Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 338595 times)

Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #1400 on: 08 September, 2020, 01:05:36 pm »
I hope the runs leader is block booking the cafe on the Sunday run😁. Cafe stops are taking  up a lot of time now with social distancing 😩

rob

« Reply #1401 on: 08 September, 2020, 08:41:08 pm »
Been gaffing around with this for a while.   I have my square up to 18*18 and my cluster at 401.

Looking at where I used to live it’s pretty clear that I would drop onto standard routes most of the time and do them repeatedly.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1402 on: 08 September, 2020, 09:06:19 pm »
Achievement unlocked: 40×40

No nettles were harmed in today's activity.  I didn't even have to climb a Malvern.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #1403 on: 08 September, 2020, 10:04:44 pm »
Nice!
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #1404 on: 09 September, 2020, 06:16:08 am »
Got my max square to 30.  This is the point where sensible people stop, isn't it?

Achievement unlocked: 40×40

2 months, that's fast work.  50 in November?
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #1405 on: 09 September, 2020, 08:52:24 pm »
Early start today so I could get an early finish.  Most pre ride faffing dealt with at lunch time too so soon after 15:00 I got going to bag some tiles along the lower Severn.  Mostly not awkward but to get there & back in the available time meant using both main routes from the forest to Chepstow.  These are roads I only use when I have to.  The forest is wonderful for cyclists, particularly off road but getting in and out really is a case of 'which road shall I have a (hopefully) near death experience on today?'  It's no mystery that the roads are lined with parked cars wearing empty bike racks all weekend.  Well today there was no shortage of NDEs on both the Chepstow options.  B4228 out (St Briavels road) and A48  back.

Anyway,  the first 4 of 6 targetted tiles went fine
(click to show/hide)

+5 tiles
0 cluster though +4 on an unconnected Chepstow cluster.
all useless towards my square even after I make the link
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #1406 on: 10 September, 2020, 10:23:25 am »
Finished one of my Covid year target of Coast to Coast; Wash to Burnham on Sea. Completed with some better than expected Fen dyke off roading at the weekend. The other goals of completing Northants, and clustering into Wales also done, all ridden from home.
Next up is to get in the top 20 with my Cluster, only 18 off at 7,394 today, but it's a constantly moving goalpost.

« Reply #1407 on: 10 September, 2020, 09:28:39 pm »
Excellent work, Jack!

« Reply #1408 on: 10 September, 2020, 09:36:16 pm »
I'm just getting around the opening all of my rides - Jon's excellent suggestion of sorting them by distance has done the trick (I was trying to open them from within the map before, which just didn't work).

I've lost a few tiles, but not many are significant. My cluster's dropped a bit and my squares down to 30x30 from 42x42, but they're all pretty easy to get, and I knocked off a bunch yesterday on an LEL-shaped line (with some help from Mille Pennines) between Thirsk and Stamford Bridge.

By their nature, they're all pretty close to roads, and this is nowhere near as irksome as when my mate gave me his old Garmin. Turns out, he'd never deleted a single ride, and when I connected it with Garmin Connect, it shovelled them all onto Strava, and it took me yonks to delete them all. 

« Reply #1409 on: 10 September, 2020, 10:05:54 pm »
Finished one of my Covid year target of Coast to Coast; Wash to Burnham on Sea. Completed with some better than expected Fen dyke off roading at the weekend. The other goals of completing Northants, and clustering into Wales also done, all ridden from home.
Next up is to get in the top 20 with my Cluster, only 18 off at 7,394 today, but it's a constantly moving goalpost.

Covid 19 really threw the standings around. Some people were riding more as usual, I guess mostly those living in the centre of a country and working in a field where work hours were reduced. Others really had issues. I belonged to the 2nd group, lot's of borders around where I live and for several months a ban on bike transport by train, combined with lot's of extra work. I keep my own overview of the abt 40 highest scorers for cluster and the amount of position changes is tremendous the past few months.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1410 on: 10 September, 2020, 10:09:28 pm »

I like how you've gone to great lengths to avoid Ipswich!

Nicely done.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1411 on: 10 September, 2020, 10:27:00 pm »
+1 Birmingham.

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #1412 on: 11 September, 2020, 08:45:30 am »
+1 Birmingham.
:P Definately Birmingham, even though I have a lot of family there i could visit

« Reply #1413 on: 13 September, 2020, 05:46:03 pm »
I regained the last two false positives, in the Cotswolds; so up to 35x35.  Great weather this pm.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #1414 on: 14 September, 2020, 09:42:58 am »
I got 3 new squares at the northern edge of my max square yesterday,  all on open moorland around the back of Stannage Edge in the Peak District.  1 required about 100m of hike-a-bike across some boggy ground north of Ringinlow Road.  The other 2 were accessible by riding about 5km along a quad bike track across the Moor West from Redmires Res.

Max square up 1 to 49x49
Cluster up 12 to 3251

Eddington: 114 Miles

« Reply #1415 on: 14 September, 2020, 10:22:36 am »
Yesterday's ride netted me +14 squares taking me to 986, +1 max square taking me to 13x13 and +47 to my cluster which is now 332. Got all the squares I was aiming for bar the final one which is off my usual commute anyway so I can try it another time.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #1416 on: 14 September, 2020, 06:23:47 pm »
Had a great ride yesterday from Bridge of Earn, including seeing half a dozen red squirrels at a variety of points along the route.  That took me over 3000 tiles (3006), but only added 1 to my cluster (1008), but have a mini Cluster between Dunning and Perth which I need 1 square to link up to my main one- should add ~50 to my cluster.  The main thing will be to have broken through the Ochils, allows me to target bringing places like Crieff, Dunkeld and Blairgowrie and the North Shore of the Tay.

« Reply #1417 on: 14 September, 2020, 06:36:32 pm »
Yesterday I bumped my max cluster... by 235.
724-959

I did it by finishing connecting my two clusters.

Main road hell, taking in both a decent fraction of the Swindon-Oxford A420, and 3.6 miles on the A34.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1418 on: 14 September, 2020, 07:11:45 pm »
The linking clusters thing would be a good tactic for me - I’m about a dozen tiles shy of linking my east Kent cluster to my London one. Now I’m commuting again, I have an excuse to get the train to a point that would make it pretty easy to do...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1419 on: 14 September, 2020, 07:49:45 pm »
The linking clusters thing would be a good tactic for me - I’m about a dozen tiles shy of linking my east Kent cluster to my London one. Now I’m commuting again, I have an excuse to get the train to a point that would make it pretty easy to do...
Yeah, I could tun the Mendips into a nice little cluster quite quickly - that was a Sportive. But, beyond that, my next tiles are waaay ooop North.

I have a 600 km "Impossible Challenge"  route, from Oxford. But I also need the time for something like that!

simonp

« Reply #1420 on: 14 September, 2020, 08:35:45 pm »
I only need 1 tile, I think, to link to the Bristol cluster and grow it a fair bit (living about 20 miles from Bristol). But hardly riding outdoors at the moment so...

« Reply #1421 on: 16 September, 2020, 11:12:44 am »
There is a plan. What could possibly go wrong?

« Reply #1422 on: 16 September, 2020, 08:28:18 pm »
Out on the MTB to catch some tiles north of Drymen. Bit of a bogfest in places, 5 tiles have opened up the cluster to Callander. Cluster up to 1025 and total 28176 no improvement for square.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1423 on: 20 September, 2020, 07:06:21 pm »
Some comedy off-roading and the cluster is now 1600.

« Reply #1424 on: 27 September, 2020, 10:05:59 pm »
There is a plan. What could possibly go wrong?

>650km, 6 days riding, 281 new tiles, cluster now south of Gainsborough. I came off on gravel on one of those endless droves to nowhere and generally got a bit bored and fed up of fens and peeing in fields.

A DIY 200 will finish it off and I will go back to road riding for a bit.