Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 636889 times)

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #1550 on: 26 November, 2010, 09:07:42 am »
We should have started a new thread; "It's snowing 2010/11" or this thread is going to become unmanageable in coming years.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1551 on: 26 November, 2010, 10:12:33 am »
It's proper snowing here now. Looks v pretty, still a PITA though.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #1552 on: 26 November, 2010, 10:16:32 am »
We should have started a new thread; "It's snowing 2010/11" or this thread is going to become unmanageable in coming years.

BY 7010 AD it will probably consist of December 10th - snowing, December 11th snowing, December 12th snowing ,.. August 3rd still snowing and so on for about 20,000 years. Will get a tad tedious.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1553 on: 26 November, 2010, 10:20:55 am »
But on the plus side we should have Clarion's review of his studded tyres.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #1554 on: 26 November, 2010, 11:06:52 am »
Thing about the Morecambe bay area is that you get to see the pretty snow across the mud in the Lake District but it doesn't come here for fear of turning into a lighter coloured Mud.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1555 on: 26 November, 2010, 11:13:55 am »
But on the plus side we should have Clarion's review of his studded tyres.

AD7010?  You have more faith in Wiggle than I ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #1556 on: 26 November, 2010, 11:16:54 am »
<sigh>

Turned the TV goggle box on for the news earlier.   Snow!   Chaos!    Schools closed!  with the reporter and headteacher standing in an area of a light dusting.

HTFU!!!!!

« Reply #1557 on: 26 November, 2010, 11:18:20 am »
20 miles north of Marble Arch and I've just walked to newsagent - tee shirt, trekkies, light shoes.

Got back frozen to the core.  How I got to 65 I'll never know.

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #1558 on: 26 November, 2010, 01:20:23 pm »
Bah. First week since early July that I haven't done the big commute at all.

Ice. Just sod off already!
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

« Reply #1559 on: 26 November, 2010, 04:20:55 pm »
Just started snowing here at Portbury Dock on the southern edge of Bristol, its not pitching yet though !

border-rider

« Reply #1560 on: 26 November, 2010, 04:27:56 pm »
Been snowing here since mid-morning,  sticking in places.  Could be an interesting ride this evening :)

« Reply #1561 on: 26 November, 2010, 04:55:25 pm »
its not pitching yet though !
........it is now !

« Reply #1562 on: 26 November, 2010, 04:58:55 pm »
Just started snowing here at Portbury Dock on the southern edge of Bristol, its not pitching yet though !

If any of you use iGoogle as your browser home page, it is possible to get a Met Office gadget on there, I have mine set to show the rainfall radar. The big blob over your location is then rather obvious  ;D  It has come down from Wales.
"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"

« Reply #1563 on: 26 November, 2010, 06:19:51 pm »
The #uksnow Map is interesting.  It's uses Crowd Sourcing and Twitter to build up a map based on people's reports.  It seems to work.

(Not currently helped by a lot of people using the hashtag #uksnow, who've obviously never heard of the website, so haven't included a postcode area or n/10. :-\)
Actually, it is rocket science.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1564 on: 26 November, 2010, 06:29:50 pm »
Apparently this weather is just a prelude to the blizzards that have been predicted for Tuesday and Wednesday next week.  :-\

« Reply #1565 on: 26 November, 2010, 06:38:27 pm »
The #uksnow Map is interesting.  It's uses Crowd Sourcing and Twitter to build up a map based on people's reports.  It seems to work.

Tim, as you are a scientist, its worth debating the validity of crowdsourcing in this situation.
Surely there will be a whole lot of really serious snow missed out on maps like that  - as virtually no-one lives in vast tracts of the Highlands for instance? Conversely, if there are a few flakes in London then that part of the map will be dense with reports.

I'm prepared to be proved wrong here - just trying to provoke a sensible debate.

ps. before anyone chimes in that people DO live in the Highlands - of course they do. But settlements are in the glens, not high up on the Rannoch Moor or the Cairngorms, and there are big sporting estates.

« Reply #1566 on: 26 November, 2010, 06:48:09 pm »

Tim, as you are a scientist, its worth debating the validity of crowdsourcing in this situation.
Surely there will be a whole lot of really serious snow missed out on maps like that  - as virtually no-one lives in vast tracts of the Highlands for instance? Conversely, if there are a few flakes in London then that part of the map will be dense with reports.

I'm prepared to be proved wrong here - just trying to provoke a sensible debate.

I totally agree with you, and it clearly shouldn't be used for any rigorous measurement of the conditions.  In an ideal world, you could normalise the data to a degree using population density maps, but I suspect that would need a much greater number of tweets to have a chance of working

On the whole though, it does give some additional idea of the snow currently falling.  Maps like the one Wendy linked to are not always freely available, and I suspect the radars aren't necessarily easily capable of distinguishing between snow and rain (or possibly don't even detect snow).

It's just another source of data, and like any source, has to be used with some degree of care.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1567 on: 26 November, 2010, 07:22:57 pm »
Fans of exotic sources of weather data may be interested in this:

http://clueless.aaisp.net.uk/stormtrack.cgi

Storm tracking by ADSL connections falling over.  Not much to look at now, and the same population density issue applies, but it does get a bit interesting when there's some proper Weather moving across the country.

« Reply #1568 on: 26 November, 2010, 07:31:31 pm »
Fans of exotic sources of weather data may be interested in this:

http://clueless.aaisp.net.uk/stormtrack.cgi

Storm tracking by ADSL connections falling over.  Not much to look at now, and the same population density issue applies, but it does get a bit interesting when there's some proper Weather moving across the country.

Awesome, another website to add to my 'useful geeky sites' folder  ;D

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1569 on: 26 November, 2010, 10:51:45 pm »
<sigh>

Turned the TV goggle box on for the news earlier.   Snow!   Chaos!    Schools closed!  with the reporter and headteacher standing in an area of a light dusting.

HTFU!!!!!
Are you still in shorts and short sleeves?

(This is a question related to your hatred of being too hot, not a really sad perv question about what you're wearing).
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #1570 on: 26 November, 2010, 11:11:11 pm »
Damn it thanks to snow unable to get out 2 morro morning for trek over Brecon Beacons
Climb every mountain, onwards and upwards.
Next event:- ??????

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #1571 on: 26 November, 2010, 11:56:51 pm »
Very snowy in York.  The question is, do I nick Dearly_Beloved's bike with studded tyres to go to the station to meet boab, or do I hoof it?  Decisions, decisions.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #1572 on: 27 November, 2010, 12:11:19 am »
Very snowy in York.
Ah - so it could be fun coming home then...
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #1573 on: 27 November, 2010, 12:17:21 am »
boab is coming to york?

I don't think studded tyres guarantee non-slipping . . .
<i>Marmite slave</i>

gordon taylor

« Reply #1574 on: 27 November, 2010, 05:22:59 am »
There's snow in lowland Staffordshire this morning.
That's a pleasant surprise.  :thumbsup:

Expect me to fall off while dicking around on my "I am invincible" studded tyres a bit later.   ::-)