Author Topic: Brompton pedal dust cap  (Read 4359 times)

Brompton pedal dust cap
« on: 25 April, 2019, 09:59:27 pm »
Don't suppose I can get a replacement dust cap for the non-folding Brompton pedal? I've already replaced the pedal recently, and the caps have gone both from the original and from the new one. Bit of a long shot I know, but anyone know of something that fits?

S2L

Re: Brompton pedal dust cap
« Reply #1 on: 22 May, 2019, 08:38:04 am »
Dunno, those pedals are made of cheese anyway, so with or without the dustcap makes little difference. FYI a new pedal costs less than a tenner

« Reply #2 on: 22 May, 2019, 10:28:07 pm »
I know, I've bought one, as above :)

But I don't like the waste of throwing it out each time the dust cap falls off!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 22 May, 2019, 11:54:54 pm »
Sounds like one of those 3D printer jobs.  Or an excuse to switch to one of the quick-release pedal systems.

« Reply #4 on: 22 May, 2019, 11:59:40 pm »
Yes, I've got one or two MKS FD-7 folding pedals from the Dahon I broke. I'll probably use up one of them when this pedal inevitably fails. The folded pedal does tend to mark the crank though.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5 on: 23 May, 2019, 12:00:27 am »
A few years ago, I contacted Brompton about the same problem and they sent me a replacement pedal dustcap. No idea if they would do that again.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #6 on: 23 May, 2019, 12:14:20 am »
Worth asking, isn't it? So I have. Thanks.

« Reply #7 on: 28 May, 2019, 06:47:15 pm »
No joy. First I had to explain to them what a pedal dust cap is ::-)

Then they gave me a link to buy a(nother) new pedal, and explained how to get a dealer to fit it for me  ::-) ::-)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #8 on: 28 May, 2019, 08:29:14 pm »
I've taken to doing lots to avoid giving Brompton money in the past couple of years. They seem to be rather too interested in selling fashionable bags and clothing. Engineering nous appears to deliberately be kept well away from the ordinary punters.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #9 on: 28 May, 2019, 11:09:35 pm »
Yes pretty much the same. The idea of paying a dealer(!!!) to replace a pedal(!!!) because of a missing dustcap(!!!) when that pedal is already a replacement for another on which dustcap also fell off did not impress me. I'll let this pedal fall apart, then fit something else, preferably something with some spares availability.

Nor, when I looked into replacing my bars and stem, did finding that that is now a dealer-only job impress me. It was bad enough finding the same for the pivot, but you know all about that. Now I have a Brompton myself, I've at least managed to equip myself for next time.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #10 on: 23 June, 2021, 10:32:52 pm »
I lovingly purged my new RH pedal with grease.  After 15 miles, the dustcap fell out.  They are shite, and they put them on £2000 bikes.  I will have to rummage through the Crypt of Crap for something that fits, or just bow to the inevitable and fit a pair of SPDs.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.