Author Topic: Wildlife photo competition disqualifies 'stuffed anteater' image  (Read 2943 times)

Ben T

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-43912583

Wildlife photo competition winner disqualified because the animal was allegedly stuffed.

Is there not a slight problem with his claim that the anteater just walked into the shot... the fact it was a 30s exposure?
So he's claiming the anteater remained perfectly still for 30s?

Re: Wildlife photo competition disqualifies 'stuffed anteater' image
« Reply #1 on: 27 April, 2018, 02:32:01 pm »
I wonder if he'll get paid for the use of his image? Any clause that the competition can use the image might have lapsed with its rejection.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2 on: 27 April, 2018, 02:38:48 pm »

Wildlife photo competition winner disqualified because the animal was allegedly stuffed.

Is there not a slight problem with his claim that the anteater just walked into the shot... the fact it was a 30s exposure?

I only skimmed the article but I think that he claims to have used a flash to capture the anteater and then a long exposure for the background

« Reply #3 on: 27 April, 2018, 02:52:15 pm »
this is the same competition that disqualified someone a few years back for having a tame wolf jumping a gate..
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2010/jan/20/wolf-wildlife-photographer-award-stripped

Nessie to win next year?

« Reply #4 on: 28 April, 2018, 12:13:17 am »
If only he’d just knocked up a composite he’d be fine eh!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5 on: 28 April, 2018, 12:42:48 am »
Yes, but is it art?
It is simpler than it looks.

Ben T

« Reply #6 on: 28 April, 2018, 07:59:13 am »

I only skimmed the article but I think that he claims to have used a flash to capture the anteater and then a long exposure for the background

Hmm, plausible circumstantially but I find it suspicious.
If he'd planned for a long exposure but then the anteater just walked into shot, how did he have time to get his flash ready?
Why had he even brought a flash with him if that wasn't the photo he was intending to take?  :-\

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #7 on: 28 April, 2018, 11:49:02 am »
Strangely enough I don't just take the minimum equipment when I am taking a pic. Usually many other bits. I'd be trying various amounts of fill flash to get the structure of the termite mound (similar to this pic in essence https://flic.kr/p/EPyEVN) He obviously chose a specific colour for the flash and there are various flash bursts in the image.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #8 on: 28 April, 2018, 08:48:55 pm »

Indeed.

It is concerning though, when the winner of my local photographic associations annual competition won the Best Natural History image with a clear composite image of two large birds of prey going after the same photo shopped prey in a misty arty background with an arty vignette...

Here was me thinking that Natural History was just that, "Natural" and not photoshopped!   

« Reply #9 on: 28 April, 2018, 09:05:28 pm »

Indeed.

It is concerning though, when the winner of my local photographic associations annual competition won the Best Natural History image with a clear composite image of two large birds of prey going after the same photo shopped prey in a misty arty background with an arty vignette...

Here was me thinking that Natural History was just that, "Natural" and not photoshopped!

We had this discussion earlier and the composite very certainly stood it’s ground! There again, so did I with a different (single) viewpoint;)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #10 on: 01 May, 2018, 04:56:19 pm »
The BBC Natural History team (possibly via external production crews) have been caught bending the rules as well. 

They've been staging what they heard was normal behaviour of tribes, despite some of the practices they staged being long abandoned.

It's becoming an inconvenient truth that some remote tribesmen wear Barcelona FC shirts and use cell phones now.  Maybe if we hadn't chopped all their trees down eh?
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.