Author Topic: A salad for those who need to use up some walnut oil  (Read 905 times)

goatpebble

A salad for those who need to use up some walnut oil
« on: 13 March, 2010, 09:09:57 pm »
My mother had bought some walnut oil, and needed some advice.

Here is my suggestion. It's a simple classic, which you can change to suite you ingredients, or taste.

First off, you need some nice salad stuff, of a slightly bitter and mustardy sort. Rocket is the obvious one, but wilder things, that might be growing quite by accident in you garden, will be worth trying. Dandelion, and several assorted similar things, will be good.

Assemble your washed greenery, and dress with nothing but a little of your walnut oil, maybe a little olive oil as well, a few drops of lemon juice, some crisply fried streaky bacon, cut into nice little 1 cm squares, and some hard sheep cheese, shaved with a sharp potato peeler. A grind of black pepper, some salt, and you are done.

goatpebble

Re: A salad for those who need to use up some walnut oil
« Reply #1 on: 13 March, 2010, 09:16:17 pm »
An excellent alternative dressing would be to fry the bacon, adding a tablespoon of your very best wine vinegar as the bacon has reached a crispy ideal. Use the contents of the frying pan as your dressing, and finish with the walnut oil.

This is wonderful with lamb's lettuce.

edit: act quickly. Nothing should be allowed to sit around and get soggy.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: A salad for those who need to use up some walnut oil
« Reply #2 on: 14 March, 2010, 10:33:40 pm »
Mmmm, that sounds really good.  :thumbsup:

I once made a vinaigrette with walnut oil by accident (picked up the wrong bottle) and it tasted fantastic, so I now deliberately use it instead of olive oil sometimes. Definitely agree that it works best on stronger-tasting leaves.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."