Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1109401 times)

jogler

• mojo operandi
Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #1775 on: 19 December, 2009, 07:34:30 pm »
My kitchen-godess,a.k.a. SWMBO,has just baked a chocolate cake. :thumbsup:

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1776 on: 20 December, 2009, 03:55:40 pm »
The Magpies won :thumbsup:....AGAIN :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1777 on: 20 December, 2009, 04:01:52 pm »
I have got a new G-string for my guitar

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1778 on: 20 December, 2009, 04:03:44 pm »
 & the Xmas pressies are all wrapped  :)

« Reply #1779 on: 20 December, 2009, 07:49:59 pm »
The car actually started after not being used for quite a few months.  Admittedly I did have to put the battery on charge all night, but it seems to work OK.

I didn't actually move it, since it's dark, and the road is a solid sheet of ice, I'll want daylight to slowly drive along it.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1780 on: 22 December, 2009, 09:16:04 am »
Mrs C has told me she's bought herself a new handbag, and on that basis, I'm allowed to buy a new bike!  ;D

In fact, she's now asking what colour it will be - perhaps she wants it coordinated with her bag?  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1781 on: 22 December, 2009, 10:05:19 am »
Mrs C has told me she's bought herself a new handbag, and on that basis, I'm allowed to buy a new bike!  ;D

In fact, she's now asking what colour it will be - perhaps she wants it coordinated with her bag?  :D

I'd be worried about her buying a handbag that costs as much as a bike!  :o
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1782 on: 22 December, 2009, 12:19:40 pm »
It probably cost more than my Hero Hawk (mine has flat bars). I don't think she knows the price of the next one I plan to get.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1783 on: 22 December, 2009, 02:02:37 pm »
It's midnight and I've just finished the last major piece of work I needed to get out before I go on holidays.  Yay!   O:-)

I'll drop in for a little while in the morning to clear my desk and make sure it gets out the door properly and then I'm off for 19 days!   :D
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

« Reply #1784 on: 23 December, 2009, 05:36:00 pm »
Thanks to Paul F, I now have a charger for my laptop, so I don't have to use the netbook and a) try to read things in a mini window; b) try to use mobile broadband that works at snail's pace or c) try to convince the netbook to use the available network :D! Hurrah!
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #1785 on: 23 December, 2009, 08:54:04 pm »
Huzzah!

And that means I'm off the hook for going and rummaging in the box of doom at work to find one, as I blithely suggested in t'other thread that I would if you were still short of one.  Double huzzah!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1786 on: 27 December, 2009, 07:39:58 pm »
I've just found out that I got a Distinction in a Client Handling Facilitator Exam I took a couple of weeks ago. I was made to go on the course and do the exam, despite really really not wanting to, so I don't know if I'm pleased or not. Well, it means I don't have to do a resit, so that's ok.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #1787 on: 27 December, 2009, 11:12:10 pm »
We've had RAIN!  Enough to fill the tanks and the grass is turning green already.
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1788 on: 27 December, 2009, 11:19:11 pm »
Well, that's fantastic news.  My friend in Melbourne is melting...

My good news is that I've got a camera on ebay.  Exactly the one I wanted, the same as I had before. Beautiful camera :)

And half the price of the last one :thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #1789 on: 29 December, 2009, 11:47:48 am »
Mrs B has got her exam results. IELTS Band 8.5! For anyone who's interested, that means she speaks, reads, writes & understands spoken English close to the level of a high level native speaker.

For comparison, IELTS Band 7.5 or equivalent is required for non-native English speakers to practice medicine in the UK.

She wanted this because since she took her masters degree & professional qualifications, a score of 8.0 has been set as the minimum for non-native speakers to register as speech therapists. It was implicit in her gaining her qualifications that her English was at that level, but you know bureaucracy. Explicit qualification is a requirement now, & although not retrospectively applied by the Royal College of Speech & Language Therapists to those registered before it was imposed, the NHS expects any new applicants for jobs to have it - and the NHS is by far the biggest employer.

She's very happy. She's sick of her present job (the work, the institution & its politics, the commuting - almost everything). She's already found a job in Reading to apply for. IELTS Band 8 required - no problem!

She's also very pleased with me, for all the coaching I gave her up to the exam.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #1790 on: 29 December, 2009, 01:44:25 pm »
Congratulations, Mrs B!

« Reply #1791 on: 29 December, 2009, 08:13:36 pm »
I'll thank you on her behalf.

She deserves it. She's worked very hard for it.

There is an additional benefit: she'll have more time for cycling!
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1792 on: 29 December, 2009, 08:24:23 pm »
That's marvellous news :)
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1793 on: 29 December, 2009, 10:29:18 pm »
we overcame the Triffids again :thumbsup:

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1794 on: 30 December, 2009, 06:22:22 pm »
The gritter lorry has been down our cul de sac :)
(it'll prolly snow and cover it all up again now)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #1795 on: 30 December, 2009, 10:06:10 pm »
I finally fell off my "new" bike (got it Feb 21st this year) for the first time (not counting the falling asleep and waking up in the grass next to the road during LEL), after 12536km. So I guess I can finally stop calling it "new" now. Since it's on it's 4th chain (the current one is very brown) that might be more correct.

It was the second to last corner back from work to home. Slush invisible to see in the dark, taking the corner at normal speed, and off I went. Didn't get hurt, I was sliding along. I will call it a year, with a total of 13647km this year. Not reached the goal of 15000km, or the downscaled 14000km, but I will round it off and call it 14Mm ;D
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #1796 on: 31 December, 2009, 12:08:07 am »
Good god !!!!   Where man ?
In SE21 and also learned that one if the teachers is taking the instructor course atm. Quite a few of the teachers and kids cycle to school already. There is plenty Sheffield stands too and they have sweet talked TfL out of some money to sponsor this. Kids are very good and well behaved too. 

Can we have more schools like this please

Is it on Thurlow Park Road or very close?
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #1797 on: 31 December, 2009, 02:47:09 am »
I finally fell off my "new" bike (got it Feb 21st this year) for the first time (not counting the falling asleep and waking up in the grass next to the road during LEL), after 12536km. So I guess I can finally stop calling it "new" now. Since it's on it's 4th chain (the current one is very brown) that might be more correct.

It was the second to last corner back from work to home. Slush invisible to see in the dark, taking the corner at normal speed, and off I went. Didn't get hurt, I was sliding along. I will call it a year, with a total of 13647km this year. Not reached the goal of 15000km, or the downscaled 14000km, but I will round it off and call it 14Mm ;D

A good thing about laying down on the job is when it does drop you tend to just slide.
Bad thing is leaving your ass-skin along the road behind you  ;D
Good job it was icy  :thumbsup:

Rich (currently on 3 wheels)

gordon taylor

« Reply #1798 on: 01 January, 2010, 09:30:10 am »
Good news? We came home yesterday to find a bottle of wine on the step with a thank you note from a guy who had a puncture near the house sometime in the summer. I helped him out with a patch and a pump and thought that was it.

Thank you Peter, much appreciated.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #1799 on: 06 January, 2010, 03:02:06 pm »
We've just booked a holiday!!  \o/   \o/   \o/   \o/   \o/

Argentina for 3 weeks, leaving on Feb 1st. 

Quite excited...