Author Topic: Asparagus without the strawberries  (Read 2290 times)

megajoules expenditure

Asparagus without the strawberries
« on: 06 January, 2010, 05:12:52 pm »
We've just managed to reach the top of the list to get an allotment which we have now dug over and left to lie under the 2 feet of snow we now have.

Anyway I'm very keen to grow loads of asparagus and wanted to get as much info on what it likes/dislikes as possible to ensure success. Can anyone help??

Many Thanks. :)

Re: Asparagus without the strawberries
« Reply #1 on: 06 January, 2010, 07:35:28 pm »
You'll have a long wait - it takes about 3 years to get asparagus crowns to crop.

It likes to be well drained, and well fed. If you've got claggy soil then dig a shallow wide trench and fork some grit into the middle. Place the asparagus crowns on that, and mix some manure or garden compost into the soil that you use to cover them. aim to leave the row slightly mounded, as this will help drainage and identify where the asparagus is before it shoots.

Do not harvest any shoots in the first couple of years. Cut the fern like foliage back to ground level in late autumn. Mulch with manure or garden compost after cutting to feed and keep weeds away.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #2 on: 06 January, 2010, 09:14:06 pm »
Before planting try and get rid off all perennial weeds and remove as many stones from the soil as possible.

As you've just taken over the allotment you possibly don't know what was grown in the bed before but to avoid disease don't plant where there's been aspargus (unlikely in Gala ;)) or tatties grown in the last year or two.
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #3 on: 06 January, 2010, 09:27:57 pm »
What it doesn't like is asparagus beetle, and I have no suggestions about that. If you get 'em you're stuffed.   :-\
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

megajoules expenditure

« Reply #4 on: 07 January, 2010, 09:28:41 am »
Thanks.

Do you think it's best to cover the stalks with straw or similar in the winter for a bit of protection from the weather?

Cheers

You'll have a long wait - it takes about 3 years to get asparagus crowns to crop.

It likes to be well drained, and well fed. If you've got claggy soil then dig a shallow wide trench and fork some grit into the middle. Place the asparagus crowns on that, and mix some manure or garden compost into the soil that you use to cover them. aim to leave the row slightly mounded, as this will help drainage and identify where the asparagus is before it shoots.

Do not harvest any shoots in the first couple of years. Cut the fern like foliage back to ground level in late autumn. Mulch with manure or garden compost after cutting to feed and keep weeds away.

« Reply #5 on: 07 January, 2010, 02:53:07 pm »
I have seen a few people leave the cut ferns on top as protection, but they tend to blow away on my plot, so I havent bothered.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

megajoules expenditure

« Reply #6 on: 09 January, 2010, 10:07:40 am »
Thanks John and everyone.

I'll get some crowns ordered and give it a go. Hopefully the snow will be gone by about May 8)

I have seen a few people leave the cut ferns on top as protection, but they tend to blow away on my plot, so I havent bothered.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #7 on: 11 January, 2010, 02:20:54 pm »
i like asparagus but our garden has a big problem with convuluous
if you have persistent weeds then an asparagus bed would be a waste of time