupant of the car had survived.

Cambridge is a grit free zone, it seems.

If you look at the Cambridge Evening News web-site, all the drivers are blaming the crashes on a lack of grit...

..nothing to do with them driving too fast and too close for the road conditions of course ...  ;)

... unlike the loons on my commute in this morning.  >:(
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

simonp

« Reply #1335 on: 01 February, 2010, 04:23:12 pm »
The grip levels were such that well under 10mph was too fast, in my case.  Of course, to end up in a hedge off Airport Way requires a lot more than that.  One of the cars in the hedge was a Boxter.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #1336 on: 02 February, 2010, 02:18:05 pm »
Snow flurries on the way home last evening - we still have quite a lot of snow on the Peaks unmelted since the first onslaught. Makes for some chilly rides home on occasion.

« Reply #1337 on: 02 February, 2010, 02:41:10 pm »
3-4 cms here (Scot borders) this morning - made for a very pleasant trail run at lunchtime.  Heavy snow forecast for tomorrow evening  ;D
"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

« Reply #1338 on: 03 February, 2010, 03:20:28 pm »
Snowing quite hard in South Manchester.
I don't think that it will cause any problems- 5-a-side should still be on.

pdm

« Reply #1339 on: 03 February, 2010, 03:29:39 pm »
Heavy snow just starting in Chesterfield now (15h30)
Lets hope everybody panics and goes home early...  ;)

« Reply #1340 on: 03 February, 2010, 03:36:14 pm »
Looking at the weather radar, forecasts, and warnings, it looks like London is just on the edge of this weather, so there's a slight risk we may get some snow, but I reckon it'll be too warm, and by the time it hits us, it'll just be good'ol UK drizzle. :-\

It doesn't look like I'm going to need my (still brand new) studded tyres yet.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #1341 on: 03 February, 2010, 03:39:11 pm »
Been trying quite hard here on the Fylde for about an hour but it isn't sticking. Wrong kind of snow I think.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #1342 on: 03 February, 2010, 04:14:29 pm »
Scratch that. The snow has now got it's act together big time and building up nicely.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1343 on: 03 February, 2010, 05:34:38 pm »
There was the tiniest flurry here at lunchtime, but the temperature was far too high for it to have done anything even if it had bothered to precipitate properly.

It's not warm, but it's mild enough for me to dispense with a fleece: it's just a Nightvision over my jumper. Just a hint of drizzle in the air.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #1344 on: 03 February, 2010, 09:33:56 pm »
We have got snow.  And, hiding underneath it, lots and lots of ice.  I chickened out of riding this am :(

pdm

« Reply #1345 on: 03 February, 2010, 09:37:41 pm »
Heavy snow all the way home over the Peaks. Not on snow tyres so a bit slow - 1h40 for the 20 miles. Faster than the (very few) crawling cagers, though... Lovely ride home in the dead quiet glowing white landscape.

« Reply #1346 on: 03 February, 2010, 09:41:00 pm »
It kept on doing big flakes earlier today, but the rain pwned it. Phewww!
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #1347 on: 03 February, 2010, 10:10:22 pm »
Managed an hour or so of the (Allegedly!) white stuff up in  Kendal this afternoon.  Back to Lancaster and there's no more than wet and slushy rain.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #1348 on: 03 February, 2010, 11:54:31 pm »
Snowing quite hard in South Manchester.
I don't think that it will cause any problems- 5-a-side should still be on.

Wrong.
Powerleague rang me to cancel.
I thought they were being too cautious but, when I slipped my way to the pub (there still had to be a post-match analysis bonding session), I realised that they'd got it right.
Bummer though:- I wanted the exercise.

The snow has now stopped and what remains will be gone by morning.

« Reply #1349 on: 04 February, 2010, 08:07:23 am »
Unfortunately it hasn't gone here in York, just turned to ice. 

Worst time of the year, mid Jan to mid Feb IMO.  My last good bike ride was 31st December :(  Other than that just shopping and utility journeys.  A nasty cold bug didn't help.

At least you get noticeably more daylight near March and even a hint that Spring is a possibility. 
Move Faster and Bake Things