Author Topic: ACME Winter Brevet Populaire Series  (Read 72644 times)

Re: ACME Winter Brevet Populaire Series
« Reply #425 on: 04 December, 2020, 05:20:15 pm »

The Pincey Brook ford, after Hatfield Broad Oak is very deep, with the footbridge and its approaches under a lot of water.

Blimey, I rode through there earlier a couple of days ago and the water was well down below road level...

I think I’m also going to be in the “see what it’s like in the morning” camp. I was planning on riding the recumbent tomorrow and I’m shaky enough on it when conditions are fine, though on the plus side at least I can get through a moderate amount of flooding without getting my feet wet  ;D

« Reply #426 on: 04 December, 2020, 05:38:28 pm »
Good luck tomorrow. Hopefully not too icy ❄️ and everyone stays upright. Think I’ll wait till tomorrow afternoon for my non audax outing.

« Reply #427 on: 04 December, 2020, 05:41:00 pm »
I've got a fully gritted ECE route sorted for the morning. Return ECE will be a tad more picturesque.

I'm happy to ride the SAE in reverse if it's still looking potentially icy at the start. Will take that as it comes, so appreciate any updates you might have on conditions at the start Tomsk  :thumbsup:

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

GdS

• I have come here to chew carrots and kick ass
« Reply #428 on: 04 December, 2020, 05:45:09 pm »
I've got a fully gritted ECE route sorted for the morning. Return ECE will be a tad more picturesque.

I'm happy to ride the SAE in reverse if it's still looking potentially icy at the start. Will take that as it comes, so appreciate any updates you might have on conditions at the start Tomsk  :thumbsup:

Haven't had an entry for the ECE from you yet but got 2 others (unless you are not who I think you are)

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #429 on: 04 December, 2020, 05:47:16 pm »
UPDATED GPS FILES FOR FLOODS AND ICE

I have updated the GPS files on tomsk.co.uk, here, to include both the flood-free route (well, biggest-flood-avoidance route) Tomsk described, as well as the probably-ice-free reverse route.

https://www.tomsk.co.uk/stansted-airport-express/2020/

You should be able to load all three onto a GPS at the same time — take care to note the names you'll see on-screen, as there's only a character's difference.

There's also a minor tweak to the proper route to account for the first info-control relocating back to its usual position after a hiatus down the road last year.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #430 on: 04 December, 2020, 05:50:44 pm »
I have just driven the back way from Terling to Great Leighs and I could have sailed most of it.

There is a lot of debris around as well.

If I wake up tomorrow morning and it's snowing like it was this morning, I will be returning to bed.  If it continues to rain, I will be thinking hard as well. 
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #431 on: 04 December, 2020, 06:08:21 pm »

Haven't had an entry for the ECE from you yet but got 2 others (unless you are not who I think you are)

It'll be on its way shortly ... I had to liaise with Bernster

GdS

« Reply #432 on: 04 December, 2020, 06:13:34 pm »
got it!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #433 on: 04 December, 2020, 06:38:38 pm »
UPDATED GPS FILES FOR FLOODS AND ICE

Thank you  :thumbsup:

« Reply #434 on: 04 December, 2020, 06:41:28 pm »
I'm watching this with a bit of concern as it's a fair way over (by car, sorry, no ECE for me), and if both floods and ice are a worry and people with more local knowledge are opting out, that's giving me cause for concern. I did need a rowing boat on my last event (the Robert Boyle tribute from Reading to Oxford and back, which was on the wettest day of year so far or something).

I'll watch for any updates.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #435 on: 04 December, 2020, 07:12:01 pm »
I've managed to drive out to inspect the flooding at some of the most likely locations this afternoon. There's quite a bit of deep-ish floods (8-10 inches) after Terling (the mini-ford, normally dry, currently fast flowing, though the footbridge might just be reachable), after High Easter, and later on,  back towards Witham either side of Ranks Green.

The Pincey Brook ford, after Hatfield Broad Oak is very deep, with the footbridge and its approaches under a lot of water. It might have subsided a bit to be useable tomorrow (it takes run-off from the airport which causes rapid rises in level) but the B road alternative described on the route sheet might be a wise move: essentially continue from HBO up to L @ the Four Ashes X at Takeley, follow the B1256 to Thremhall.

The gritters are out this evening, which doesn't look very promising. Plan B might be to reverse the route, taking the B road (Faulkbourne road) to Braintree, then the Dunmow B1256 to Rayne to pick up the Great Saling lane. With any luck the frost should have lifted by then ...

I'd already optomised my route to miss out the B road but was going to use Bush End which is a bridge over the brook.  Any thoughts on what that will be like?
Regards,

Joergen

rob

« Reply #436 on: 04 December, 2020, 07:29:29 pm »
You can’t get into Rayne from my direction.  It’s flooded just after the roundabout for the dual carriageway.  If you go anti clockwise and into Braintree before heading towards Bardfield I suspect it will be OK.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #437 on: 04 December, 2020, 07:38:08 pm »
You can’t get into Rayne from my direction.  It’s flooded just after the roundabout for the dual carriageway.  If you go anti clockwise and into Braintree before heading towards Bardfield I suspect it will be OK.

I drove through that flood to get onto the route - about the same depth as elsewhere, 8-10 inches. The deepest was after High Easter, quite a bow-wave at very low speed, scariest at Terling, as the water is very fast flowing, though not quite as deep I think ...

Be tempted to ride my tourer/commuter with wellies, on flat pedals, if I was actually riding tomorrow. I think the Straggler did that on the Burford Bumble 200 a few years ago in similar Biblical rain & floods.

GdS

« Reply #438 on: 04 December, 2020, 08:50:36 pm »
I'm out for the 3R perm this weekend  :( There must be a better weekend this month (hopes)

Best wishes to those on the SAE it's a great route  :thumbsup:

« Reply #439 on: 04 December, 2020, 09:43:16 pm »
Sorry, but I think that, on balance, I'm out. It's too far to come and see what the local roads are like, and deep water with possible pot-holes below doesn't sound attractive. Hope it goes well for those who ride. Sorry to be missing another after the year we've had, but there's always another day.

« Reply #440 on: 05 December, 2020, 07:32:46 am »
Tomsk not sure if it's on the route but Guithavon Valley is currently shut but looks like you'll be able to get by on a bike at the Guithavon Street end

« Reply #441 on: 05 December, 2020, 12:54:21 pm »
Well it didn’t ice up here over in Hertfordshire, so hopefully ok out your way. Sun 🌞 as clouds broke apart and now blue skies. Enjoy.

rob

« Reply #442 on: 05 December, 2020, 02:38:39 pm »
I talked myself out of riding and got up late.  I rode over to Witham seeing the small groups heading out.  I got there as the last group was about to set off.  Technically I could have ridden but I had already promised to be back for lunch.

The weather is, of course, fine.  Some of the lanes are a bit wet and there was have been the odd detour at the Western end of the route.

« Reply #443 on: 05 December, 2020, 03:41:29 pm »
Mistake to have dropped out then. Sorry all, especially Tomsk.

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #444 on: 05 December, 2020, 03:59:07 pm »
I did see some snow on the grass by the side of the road in the fields from Sudbury to Braintree on my DIY today but the roads were fine if a bit wet!
ACME - Suffolk Branch

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #445 on: 05 December, 2020, 04:42:35 pm »
We had ice here in Chelmsford when I got up at 06:30 - but given that was only 2 hours of sleep I didn't need too much persuasion to drop Tomsk a text saying I wasn't coming over. 

I opted for a ride in to the alpine section South of Chelmsford to avoid the most of the flooding, still had to wade a few sections of high up field run off.  River Chelmer is well onto the flood plains at the moment...   https://www.facebook.com/simon.d.wells/videos/10218748136637669

Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #446 on: 05 December, 2020, 05:57:47 pm »
What a glorious day for a ride.  Despite the predictions of doom and gloom the weather turned out nice and sunny and from 9am onwards warm enough to be ice free.  Most of the flooding had subsided. The biggest challenges were the road into Takeley using the original route.  Pincey Brook looked daunting but was actually quite doable.  The Railway bridge just before Takeley proved much more challenging.  I arrived to see on rider on the far side, still knee deep (off his bike) having avoided the deepest part.  Fortunately I noticed a Bridleway sign just before the bridge (Flitch Way Country Park) so was able to avoid getting my feet wet by riding up the old railway line (slightly muddy in places) to the Takeley control point.

I took just under 6 hours to complete the ride, declining to stop and consuming just two bottles of water and a protein bar.

I found I'd got a very slow puncture riding through Great Notely. Rear tyre was down to 30 psi (35c tyre) which explained why I'd been finding it hard going since Takeley.

All in all it was a great day out.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

« Reply #447 on: 05 December, 2020, 06:44:28 pm »
I’d half convinced myself to DNS today but I’m so glad I didn’t. It turned out to be a lovely day for a ride - my longest on the recumbent by quite a long stretch :thumbsup:

The only really bad flood I noticed was also at the Flitch Way bridge in Takeley, which I managed to get through by clambering along the verge - luckily I was wearing sealskinz socks and goretex boots so my feet stayed dry. And I could avoided it by following Tom’s “in case of floods” route option!

Stopped for elevenses at the Snug at High Easter and lunch at the cafe at Thremhall (where I’d arrived 15 minutes after they were supposed to close, but luckily they were happy to rustle up a quick sausage sarnie and a coffee for me :thumbsup:)

All in all a great day out - thanks Tom  :)

GdS

« Reply #448 on: 05 December, 2020, 06:49:21 pm »
We had ice here in Chelmsford when I got up at 06:30 - but given that was only 2 hours of sleep I didn't need too much persuasion to drop Tomsk a text saying I wasn't coming over. 

I opted for a ride in to the alpine section South of Chelmsford to avoid the most of the flooding, still had to wade a few sections of high up field run off.  River Chelmer is well onto the flood plains at the moment...   https://www.facebook.com/simon.d.wells/videos/10218748136637669

EEEK! I'm riding Papermill tomorrow on the 3Rs perm  :o

« Reply #449 on: 05 December, 2020, 08:56:05 pm »

EEEK! I'm riding Papermill tomorrow on the 3Rs perm  :o
My ece went to paper mill lock at 8.30am this morning. The little Baddow side was flooded and at axle height. Once I got to the bridge the sight of the car submerged to. It's windows at the shallow end was enough to put me off wading in 3ft of water. Hammond Lane, from Boreham also flooded, and you can't see the winds in the road, so easy to fall in the ditch. Hoe Mill lock at Ulting has a walkway, but the raised 4x4 with snorkel that came from that way had a wet bonnet, so I reckon over 3ft so didn't bother looking for the walkway.
I diverted via Maldon, which added 10k.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...