Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 344714 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #1175 on: 04 July, 2020, 09:17:19 pm »
Got my max square to 30.  This is the point where sensible people stop, isn't it?

Davef

« Reply #1176 on: 04 July, 2020, 09:27:27 pm »
With the 105,000 people on veloviewer the median max square is 8. You are way past normal amongst the veloviewer population let alone wider humanity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1178 on: 05 July, 2020, 06:02:41 am »
Got my max square to 30.  This is the point where sensible people stop, isn't it?
It’s the point where I stopped, certainly.

More than 31 would not be possible for me due to some RAF bases (Brüggen, Elmpt) and I thought 30 was a nicer number than 31.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #1179 on: 05 July, 2020, 10:17:52 am »

More than 31 would not be possible for me due to some RAF bases (Brüggen, Elmpt) and I thought 30 was a nicer number than 31.

Brüggen is not impossible but hard. One rider managed to get himself behind the guardhouse so he has it. 2nd option which was discussed a while ago is aplying for a test lesson in Golf at the golf course on this tile and then log all the walking bits.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1180 on: 05 July, 2020, 12:32:58 pm »
Sneaking onto military bases is one thing, but golf?   :o

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1181 on: 05 July, 2020, 12:36:42 pm »
Brüggen is not impossible but hard. One rider managed to get himself behind the guardhouse so he has it. 2nd option which was discussed a while ago is aplying for a test lesson in Golf at the golf course on this tile and then log all the walking bits.

There's a Dutch military base that has a tile on it that has nothing outside the fence. But there is an aerospace company in the middle of it. I'm wondering if I should apply for a job, just to log the walk to and from the building for the interview...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1182 on: 05 July, 2020, 12:59:41 pm »

There's a Dutch military base that has a tile on it that has nothing outside the fence. But there is an aerospace company in the middle of it. I'm wondering if I should apply for a job, just to log the walk to and from the building for the interview...

J

:thumbsup: That's the spirit!

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #1183 on: 05 July, 2020, 01:16:26 pm »
Sneaking onto military bases is one thing, but golf?   :o

We're entering the realms of this becoming a dressing up game

« Reply #1184 on: 05 July, 2020, 01:53:16 pm »
Not exactly tile hunting but municipality hunting, yesterday I completed all Belgian municipalities with a ride from Charleroi, first south to bag 2 and then further north to Leuven to grab the final municipality, Sombreffe.
Shortly before Leuven I managed to connect a larger chunk of tiles to my main cluster.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1185 on: 05 July, 2020, 04:20:05 pm »

Actually I have got the tricky tile at Brüggen (behind the guardhouse, took two attempts and some friendly chat) but it’s the correct side of the fence past golf course area that is a problem - it’s horribly off-road for a velomobile. I went quite a long way along it to bag one tile and then stopped - too far to the next one, I feared catastrophic tyre failure and suspension destruction due to the immense potholes.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #1186 on: 05 July, 2020, 05:22:29 pm »

Actually I have got the tricky tile at Brüggen (behind the guardhouse, took two attempts and some friendly chat) but it’s the correct side of the fence past golf course area that is a problem - it’s horribly off-road for a velomobile. I went quite a long way along it to bag one tile and then stopped - too far to the next one, I feared catastrophic tyre failure and suspension destruction due to the immense potholes.

Ah, so you're the one with that tile :)
I have the other one. On 32mm tyres it was doable with occasional walking. But there are multiple unpaved tracks towards it so it might be possible that you tried a different one. I approached it from the bikepath at the western side.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1187 on: 05 July, 2020, 06:46:31 pm »

I have the other one. On 32mm tyres it was doable with occasional walking. But there are multiple unpaved tracks towards it so it might be possible that you tried a different one. I approached it from the bikepath at the western side.
I’m the second with that tile, I got it two months ago or so.

I approached from the east but the track was only getting worse the further west I went.

http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk/nine-wheels-in-germany-may-2020-month-74/

« Reply #1188 on: 05 July, 2020, 07:16:32 pm »

I’m the second with that tile, I got it two months ago or so.

I approached from the east but the track was only getting worse the further west I went.

http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk/nine-wheels-in-germany-may-2020-month-74/

Oh that one, I found it quite doable.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #1189 on: 05 July, 2020, 08:07:57 pm »
Grabbed 3 stray tiles today.
1 on a hill with a monument to some bloke from the 19th century that otherwise looks like a lum and is only interesting because you can see it from pretty much everywhere in the Howe.
2 on a track between hamlets, this is where things went wrong, I discovered I was right not to have a bash at it on 30mm tyres, and discovered I was wrong not to have a bash at it on 2.2" tyres.
My feet are now rather sore, my dodgy ankle seems to have a 5km limit.

Talk of RAF Brueggen sets my mind back on how to claim the former RAF Leuchars; my historic thoughts were to volunteer to marshall next time it's used for motorsport but you now need to actually do some training for that.  There's definitely photos from outside the fence the mud in the Eden on Geograph but no idea if it was on foot or a boat of some form.

Edit: Loch Leven is also going to be a pain...

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #1190 on: 05 July, 2020, 09:43:29 pm »

I'm currently at 30, 31 is an easy pick but beyond that I need to do more off riding.

« Reply #1191 on: 05 July, 2020, 09:52:27 pm »
Lots of good work over the past few weeks (mainly hacking up to Pennine watersheds by boot or bike), and my max square is up to 41x41.

(latter photo shows the new squares acquired today, mainly filling in some of the gaps north of Stanhope along decent tracks, before the main event of hacking out along the rough keeper's track by Bollihope Burn, and then off-piste along a grassy landy track up to Todd Carrs, which I walked).

Total squares at 20195, and cluster is a healthy 4246. Might have a week off the squarebagging now.

« Reply #1192 on: 06 July, 2020, 09:42:20 am »
Had an explore beween Bicester & Buckingham yesterday, square now 31x31.   A mean head wind from Marsh Gibbon south.  Saw the rise of HS2 around Calvert (where the impacted BBOWT reserve is), lots of fencing/works/large house fenced for demolition.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #1193 on: 06 July, 2020, 01:44:05 pm »
Went out into West Lothian last weekend and the weekend before. Max cluster up to 390. More to the point, I'm enjoying exploring new roads.
If I want to increase the size of my square, I need to go and do the off-road tiles south of Edinburgh. I know where they all are, and have a route planned...

« Reply #1194 on: 06 July, 2020, 07:22:34 pm »
I had my first max square increase since Mar 2019 this weekend - up to 45x45 from 43x43 after the weekends ride. I'd saved this one for when conditions were dry due to there being quite a few bridleways/tracks involved. This filled the NW corner of my new larger max square.

I was going to stop at 40x40 but couldn't due to missing the addiction of planning and grabbing squares (especially the more awkward ones).

50x50 is doable for me but after that it would involve riding into Nottingham and Doncaster which doesn't really appeal - I think that would be a good time to shift emphasis from max square, to max cluster and tiles in general.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #1195 on: 08 July, 2020, 08:15:23 am »
Interesting post from Ride Every Tile on Strava this morning, and in update to country leaderboards: https://rideeverytile.com/tiles/leaderboard_national
Good to see familiar names
:)

« Reply #1196 on: 08 July, 2020, 08:59:52 pm »
Its getting harder picking up stray tiles , VTT is needed now. Inverclyde tracks along the old water works channels and track to Wemyss Bay and then  forest trails and the coastal path. Filled a few gaps, cluster 745, 22 x 22 and 27791 tiles.

« Reply #1197 on: 08 July, 2020, 09:34:35 pm »
If you tag an activity on Strava as a walk, run etc, does it show on Veloviewer for Explorer purposes?
@CorbieLinnRider

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #1198 on: 08 July, 2020, 09:35:07 pm »
Runs definitely do, not sure about walks.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1199 on: 08 July, 2020, 09:35:22 pm »
If you tag an activity on Strava as a walk, run etc, does it show on Veloviewer for Explorer purposes?

If you select it, yes.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/