Author Topic: Interesting or unusual planes?  (Read 387589 times)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Re: Interesting or unusual planes?
« Reply #1675 on: 18 May, 2020, 09:33:30 pm »
You're going to have to help me there, Paul. I did my original conversion to the C130 in early 1980, and flew with EU a number of times over the years. He may be in my logbook, but I've got 7000 hours on Fat Albert and I'm not searching all of them now!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #1677 on: 23 May, 2020, 02:34:04 pm »
The Spitfire which I flew last October was one of the aircraft of the RAF Canadian fighter squadron.
I found out, the other day, that the squadron commanding officer was Douglas Bader.
 :thumbsup:
Chocks away!

« Reply #1678 on: 27 May, 2020, 11:08:59 am »
No photo, but a couple of single engine, propeller driven WWII era planes flew at low level over the middle of York a few minutes ago. tar1090.adsbexchange.com suggests one was a Hurricane, but doesn't show the second one. Looks like it's heading back to Woodhall Spa just now.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1679 on: 27 May, 2020, 05:04:52 pm »
https://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/news/18462890.many-raf-planes-seen-uk-lockdown/
Great caption.
This is an Airbus A400M Atlas, the type of airfact seen over Glasgow in recent weeks (Image: RAF)
As opposed to an airfake, for instance.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1680 on: 05 June, 2020, 12:24:01 pm »
The Spitfire which I flew last October was one of the aircraft of the RAF Canadian fighter squadron.
I found out, the other day, that the squadron commanding officer was Douglas Bader.
 :thumbsup:
Chocks away!

Sorry Jurek, but are you sure about that? I believe you flew in MJ627 which was operated by the RCAF in 441 squadron in 1944. Bader was the leader of 242 sqn in 1940 which was mostly Canadian pilots but still part of the British RAF. Bader moved from 242 (taking a few of his Canadian mates with him) and led a wing during late 40 into early 41 before being shot down and taken prisoner for the remainder of the war in the spring. 242 moved to the Far East for a while and wikipedia says re-formed on spits and operated in the middle east and med theatres.

MJ627 still has it's own illustrious career, shooting down a ME109 during the battle of Arnhem (a bridge too far)

The Biggin Hill hanger has a two seat Hurricane now (built near me here at Elmsett in Suffolk), fancy a comparison flight?!

Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #1681 on: 05 June, 2020, 03:27:58 pm »
Quote from: trekker12
The Biggin Hill hanger has a two seat Hurricane now...
I really wish you hadn't told me that.  Never wanted to fly in a Spitfire, but a Hurricane? Oh yes please.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #1682 on: 05 June, 2020, 04:59:04 pm »
I really wish you hadn't told me that.  Never wanted to fly in a Spitfire, but a Hurricane? Oh yes please.
Does not compute.  ???
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #1683 on: 06 June, 2020, 12:16:02 am »
Does not compute.  ???

To me it means riding both, the pretty one is still going to be the best though  :-X

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #1684 on: 07 June, 2020, 09:15:24 am »
Quote from: neilrj
Quote from: hatler
Quote from: TheLurker
Does not compute.  ???

To me it means riding both, the pretty one is still going to be the best though  :-X

I grant you that the Supermarine machine is, technologically and aerodynamically, a better aeroplane, but it leaves me cold.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #1685 on: 07 June, 2020, 09:23:23 am »
That counts as treachery in these febrile times, doesnt it?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1686 on: 07 June, 2020, 10:45:18 am »
Indeed.  Mr Lurker can expect a visit from a group of drooling potato-faced organisms dressed as Kniggets Templar, who will denounce him for being UnPaTrIoTiC.  Because they they get hopelessly confused by the Sydney Camm - Wunibald Kamm conundrum.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1687 on: 17 June, 2020, 08:04:49 am »
I didn't get a photo (was out jogging and phone was tucked away).

An Apache, complete with stuff that looked like munitions on its pylons, flying low circuits over the fens.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

TimC

« Reply #1688 on: 18 June, 2020, 07:20:09 am »
I didn't get a photo (was out jogging and phone was tucked away).

An Apache, complete with stuff that looked like munitions on its pylons, flying low circuits over the fens.

Two of them over my garden a couple of days ago. They’ve been busy in the last couple of weeks - someone’s found some money for training after months of inactivity at Wattisham (about three miles up the road from me).

« Reply #1689 on: 18 June, 2020, 04:55:38 pm »
Question for TimC...

Actually one posed by a cycling mate as we rode past Kemble airfield. There is an airliner salvage company there,  but it also looks like large airliners might be stored there at present.

My mate wondered who flew them there (retired aircraft and stored ones) He thought it might be a private company that moves jets about, but I wondered whether it would be a normal rostered airline pilot, given they'd need to be used to flying each type.

« Reply #1690 on: 18 June, 2020, 06:04:45 pm »
Red Arrows & their French mates this afternoon

TimC

« Reply #1691 on: 20 June, 2020, 01:48:18 am »
Question for TimC...

Actually one posed by a cycling mate as we rode past Kemble airfield. There is an airliner salvage company there,  but it also looks like large airliners might be stored there at present.

My mate wondered who flew them there (retired aircraft and stored ones) He thought it might be a private company that moves jets about, but I wondered whether it would be a normal rostered airline pilot, given they'd need to be used to flying each type.

Usually it’ll be contract pilots. Places like Kemble are a little small for the big jets, so you need people who are used to the difficulties of operating in and out of there in something the size of a 747. I do remember we retired some of our 747-200s there many years ago. Our own guys did the delivery flights, and wished they hadn’t! Even really light, as the aircraft tend to be when they’re going for scrap, a runway of around 5000’ is very tight for a 747. Our normal minimum would be 7000’.

« Reply #1692 on: 20 June, 2020, 09:13:25 pm »
Might be a lot more 747s soon. I heard BA stopped training programs for them

« Reply #1693 on: 20 June, 2020, 09:21:18 pm »
Might be a lot more 747s soon. I heard BA stopped training programs for them

They are all being wound down from passenger service by all airlines. Still a lot of freight ones though.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #1694 on: 29 June, 2020, 11:38:02 am »
Not so much interesting or unusual planes, more interesting flight paths.

I have noticed several times over the last week a C17 Globemaster flying into/out of Farnborough.  In itself unusual as FAB only has permission for biz jets up to 737 size.  The other day I tracked it flying to Papa in Hungary and this morning it flew in and within 30-60 minutes took off again and is currently over Northern France on a similar flight path presumably heading for Hungary again.

Anyone any thoughts? The only details Flightradar24 is displaying is the aircraft type.

« Reply #1695 on: 29 June, 2020, 01:14:40 pm »
Who's C17 was it does Flight Radar say, RAF, USAF ?

Edit. They probably belong to SAC which provides a strategic heavy lift capability for a consortium of countries. SAC C17s are based at Papa in Hungary.

https://www.sacprogram.org/en/Pages/The%20Strategic%20Airlift%20Capability.aspx

No idea why they are flying in and out of Farnborough though.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #1696 on: 29 June, 2020, 02:16:09 pm »
You're spot-on there Mr Colbeck.  Those are the tail markings.  I see that the UK is not part of SAC.

« Reply #1697 on: 29 June, 2020, 03:45:07 pm »
You're spot-on there Mr Colbeck.  Those are the tail markings.  I see that the UK is not part of SAC.

The UK doesn't need to be, because it has sufficient heavy strategic airlift capability c/o 8 C-17s. The SAC program is intended to give the smaller members of NATO access to heavy airlift that they otherwise wouldn't be able to afford by themselves.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #1698 on: 29 June, 2020, 05:21:56 pm »
I can see that but I commented on that fact in puzzlement due to the SAC C-17 landing here.

« Reply #1699 on: 16 July, 2020, 03:05:20 am »

My current ride, C-FGGB