Author Topic: Aeropress  (Read 5155 times)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Aeropress
« on: 12 January, 2011, 11:19:25 am »

One of my Christmas presents this year was a coffee maker called an Aeropress, much enthused about by Cory from Boingboing and other coffee geeks.

To be fair, it's not espresso - although the coffee that it makes arrives in espresso-like shots and it is made under some pressure, there's no crema on it.  Having said that, topped up with hot water as an Americano, the coffee that this thing makes knocks the spots off anything that I can get out of a filter machine here in the office where it now lives.  I'm mail-ordering packets of Union hand-roasted organic natural spirit and savouring every sip.  It's wonderful.

To get the very best out of an espresso-ground coffee, you need to use water well off the boil - 80 degrees is about right.  For a few quid, you can get a very usable kitchen grade digital thermometer and it's a crucial accessory that ought to come with one of these gadgets.  Fortunately, my Christmas present included one.

In the box, you get 350 paper filters, each of which can be rinsed and reused, so it's easily a year's supply.  You also get a coffee measure, a stirrer and a funnel for oddly shaped cups.  Mine fits fine as you can see.  You can make up to four single shots at a time and I usually make doubles and add a good slosh of hot water.  There's a technique for using it; the coffee must be a fine grind and although you don't leave it to steep, you need to give it a quick stir before putting the plunger in and pressing the syringe together.  Other than that, it's really easy.  Even better, it takes next to no cleaning, just push out the puck of used grounds and rinse through.

If you're into good coffee, this is such a neat idea.  It makes very acceptable espresso-substitute and would be awesome as a campsite luxury when cycle touring.

Recommended  :thumbsup:
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Re: Aeropress
« Reply #1 on: 12 January, 2011, 11:23:03 am »
I've got one too! I like the coffee ground pucks the thing ejects, annoyingly if I miss aim and the thing hits the side of the bin, it explodes over the kitchen floor.

« Reply #2 on: 12 January, 2011, 11:30:27 am »
We have one sat in a cupboard - stepson bought it and stopped using it after a while (hmm, maybe after my complaining about him leaving it lying around in the kitchen, still with coffee grounds in it).

Our 'machine' is still a Presso, bought, erm, maybe 5,6 years ago.

With care, it's possible to get a crema out of the Presso. Bit too bulky and heavy for cycle camping, tho'.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #3 on: 12 January, 2011, 11:36:02 am »
I bought one of these when I worked in an office of tea-drinkers (much to their annoyance). Great coffee every time, and like you say - it's practically self-cleaning. It's no espresso, but it beats the alternatives (a jar of Nescafe or a gritty, bitter cafetiere) hands down.  :thumbsup:

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #4 on: 12 January, 2011, 11:54:22 am »
We've got one of these, though we're more inclined to use a stove-top Bialetti.  Getting the temperature right is important, as Charlotte says.  I must have a look for an appropriate thermometer.

I discovered recently that the supplied funnel is also a useful accessory for loading peppercorns into the grinder   :thumbsup:.
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

« Reply #5 on: 12 January, 2011, 01:00:06 pm »
I think I saw one of them in a sex shop  :o

« Reply #6 on: 12 January, 2011, 01:16:43 pm »
Thanks Charlotte - I saw one of these on a gadget blog (engadget?) and it looked good. I'm a hopeless fool for coffee makers, so I might give one of these a try.

Regarding caffetieres, I bought a stainless steel one before Christmas - double walls mean the coffee stays hot,
and it does not leave bitty grounds in the coffee.

I got suckered into buying a Nescafe Dolce Gusto by a nice lady demoing them in Tesco.
Big coffee pds, plus milk pods to make lattes etc. A whole lot of plastic waste just to make one cup, so environmentally not good.
The water reservoir is pitifully small also, so not a good purchase.

« Reply #7 on: 18 March, 2011, 07:36:06 pm »
The AeroPress and its fervent coffee-loving fans - latimes.com

The home made iron and marble press for the aeropress sounds impressive

World Aeropress Championship

I'm off to play with my 'press dammit!

Recipes  &laquo; World Aeropress Championship

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: 19 March, 2011, 06:40:01 pm »
The AeroPress looks and works like a syringe or simple piston pump (the joke is that it resembles a male enhancement device) and has been described as a cross between a French press and a manual drip brewer.

So that's why some of my colleagues have been giving me funny looks as I wander out to the kitchen with it...  ;D

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #9 on: 17 February, 2012, 03:32:51 pm »
A colleague has an Aeropress and he just let me have a go with it. I'm impressed with the results, even with the filter-grade coffee that I used (I can see that a finer grind would probably give better results). I might have to get one for myself.

Why is temperature so crucial? If I'm making coffee at work, I'm restricted to using the Zip hot tap in the kitchen and I have no idea what temperature the water from that is - though it's clearly somewhat lower than boiling, so it may well be the right temperature anyway.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Euan Uzami

« Reply #10 on: 17 February, 2012, 03:43:41 pm »
It's probably about right. Not entirely boiling.

Question: are you supposed to tamp it, and is it better if you do? I currently do, and can achieve strength and economy that's about on a par with the stove top pot. Not sure whether tamping it is better or worse though, really, haven't done an objective test. Also not sure if i could get away with using less and it would be the same strength.

John Henry

« Reply #11 on: 17 February, 2012, 04:09:02 pm »
After being constantly told how great these things are by literally everyone I ever meet, I've just ordered one.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: 17 February, 2012, 04:09:56 pm »
Why is temperature so crucial? If I'm making coffee at work, I'm restricted to using the Zip hot tap in the kitchen and I have no idea what temperature the water from that is - though it's clearly somewhat lower than boiling, so it may well be the right temperature anyway.

The hot water machine probably puts out something in the 80-85 degree range.  Ours does - I've measured it with a digital thermometer (I know, I know...)

Coincidentally, that's just about perfect.

It's probably about right. Not entirely boiling.

Question: are you supposed to tamp it, and is it better if you do? I currently do, and can achieve strength and economy that's about on a par with the stove top pot. Not sure whether tamping it is better or worse though, really, haven't done an objective test. Also not sure if i could get away with using less and it would be the same strength.

No tamp required IMO.  In fact, just the opposite - I stir it, to make sure the very high coffee/water ratio is as evenly mixed as possible prior to taking the plunge.

citoyen

« Reply #13 on: 17 February, 2012, 04:22:14 pm »
Ours does - I've measured it with a digital thermometer (I know, I know...)

I should have known. ;D

Coincidentally, that's just about perfect.

Excellent!

I stir it, to make sure the very high coffee/water ratio is as evenly mixed as possible prior to taking the plunge.

I did the same - I'd guess that unlike a cafetiere, you really don't want the coffee floating on top of the water when you push the plunger down...

d.

citoyen

« Reply #14 on: 17 February, 2012, 04:32:39 pm »
M'colleague is off work next week and has loaned me use of his Aeropress while he's away, so I'll be getting in plenty of practice using it.  :thumbsup:

d.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #15 on: 17 February, 2012, 04:35:37 pm »
Another question: I perceive there to be a value in using multiple papers, thus decreasing the rate at which it drips through, making it stronger. True or false?

(To be honest that's also the reason why i thought tamping it would make it stronger.)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: 17 February, 2012, 04:37:07 pm »
I've never tried.  But I do know that you shouldn't leave it to steep too long because it gets bitter as it gets even stronger.

Get the good stuff out quickly would appear to be the order of the day.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #17 on: 17 February, 2012, 05:05:48 pm »
Hmm.. I don't think I've ever noticed it being "bitter" , the main problem I have with coffee is getting it strong enough.
The stove top pot does have a tendency to make it what I would call "pungent", almost fruity (but this may be what people refer to as "bitter"), my completely unscientific guess is that the reason it does that is that the water has to by definition be boiling to create the pressure, but on the aeropress it doesn't.

« Reply #18 on: 20 February, 2012, 05:44:55 pm »
I've been using one for a couple of weeks and enjoying the mixed results. Mixed as in - still faffing with quantities and mixes.

Also mixed because two different well known coffee companies have recommended either espresso ground or filter ground coffee for it.
I think the instructions said use ground for fine drip (possibly not quite correct?) so I asked each of them and got two different answers so am wondering what people on here are using?

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #19 on: 21 February, 2012, 09:18:21 am »
That's probably because it's a hybrid process - gravity-powered through a paper filter combined with air pressure via the plunger. Mine is not in use at the moment but I had good results with either grind. The roast was more important to me, so I'd usually use a filter grind because there's more choice.

« Reply #20 on: 21 February, 2012, 09:35:12 am »
I got an Aeropress a couple of weeks ago - I quite like it. It does produce a very smooth coffee, compared to the likes of a Bialetti, which took me a bit of time to get used to.

Tamping: doesn't work that way. Need to stir the coffee / water mix in order to get all the grains thoroughly wet.
Two filters: mine doesn't drip through and needs a fair bit of steady pressure on the plunger even with one paper.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #21 on: 21 February, 2012, 09:51:22 am »
Oh, when I was doing it over Christmas my brother said 'if I wasn't leaning my elbows on this side of the table it would ping up and topple over wouldn't it' ;D

Euan Uzami

Re: Re: Aeropress
« Reply #22 on: 21 February, 2012, 09:56:37 am »
I've been using one for a couple of weeks and enjoying the mixed results. Mixed as in - still faffing with quantities and mixes.

Also mixed because two different well known coffee companies have recommended either espresso ground or filter ground coffee for it.
I think the instructions said use ground for fine drip (possibly not quite correct?) so I asked each of them and got two different answers so am wondering what people on here are using?

I think the finer ground the better, otherwise it's not strong enough, but that may be just cos I like it strong. I think if you were to have milk in it it might be ok coarse, but then if you're having milk in it you may as well use a cafetiere.
The hand grinder I've got grinds it dead fine but takes ages and kills your arm. The morphy Richards one wasn't as good until I found instructions on Amazon on how to "overclock" it, and now it's almost as good as the hand grinder (and possibly an electric one that's much more expensive)

John Henry

« Reply #23 on: 25 February, 2012, 10:17:48 am »
OK, I've got mine now and I'm using it a lot. It's every bit as good as Charlotte said; excellent coffee, and very simple (and fun) to use.

So far I've found that the following:

1) 17g beans
2) grind to fine (espresso-type grind)
3) fill to between 3 and 4 with water well off the boil
4) quick stir, no steeping, plunge for about 20 secs

works for me and produces a delicious coffee. I experimented with letting it steep for a while, but the result was undrinkable. Might work with a coarser grind, but with a fine grind I reckon it's best to get plunging as soon as you've stirred it.

My Bialetti is in the box of stuff to go to a charity shop. I never found the knack of producing a palatable cup of coffee from it. The Aeropress is a vast improvement.

[Edit: I reckon the undrinkable batch was down to getting the amount of coffee wrong or something. I tried steeping it again today (for about 30s), and it was good].

citoyen

« Reply #24 on: 25 February, 2012, 12:22:53 pm »
I experimented with letting it steep for a while, but the result was undrinkable. Might work with a coarser grind, but with a fine grind I reckon it's best to get plunging as soon as you've stirred it.

That's interesting. I've been letting it steep and it seems OK to me, but I haven't tried pressing it immediately so I don't know how it compares.

Unfortunately, my colleague is back at work on Monday so I'll need to return his Aeropress to him. I've enjoyed using it this week. I shall have to get one for myself, though I can't really justify the expense at the moment.  :-\

d.